Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: SeaFoam?
Reply #15 - 07/08/10 at 09:17:06

bill67 wrote on 07/08/10 at 09:13:48:
Its best for you not to use Sea Foam.

Why?  You use it, right?  I was honestly asking for information on the product.  You are one of many who believe in the stuff, right?  Am I not allowed to make an informed decision, or am I just supposed to use or not use it because someone tells me to?  
Don't get defensive.  Give me information.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 07/08/10 at 09:21:59

Don't use Sea Foam Baby you will have to drain the liquid water it causes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 07/08/10 at 10:53:41

I've tried it several times on bikes that have been sitting a while...
But had no success... I always ended up pulling the carbs and manually cleaning them...

It may. or may not work, in a maintenance  routine... but it's not a cure all... and gas already has cleaning agents in it...

Better than Sea foam,... pull the fuel line at the petcock, let the gas dribble out of the line, and fill the line with carb cleaner... then run the bike for a few minutes...
That's mainlining... Grin...
That just might help a sticky slide or float,... but clogged jets and passages still need R&R cleaning...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 07/08/10 at 11:50:12

Your using a carb cleaner is a good idea,Sea Foam is a carb cleaner,Around here if you want gas with cleaner in it you have to use the 92 octane.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #19 - 07/08/10 at 12:08:40

Seafoam works for me under the following circumstances:

1. Engines that I only run a few hours a year (like my tiller). My observation is that the same equipment that in the past I have had to clean the carbs on to get it running in the spring, I have not needed to clean the carbs or anything else in the spring in the years that I put Seafoam in the last tank of fuel before storage. (I always run the tanks empty before storage.)
2. On engines that haven't had the fuel run through them quickly. They will "straighten up" quicker if I put the recommended amount of seafoam in the tank than if I just run the fuel through and then refill.
3. If I get some "bad" fuel, sometimes a dose of Seafoam will straighten it out - not always, I've had some expensive experiences in the past.

Charon,

One thing that I would caution you on is the assumption that the fuel you get is what the pump says that it is. The additives to fuel are not always distributed evenly in the storage tanks. If you ever get a "slug" of additives instead of gasoline, you can be spending a bunch of money on catalytic converters, and other sensors etc to get your vehicle running again. I know that my observations are limited, but they do have "controls." Basically under as similar circumstances as possible, I've been able to get desired results by adding Seafoam, that did not occur without adding anything. This is based on years of observation/experience.

By the way, if you ever want to have a frustrating experience, have your vehicle quit a few miles after filling up while on vacation. Then drain the gas tank to find out that it is full of either crud or almost pure additives and then try to get the station where you bought the stuff cover your repair costs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/08/10 at 15:35:47

I finally fired up the chainsaws & ran them a bit, then dumped the fuel & ran them till they ran dry.
The Kawa W 650 has an accelerator pump that doesnt take being left sitting in gas so well, maybe the chemical formulation for the diaphragm was decided on prior to the alcohol, but, for whatever reason, it goes down the tubes if left to soak for too long, so Im draining that carb bowl when its parked for more than a few days.
The S-40 has yet to cause me grief for allowing it to sit for extended periods, but I know that every time I let it sit till I have tio use prime to get it to strat, I am loading the jets w/ varnish & will eventually be forced to go in & clean it up. I do run some diesel thru, once in a while, but I dont think thats as good as gas, I just do it cuz I wind up adding gas to a can I had used for diesel.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 07/08/10 at 18:32:32

JOG I think some Sea foam in that kaw carb will get that accelerator pump working right.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 07/08/10 at 21:10:30

babyhog wrote on 07/07/10 at 09:45:29:
....I just noticed where Digger told Cursal that its not a good idea to put SeaFoam in the crankcase, but according to SeaFoam's website, it says its fine.

see bullet - "After using SeaFoam, do I need to change my oil"
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html#nogo

also, the next to last bullet mentions motorcycles, so they haven't forgotten about us.....

Hi Baby.

I said that because I believe it is not good practice to use additives of any type in the motor oil of an engine with a wet clutch.  It becomes a science experiment.

Also, I was not able to find anywhere on the Sea Foam web site that the product was safe to use with a wet clutch.

BTW, I use Sea Foam all of the time as a fuel stabilizer....I think it works better than the red Sta-Bil for this purpose.  However, the green (Marine) Sta-Bil may be better than Sea Foam for this application with ethanol.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #23 - 07/08/10 at 21:54:15

ethanol<gasoline<diesel

Fact of chemistry you'll get better milage out of diesel than gasoline and better out of gasoline than ethanol because there is less chemical energy in them.  

