Send Topic Print
Sputtering (Read 218 times)
sk8te74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sputtering
07/06/10 at 07:38:28

Last week on my way home from work she just died when I was rolling to a stop with the clutch in.  Threw her into res, just for sh*& and giggles, and she started up and got it home.  When I got home I threw it bock to on and it idled fine so I put it away.

Fast forward to this week, pulled her outta the garage and she wouldn't start without giving it a lil gas.  finally got it to idle properly and took her for a ride.  She ran great for the first 15-20km and then just died at a light.  Got it started again and it started sputtering while I was driving, then it died again.

When I really honk on the gas, it seems like it's choking.  It just sputters and back fires to high hell.

CAN SOMEONE PLS HELP ME!!!!!

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Re: Sputtering
Reply #1 - 07/06/10 at 07:48:45

might be the famous petcock issue.  first thing i would do and this is good for the bike anyways is install a cheap clear fuel filter.  this will allow you to see if your getting any fuel to the carb from the tank.  if its a fuel delivery issue you got your answer and need a new petcock (raptor).  if not come back and ask one of the Guru's (oldfeller, Lancer, ect)

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
sk8te74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/06/10 at 07:59:52

Ya it's a 1988 and I don't know how well it was maintained befor me.  It's my first bike and it's not helping me like the sport.  lol.  I did put on a short pipe but it ran fine when I first put it on.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/06/10 at 08:14:01

sk8te74 wrote on 07/06/10 at 07:38:28:
Last week on my way home from work she just died when I was rolling to a stop with the clutch in.  Threw her into res, just for sh*& and giggles, and she started up and got it home.  When I got home I threw it bock to on and it idled fine so I put it away.

Fast forward to this week, pulled her outta the garage and she wouldn't start without giving it a lil gas.  finally got it to idle properly and took her for a ride.  She ran great for the first 15-20km and then just died at a light.  Got it started again and it started sputtering while I was driving, then it died again.

When I really honk on the gas, it seems like it's choking.  It just sputters and back fires to high hell.

CAN SOMEONE PLS HELP ME!!!!!

Did you try running Sea Foam in the gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/06/10 at 08:14:13

replace the vac line with tight fitting hose
might need clamps on the ends
when you pull it off, shouldn't be any gas in it.

WWW   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #5 - 07/06/10 at 08:53:43

in your case i would do an overhaul of the bike.  most of the stuff is cheap to do.  first thing, look at the status quo of the bike.  has is been modded or is it stk.  stk will be easier to diagnose the issue.  if its modded, you need to first look at the carb to see if the fuel/air screw is visible, thats so you know the previous owners were tuning it.  i would take the carb out. clean it and possibly rejet depending on the mods.  get new hoses for the thing like verslagen said.  also to make it easier on the Guru's of the site, whenever you post a question list the status quo of the bike and what you've already done to it.  that will eliminate redundancy.  Good luck buddy Wink

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/06/10 at 09:22:09

Clean the crabeater.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/06/10 at 10:58:56

Very likely petcock...
Here's an easy test...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #8 - 07/06/10 at 18:54:43

That is almost exactly the issue I had with my '07.

Guru's here advised it could be the seal inside the petcock when in the 'on' position was poked.

Did the test of turning petcock to prime and ran with it like that...All good since.  I do get start up issue's if I don't turn to prime and give a minute for fuel to start flowing into carby before starting bike.

Just remember to turn to 'on' when you get off.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #9 - 07/07/10 at 00:09:07

I ran my petcock in prime for 4 months.

Bought a stock replacement and added clear tubing from tank to carb..I like to see when there is gas and no gas.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 07/07/10 at 05:31:27

same issue! i replaced the guts in my petcock, and it was great for a while, now every once in a while it comes back.....i'll just run in prime and remember to shut if off lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 07/07/10 at 08:00:02

I never shut mine off...didn't know there could be issues if I didn't...l never had an issue..

How do you shut off a stock petcock?
I only have
Fuel
Prime
Res

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/07/10 at 08:06:44

you don't shut them off its off in fuel position when motor not running.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #13 - 07/07/10 at 14:33:06

...and would there be any harm in leaving it in prime all the time?
...even when not running?

IP Logged
redsavage87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/07/10 at 21:56:04

If I'm not mistaken, leaving it in prime would be the same as leaving the fuel in the "on" position (on a bike that has an on/off petcock). Leaving it on the fuel position only releases gas if the bike is on (courtesy of your vacuum line).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:21:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.