babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
SeaFoam?
07/07/10 at 09:45:29

Ok, there are so many comments on this forum about SeaFoam.  SeaFoam this, SeaFoam that...  I don't know a darn thing about SeaFoam.  There are a few SeaFoam products, so what are we talking about?  Motor Treatment, Trans Tune, Deep Creep???  

I just noticed where Digger told Cursal that its not a good idea to put SeaFoam in the crankcase, but according to SeaFoam's website, it says its fine.

see bullet - "After using SeaFoam, do I need to change my oil"
http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html#nogo

also, the next to last bullet mentions motorcycles, so they haven't forgotten about us.

So..... tell me all about SeaFoam, so I don't have to read their entire website, and still not understand.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: SeaFoam?
Reply #1 - 07/07/10 at 10:33:49

You want the motor treatment its ok to put it in the oil,I've none it to cars and motorcycles,The can tells how much to use in oil and gasoline.You don't have to change the oil after you use it in the oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #2 - 07/07/10 at 12:14:30

My can says that it is a gas stablizer, drying agent, gunk cleaner, and a whole host of other things. I don't really measure it, but put about a shot glass in my tank every so often. I also use it in all of my other stuff like mowers, etc. Good protection from shelac in winter storage.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 07/07/10 at 13:50:33

The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Seafoam says it contains about half "pale oil" (20w motor oil); about a third naptha, and about a sixth isopropyl alcohol. I say "about" because apparently there are two or three formulations differing slightly in their composition. Seafoam's website says it was originally developed in about 1942 to clean lacquer and varnish from clogged outboard carburetors. Let's look at these things.

Outboards of the era used premix, that is, gas mixed with oil. If someone poured a solvent into a carburetor to clean out the grunge, then started the outboard, it would be running with no oil and might be damaged. This is probably why Seafoam included oil. Naptha is not very different from gasoline, and in fact is sold as "white gas" or Coleman fuel. It also sold as lighter fluid and spot remover. It will dissolve at least some deposits, but so will gasoline. Isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol, is another solvent and will assist in dissolving carburetor deposits. It will also attract at least a little water and help move it through the system.

Four-stroke engines do not need oil in their fuel. Thus, the "pale oil" is of very little value. Gasoline is itself a very light oil and will provide plenty of lubrication for carburetor parts, especially as those carb parts normally run wet with gasoline anyway. Little comment is needed on the naptha, since it is almost indistinguishable from gasoline. Seafoam's website says it will remove small amounts of water, but goes on to say liquid water will need to be drained and that the Seafoam will not remove it. In any case, much US gasoline has ethanol (another alcohol) added anyway, and in quantities far greater than the small amount in Seafoam.

For use in engine oil, the little bit of 20W oil will have almost no effect. By the time the engine oil gets up to temperature, the naptha and isopropyl alcohol will have evaporated out, and thus will have essentially no effect either.

Seafoam has been around for a long time. It has a lot of believers and a lot of anecdotal testimony as to its effectiveness. But, as far as I have been able to find, there have been no actual tests of its effectiveness. The conclusion I reach is that it is unlikely to do either good or harm.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 07/07/10 at 14:20:58

Yep I did put it in my oil.

I can see putting it in gas with no worries.
Although, I did not think about using it on a wet-clutch. Undecided

Hey bill, you putting this stuff in your Savage's oil too?

The good news is that there has NOT been any reports of seafoam doing damage to ones motor when using it. (not sure about wet-clutches) so no harm, even if it doesn't do anything good.

I thought I'd try it...no harm in trying.

I would like to know more about adding it to oil on wet-clutch machines.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/07/10 at 15:09:00

Yep you put in in the oil it cleans the engine and clutch,Put it in your car oil too it will run a lot better,If it a new car it will keep it clean.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/07/10 at 15:14:53

Charon thinks ethanol is the best thing that ever happened to gas,I can get 100 gasoline here it gives you about 5% better mileage and power than ethanol. Charon has never tried Sea Foam so he has no idea what it will do.Charon uses Gasoline with ethanol in it to clean his carb. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 07/07/10 at 15:48:08

Once again Bill writes without thinking. I have said, and on this very forum, that ethanol produces less energy than "pure gas." It is on the order of 3% less. That is, roughly, the difference between 60 mpg and 62 mpg. A difference easily swamped by other variables such as speed, wind, temperature, and so on. In short, without very careful measurements you will never notice the difference. The ethanol does raise the octane rating of the fuel, and I have also commented that it reduced knocking on a '79 Lincoln I used to have. I do not necessarily think ethanol is the "best thing that ever happened to gas," but at 10% I certainly do not think it is harmful. I can speak from first-hand experience when I say I have been using it for thirty years with no evidence of damage to any of my equipment.