Nobody has mentioned seafoaming the intake.  You can see fun videos of it online.. you drop half the can into a vaccuum tube and then turn the engine off.. wait 10 minutes and restart.. lots of toxic smoke out  your tail pipe.. cool effect.. probably pointless aside from cool effect..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #24 - 07/09/10 at 09:46:14

Digger wrote on 07/08/10 at 21:10:30:
babyhog wrote on 07/07/10 at 09:45:29:
....I just noticed where Digger told Cursal that its not a good idea to put SeaFoam in the crankcase, but according to SeaFoam's website, it says its fine.

see bullet - "After using SeaFoam, do I need to change my oil"
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html#nogo

also, the next to last bullet mentions motorcycles, so they haven't forgotten about us.....

Hi Baby.

I said that because I believe it is not good practice to use additives of any type in the motor oil of an engine with a wet clutch.  It becomes a science experiment.

Also, I was not able to find anywhere on the Sea Foam web site that the product was safe to use with a wet clutch.

BTW, I use Sea Foam all of the time as a fuel stabilizer....I think it works better than the red Sta-Bil for this purpose.  However, the green (Marine) Sta-Bil may be better than Sea Foam for this application with ethanol.

Thanks Digger.  That's part of why I asked the question (the crankcase/wet-clutch comment).  I understand some chemistry, physics, etc, and I think I'm a pretty smart gal, but engines and such are beyond me so far.  I'm learning - mostly from you guys, then as topics arise, I let my husband further explain.  So its a learning process.  But I whole-heartedly appreciate your input.    

Hey James, I don't think I wanna try any cool effect if it emits toxic smoke!   Grin    How is your weight loss coming along?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 07/09/10 at 11:42:14

Sea Foam causes no problems with wet clutches,Its not a super lube its a super cleaner with a little oil in it.I and a lot of people I know have done it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #26 - 07/09/10 at 13:58:44

I am one of those noobs who has gotten their 1st street bike (5000 miles and about 1 year ago) Cheesy
And I don't know sh!t from shinola, but I am learning from all the great members on this site.

And I will one day feel at ease pulling my carb and cleaning it by hand, just not today. I'm getting experience each time I work with my mechanic and learning more so I will be able to do most maintence myself.

I have been watching youtube and reading wikipedia so I am better educated on what a wet-clutch is and how it works.

I don't think using seafoam in the oil is a bad thing. So many people use seafoam in wet-clutch machines. Just search around the web for biker forums.

Just can't come up with any reason why that would make the clutch slip.
I can see it cleaning off the gunk on the plates, but not making it slip.
If anything seems it would make shifting smoother with greater ease of grabbing the "raised-gooves" on the plates.

Open to hearing reasons why one would say it would cause damage to our wet-clutch.

Would love to see some documentation of seafoam wrecking a wet-clutch. (not really, but if there is a claim... proof to back it up please)

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 07/09/10 at 14:14:35

Charon -

Tell me if I'm wrong.  My car has a computer that gives average mileage, among other parameters.

Around here, Shell is the only brand of gas that still has no ethanol.

When I buy any other brand, I get just about 10% (3.5 mpg) less mileage than Shell.

I measure this difference in open freeway driving, over the same route, same weather, temp., etc.  So, if the energy difference is only 3%, why do I get 10% worse mileage with ethanol laden fuel?  I though tthat ethanol has far less energy, over gasoline, than just 3%.  Am I in error?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 07/09/10 at 14:24:22

10% is about the difference I get too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #29 - 07/09/10 at 15:51:52

Jerry, ethanol itself contains about 30% less energy than gasoline, per unit volume. Gasoline is a mixture of dozens of petroleum products, and its formulation changes from refinery to refinery and from season to season. Thus, the energy content of gasoline is variable over a range of a few percent.  I base my 3% on the idea that 10% of the gasoline has been removed (thus removing 10% of the energy) and replaced with a product containing 70% the energy of gasoline (thus replacing 7% of the energy).

None of my machinery has an instantaneous mpg computer, so I am left to figure mpg tank-by-tank. I have made an attempt to note whether I buy "100% pure gas" or E-10, and to correlate mpg with the notes. I have been unable to do so. The car I was (and am) using has averaged just over 29 mpg for nearly 90000 miles. At that mileage a 3% difference is about 1 mpg, and it seems to be swamped by different weather, A/C use, traffic, and so forth. Too, when I fill the tank with, say, E-10 there is some remaining regular gas and vice-versa.

I do not know of any Shell stations locally. But we do have quite a few stations claiming variations on the theme of no ethanol, so getting gas with or without ethanol is usually easy (if you believe the pump labels). We also have a Williams pipeline terminal and tank farm near Doniphan, NE. On almost any day one can watch fuel trucks pull into the terminal and leave with fuel. Those trucks carry pretty much any brand, both national and local. I cannot know whether they all carry away the same gas from the same tank, although common belief is that they do. It is said the only differences among gas brands is the additive package, and it is said the truck drivers are supposed to put the additive into the truck before it is filled with gas. I have no idea where the ethanol is added. I do know you can smell the difference between gas with and gas without ethanol.

I cannot explain the mpg difference displayed by your car's computer. I would try tracking the mileage the old-fashioned way and see if the data correlates. But thank you for your input - it is interesting.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SeaFoam?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.