Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Octane...
07/08/10 at 12:42:13

...a couple of interesting tidbits that may surprise some people...

"Many high-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression, and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline. A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power."

"Most fuel stations have two storage tanks (even those offering 3 or 4 octane levels), and you are given a mixture of the higher and lower octane fuel. Purchasing premium simply means more fuel from the higher octane tank; the detergents in the fuel are often the same."

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: Octane...
Reply #1 - 07/08/10 at 21:31:16

yup only use higher octane fuel if your car/bike requires it or it is detonating or knocking. Octane rating is basically the anti knock rating.  It is less likely to spontaniously combust from hotter engine temps or advanced timing or higher compression or forced induction. All of these modifications can also increase performance though so doing these performance mods can nessesitate the use of higher octane fuels, but higher octane fuel by itself will do nothing for your engine.  Some saabs have a afc computer that can bring turbo boost up to maximum until knocking is detected.  In the case of these computerized turbo systems the highest octane rating would actually have a performance advantage, but it's because the computer is modifying the engine characteristics.

Always thought it was silly when people use plus or intermediate octane ratings you either need regular or premium there usually isn't an inbetween unless your a sucker.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #2 - 07/09/10 at 06:49:22

what about external factors like the outside temp affecting the temp of the engine.  can a really hot summer day affect the temp of the engine enough to facilitate using a higher octane fuel?

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/09/10 at 07:56:11

Motor will run a little cooler on higher octane gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/09/10 at 10:00:21

Hashbrown wrote on 07/09/10 at 06:49:22:
what about external factors like the outside temp affecting the temp of the engine.  can a really hot summer day affect the temp of the engine enough to facilitate using a higher octane fuel?

If the heat is enough to cause predetonation and engine knock, it will help.... if not,.. it will do nothing...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/09/10 at 11:08:57

Reelthing lives around Houston & runs down to Galveston. He runs premium in the heat of summer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 07/09/10 at 11:16:29

been running 93 octane the first 4 tanks since i got the bike - put 87 in it last night.....cant feel a performance drop - but oddly the decel rumbles and pops are a little quieter and the off poof is a little softer sounding...mid 90's high humidity here in central NC

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/09/10 at 11:21:01

Higher octane gas burns slower,Its like retarding your spark It will run cooler and have less power than if you had a lower octane.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 07/09/10 at 13:19:09

Same as if you are going to horse it hard in hot weather w/ advanced timing, you may need a higher octane at sea level, but get it up in altitude a couple thousand feet, you probably won't need the higher octane.

Or "water inject" that sucker, and you won't need it either. Wink

red = added on edit

« Last Edit: 07/09/10 at 22:00:09 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 07/09/10 at 16:00:43

Routy, I beg to differ. At high altitudes the absolute pressure in the cylinder is lower because of the lower atmospheric pressure. This lower pressure also lowers temperatures. Thus, the octane requirement drops. I offer in evidence that gas sold in Denver and Cheyenne is usually 85 octane instead of the 87 common at lower altitudes.

Bill, I would like to see some evidence of your claim that higher octane gas burns slower or cooler. Can you cite a source?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/09/10 at 16:08:43

Charon wrote on 07/09/10 at 16:00:43:
Routy, I beg to differ. At high altitudes the absolute pressure in the cylinder is lower because of the lower atmospheric pressure. This lower pressure also lowers temperatures. Thus, the octane requirement drops. I offer in evidence that gas sold in Denver and Cheyenne is usually 85 octane instead of the 87 common at lower altitudes.

Bill, I would like to see some evidence of your claim that higher octane gas burns slower or cooler. Can you cite a source?

Its on the back of the Klotz bottles, right under the "No Wear" statement.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/09/10 at 17:32:23

Common knowledge my friend,Look it up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 07/09/10 at 21:51:34

Oh yeah, wanna bet ??? Angry
Just kiddin,.....the first 1/2 post kinda says I left out the word "won't".....as in "won't need hi octane Wink

But yep, hi octane gas burns slower,.....or always use to anyway.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/09/10 at 22:48:50

Routy wrote on 07/09/10 at 21:51:34:
Just kiddin,.....the first 1/2 post kinda says I left out the word "won't".....as in "won't need hi octane Wink

Yup,... I can see that..

Hell,... I've done that...  
Plenty...  
Foot comes out of your mouth a lot easier after a while...  Embarrassed...
Bill just nailed me for "adjusting the valves while running",... instead of "adjusting the valves while the engine was running"...
No way I can run that good.... Huh...

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 07/10/10 at 05:24:51

Was Bill always like that ? Undecided
Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Octane...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.