Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mounted Hyper-Lites on My Trunk (Read 288 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Mounted Hyper-Lites on My Trunk
07/07/10 at 21:10:19

Having just mounted a new luggage rack on my Savage (see signature), I decided it was a good time to install the Hyper-Lites that had been sitting on my shelf for a while.

I have an old-style JC Whitney trunk on the bike.  First, I tapped into the brake and running light wires and made a waterproof connector to connect the wires to the trunk.  This way, the trunk would still be easy and quick to remove.  The small black box is the flasher unit:

I got the waterproof connector from Eastern Beaver.

I made the wiring harness internal to the trunk and armored the wires with clear tubing to prevent damage to them:

I placed the lights themselves at the rear of the trunk.  They are mounted such that they face straight back (the rear of the trunk is curved):

The lights come on when I hit the brakes.  They blink five times then come on steady with each application of the brakes.  They're plenty bright, I think:

The job was easy, but time-consuming.  I'm happy with the results.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Mounted Hyper-Lites on My Trunk
Reply #1 - 07/07/10 at 23:55:27

nice job! Can't say they didn't see your brake light now.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/08/10 at 05:09:58

The job was easy, but time-consuming.  I'm happy with the results.

Time consuming,, seems nearly everything I DO is exactly that. I think it stems from paying attention to detail, doing work that wont fail later, is neat & clean looking. Its a typical job for you, very tidy. Looks good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #3 - 07/08/10 at 16:30:04

Digger, that's a fine installation. I have Hyper-Lites on both of my bikes. I have 16 LEDS on my S40 and 32 LEDS on my Bonneville. They are expensive but I want those idiots talking on their cell phones behind me to know when I hit the brakes. I don't even ride at night anymore. Down here in Florida they will run over you like a bug and just keep going.

Ride Safe
                                                                          Marine5317

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #4 - 08/07/10 at 12:51:31

Yeah that is a very neat functional addition.  Digger Thank you for the build pics - great post.  Did you use scotchlok connectors to tap the brake wires?

If you had gotten the standard 8x10 rack, would it be too short to accomodate mounting your JC Whitney trunk?  edit- oops you already had the Suzuki rack which is obviously much shorter - great!

I like the modified rack except it's a little long.

« Last Edit: 08/07/10 at 19:03:42 by ero4444 »  

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #5 - 08/07/10 at 13:06:40

Very nice!  I have a Gmax helmet with the 6 LED's in the rear that I would love to have go on with the brake light.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 08/07/10 at 19:15:26

ero4444 wrote on 08/07/10 at 12:51:31:
Yeah that is a very neat functional addition.  Digger Thank you for the build pics.  Did you use scotchlok connectors to tap the brake wires?

If you had gotten the standard 8x10 rack, would it be too short to accomodate mounting your JC Whitney trunk?  edit- oops you already had the Suzuki rack which is obviously much shorter - great!

I like the modified rack except it's a little long.

8" X 11 1/2" would have been perfect.  8" X 10" would work, but the trunk's mounting platform would extend a bit past the rear edge of the rack.....which is OK, I guess, but I didn't want that.

I did not tap into the brake wires.  Instead, I made a harness that plugs into the bike side of the brake wire connection (that sits under the rear seat on my bike (see signature)).  My homemade harness then Y's into two legs (I used these to form the "Y").  One leg of the "Y" gets plugged back into the brake light side of the brake wire connection and the other leg of the "Y" goes to the trunk.

I can remove my homemade harness any time I want and return the bike back to its OEM configuration back there.

I'd take a pic, except that things are taped up under the rear seat now and you'd not be able to see anything.

I got the connectors to make my Y-harness here.  The owner is very helpful.....the crimping tool he sells is an outrageous deal, IMO.

During this project, I learned how to make my own connectors.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #7 - 08/08/10 at 07:40:54

Yes that helps a lot, thanks.

Those tap connectors are impressive.  The movie demo makes me laugh though http://www.posi-lock.com/posi-tap.html , needs voiceover "In a world gone mad... "

I really enjoy your posts for the new materials.  High-density-something tape - never knew - gonna have to try some.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 08/08/10 at 13:28:16

I mounted 2 to my trunk in a similiar manner, but wired them to the high beam switch. I use them for people that are too close and ignore the brake light flash(s) that I give them.  Wink

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:27:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mounted Hyper-Lites on My Trunk

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.