Back when "gasohol" was introduced, people were cautioned that its use might loosen up deposits and dirt in the fuel system, and might result in clogged fuel filters. I think that is a pretty good testimonial to its solvent and cleaning abilities.

Bill is correct that I have never used Seafoam. I do not intend to do so, because I think it is useless. IT WILL DO NOTHING FOR A CARBURETOR THAT IS ALREADY CLEAN. There is absolutely nothing in it that can do a better job of dissolving crud than ordinary, clean gasoline can do. And until someone (yes, you, Bill) can cite a controlled test proving Seafoam works I will continue to believe it is useless.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/07/10 at 16:08:56

Charon I want a control test proving corn gasoline is better than 100% gasoline.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 07/07/10 at 16:45:26

Charon, I'd like to thank you for an imformative, unbiased "review".  I talked to my hubby about it, and he said he wouldn't use it except for a couple extreme circumstances either.  

I was more curious, because I see so many threads, people say something is wrong, and someone throws out "run some Seafoam through it" response.  I could have read their website for an hour and not gotten the information that you gave me.  My husband also knew more about it, although I hadn't previously asked him.

Anyway, as with anything like this, there will be some on each side of the debate.  And I appreciate hearing both sides.  That way, I can make an informed decision of my own.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 07/07/10 at 16:56:23

Once again, Bill writes without thinking. I, at least, have never claimed ethanol gasoline is better than "100% pure gasoline." I have said it has better solvent abilities, and that it is higher octane. I have also said it contains less energy per gallon.

However, the original topic of the thread was Seafoam. I stated my belief that Seafoam is worthless, and explained why. The subject of ethanol fuel was mentioned only in connection with the alcohol in Seafoam, until it was raised in the form of "..uses gasoline with ethanol in it to clean his carb." I stated that until I see a controlled test showing Seafoam works, I will continue to believe it is worthless. I did concede that, while I think Seafoam is worthless, at least it is also harmless.

It is also incorrect to have stated that I use ethanol gasoline to clean carburetors. I don't need to clean them, because they are not dirty. Using clean, fresh fuel means the carburetors stay clean in the first place. I use ethanol fuel because I have found it to work well, to cause no problems, and to be a few cents per gallon less expensive.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/07/10 at 16:59:17

If your hubby and charon who neither one have ever used it say its no good its best for you not to use it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/07/10 at 17:22:53

babyhog wrote on 07/07/10 at 16:45:26:
Charon, I'd like to thank you for an imformative, unbiased "review".  I talked to my hubby about it, and he said he wouldn't use it except for a couple extreme circumstances either.  

I was more curious, because I see so many threads, people say something is wrong, and someone throws out "run some Seafoam through it" response.  I could have read their website for an hour and not gotten the information that you gave me.  My husband also knew more about it, although I hadn't previously asked him.

Anyway, as with anything like this, there will be some on each side of the debate.  And I appreciate hearing both sides.  That way, I can make an informed decision of my own.  

so your hubby will use it in a extreme circumstance... That tells me it works for him when the chips are down.  But would rather clean it another way, and if that way won't work... seafoam it.
And for others... if it's not in the book don't do it approach to life   Roll Eyes

yes, I would prefer to tear it apart and know it's clean myself.  but quite a few here pick up their 1st bike and don't know sh!t from shinola.  And their 1st task is to clean a carb that's been sitting for awhile.  It's much easier to hand them a can of fixit then to tell them to tear the carb apart.  This will send them running to the dealer to either trade in their bike or buy a new carb.  it might be a lazy fix but it does work.  and I don't hear anyone saying they had to replace a carb cause it ate it up.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 07/08/10 at 09:03:42

bill67 wrote on 07/07/10 at 16:59:17:
If your hubby and charon who neither one have ever used it say its no good its best for you not to use it.

Where did I say that my husband has never used it?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 07/08/10 at 09:13:48

Its best for you not to use Sea Foam.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:13:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SeaFoam?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.