Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drilling through the side rails for bag mounts (Read 221 times)
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Drilling through the side rails for bag mounts
07/07/10 at 19:18:53

I'd like to bolt saddle bags to my side rails instead of running them under the seat without relocating my signal lights.  I'd really like to be able to use hard brackets or ghost bracket type mounts without drilling any more holes in the fender or doing other "advanced metal work".  

The back and center mounting bolts screw into the back of the (sissy bar) side rails while the front two holes are drilled all the way through with nuts on the outside.  It seems like I could drill out those two mounting points all the way through and slightly enlarge the holes so that I could use the same type of mounting bolts as are on the front.  Then I could attach the hard mounts to the two bolts that now come all the way through.  

This would be a totally reverse-able upgrade since I could just replace the side rails if I didn't like it.  Has anyone else done this?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Drilling through the side rails for bag mounts
Reply #1 - 07/07/10 at 20:38:27

Other have loosened the rails & slipped the strap under & tightened, to pinch/secure the bags. Yea, it means cutting the stra[p between the throwover bags, but it can sure look good that way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sax Man
YaBB Newbies

Straight ahead and
strive for tone!

Reply #2 - 07/08/10 at 01:40:17

I bought these bags at Leatherup.

Then I removed all the straps, buckles, yoke, zippers etc.  I had to cut the top edge off the back of the bags to remove the zippers.  Then finished the raw edge by lacing a piece of vinyl over the top.  Contact cemented the vinyl strip on first then punched the holes with a large hot needle (bags are vinyl)  then laced.

Next I fabricated ghost brackets from 1/4 in. aluminum stock.  The bushing on the left is fastened to the bracket with a 5/16x18 bolt.  The smaller threaded hole is an M6x1.0 and the bracket is fastened to the bag with small bolts and washers from the inside of the bag screwed into tapped holes in the bracket - four across the top and two at the bottom.

I replaced the upper fender rail bolt with a longer one (I used a 5/16x18) and secured it with a coupling nut cut to the needed length.

Here you can see how the bushing fits into the rear hole of the fender rail where the signal light was originally mounted.  The mounting bolt (with washer) fastens through the hole under the fender rail the same way the signal light was fastened.

Here are a couple views of the mounted bags.  I used a stainless acorn nut on the front mount.  Both bags can be removed (2 nuts and 2 bolts) in about two minutes.

Made velcro fasteners - very easy to use and no buckles to fumble with or straps to get in your way.

Pappa's got brand new bags!

IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #3 - 07/08/10 at 13:24:55

Sam,

Great job!  I love it.

Ed

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/08/10 at 13:45:29

Yep, thats class. Only thing I mighta done differently would be to dodge the velcro & use double d-rings. Somethin about velcro leaves me cold. But, not near like those blasted Theme Bikes..aaaarrrggghhh...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/22/12 at 20:40:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/07/10 at 20:38:27:
Other have loosened the rails & slipped the strap under & tightened, to pinch/secure the bags. Yea, it means cutting the stra[p between the throwover bags, but it can sure look good that way.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/23/12 at 04:38:43

Nicely done Sax, really clean looking   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 09/23/12 at 09:52:36

yeah!!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/23/12 at 19:54:28

Sax you made that look awesome.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 09/23/12 at 20:16:53

Makes me wish I had a TIG welder here at the house so I could do that myself.  Huh

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
hydrophish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/15/14 at 12:05:57

How much could I pay you to fabricate me a pair of those brackets?  I've been struggling with getting my Viking bags mounted.  Already moved the tail-lights to the license plate.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:34:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilling through the side rails for bag mounts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.