Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Speed Wobbles (Read 443 times)
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Re: Speed Wobbles
Reply #15 - 07/07/10 at 07:56:16

some tubes have that L shaped stem already mounted on them.

I agree that makes checking and adjusting tire pressure very easy. +1

Perfect if your doing lots of solo and 2up riding.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 07/07/10 at 08:11:57

My V50 moto guzzi had small shocks in the fork,2 oz. of oil only for lube in the forks.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #17 - 07/07/10 at 13:44:40

hey, thanks for all the replies and help. i jacked the bike up last night and spun the front tire. bad news: there is a noticeable movement side to side. good news: this may be the culprit. so i'll have to get it trued and see where to go from there. i've trued bicycle rims before, but i don't think i want to do it on the Savage. I looked up how to do a motorcycle wheel and i would need to buy more tools, and stands, and dial indicators than would make it worth it. hopefully this will cure it and won't cost me too much.

WD, i'm not sure how a hard and soft tire combo, or really any combo, would cause the headset to lock up... might cause it to ride funny Huh but, then again, you're the one with the scars to prove it.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 07/07/10 at 15:13:23

No dial indicator needed. A wire poking out of a block of wood to set-up right by the rim will let you see the direction & amount of variation from true. You can build a stand, not hard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #19 - 07/09/10 at 14:51:10

i went ahead and took the tire to a shop to true it. $35 to true and $25 to dismount and remount the tire. not bad, seeing as how everyone else wanted $70 per hour  Shocked. thought about doing it myself, but i don't have any of the equipment to do it, not to mention any bead breakers or tire irons. i know i could build the stuff for cheaper, but i have an apartment so i can't really keep that sort of stuff in a garage or anything. whatever, these guys do dirt bike rims all the time so i trust them with something that could potentially kill me  Tongue
i'll take it on the highway this weekend; hour and a half to where my parents live for gettysburg bike week. we'll see if truing solved the problem. i'm gonna harass the sh!t out of some harley riders this weekend haha. i hope i see some other savages there too!  Grin

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 07/09/10 at 14:58:55

but i have an apartment

That does make a difference, fo sho

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #21 - 07/09/10 at 16:13:35

groupus wrote on 07/04/10 at 18:19:43:
surprisingly, the wobbles seem to stop, or at least greatly reduce when i take my left hand off the bars. figure that one out

Gripping the bars too tightly can cause a slight wobble to develop and then increase. The grip causes a feedback loop, the more effort you put into stopping the wobble will actually make it worse.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/09/10 at 18:43:41

I had a sticky head bearing that didn't wobble, but made it hard to drive a straight line.

WWW   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #23 - 07/12/10 at 11:51:05

truing didn't do anything  Angry. best solution now is to slow down or ride with one hand. i've gone over the head bearing, front rim, rear wheel alignment and pressure, and weight distribution. only thing i can figure is its the tires??? so if the problem is the difference between the sticky avon front and the harder dunlop rear, what type of tires could i replace the rear with, other than another avon, that would have the same kind of rubber compound? (rear will wear out before the front)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 07/12/10 at 11:56:08

How fast are you going when it starts?
Is the front tire seated fullly on the rim? Look carefully at the line that runs next to the bead & make sure its the same distance from the rim, all the way around on both sides.
Do you have a fork brace?
How does it handle in a long sweeper?
What setting are the rear shocks set on. Look at them, make sure they are the same & Id set them on the firmest ride possible, because when the rear end goes up & down, the rake angle changes a bit. When mine starts wobbling in a sweeper, I can feel the rear end going up & down. Yes, there set as tight as I can get them..

Look for a stretch of good, smooth road & see if it acts different there.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #25 - 07/12/10 at 12:17:00

at about 70 is where it starts and as i accelerate, it gets more intense. it doesnt always do it, but at those speeds it is provoked into a wobble much more easily and doesn't want to stop. at lower speeds i can start a wobble by shaking it, but it'll return to straight.
as far as seated properly, i can see the edge of the whitewall vary distance from the rim as it spins. is this something i should talk to the guys who trued the wheel about because they had to remove and remount and balance the tire when they were done? but theres no difference between now and before they fooled with the thing... so maybe thats not where the issue is, unless they remounted it in exactly the same way as before.  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 07/12/10 at 13:43:28

maybe a bad tire.
one tire I mounted myself didn't seat completely till the second time too.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 07/12/10 at 18:19:07

The whitewall section is going to have some color break waviness. That's normal, the bead edge doesn't get much attention.

Go out to your bike, kneel at the front tire, close your eyes, and "feel up" the front tire like your prom date. Any high spots, low spots, side to side peaks or edges?. Do the same to the back tire.

Deflate the tires and roll the bead just enough to see if the wire has taken a "set", or kink. No need to pull them for that check, your thumb will move the sidewall in enough. Go all the way around both tires, both sides, using a good light source.

Get on the manufacturers' websites and send them the coding from the sidewalls. Not the size code, the tiny printing that will tell them when the tire was made and at which plant. Bike tires do have a shelf life, just because they are new to you does not mean they are fresh tires. No telling how long they were on the shop shelf or how long they were at Parts Unlimited or whatever distributor the shop orders from. Or, for that matter, how long they sat in the importer's warehouse once they were offloaded from an intermodal container after coming across the Pacific.

I've been doing this since 1987, including several stints in independent bike shops. I've only ever had one bad Dunlop tire, and it was a D402 Harley tire, 80/90/21 mounted on a VN800A Kawasaki.

I'm betting your Avon has a bad section of body cord or a kinked bead. We sent dozens of Avons back at the last shop I worked for, defective bead wires and or bad carcass lay up. I'll run a Speedmaster, but you couldn't pay me enough to run a Venom.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #28 - 07/14/10 at 02:47:38

WD wrote on 07/12/10 at 18:19:07:
The whitewall section is going to have some color break waviness. That's normal, the bead edge doesn't get much attention.

Go out to your bike, kneel at the front tire, close your eyes, and "feel up" the front tire like your prom date. Any high spots, low spots, side to side peaks or edges?. Do the same to the back tire.

Deflate the tires and roll the bead just enough to see if the wire has taken a "set", or kink. No need to pull them for that check, your thumb will move the sidewall in enough. Go all the way around both tires, both sides, using a good light source.

... Bike tires do have a shelf life, just because they are new to you does not mean they are fresh tires...

I'm betting your Avon has a bad section of body cord or a kinked bead. We sent dozens of Avons back at the last shop I worked for, defective bead wires and or bad carcass lay up. I'll run a Speedmaster, but you couldn't pay me enough to run a Venom.

I have Avon Venom both front and rear, and I ride quite comfortably on tarmac, broken tarmac, cobblestone, broken tarmac, and any other kind of poorly maintained hard surface you can think of.

The tires now have about 11.000 Km on them, that's about 7000 miles.
They offer excellent grip, I can actually steer through throttle going up highway ramps, and in Italy these ramps are both tight and steep (like on multi-story car parks) the only time I feel uncomfortable is in the rain - but then the Venom is a semi-slick...

The day I will have to change my tires, I might well buy a new set of Venoms (because I'll have got used to their response) or go for something more "rainy" and more touristic-oriented

These, for example, are the PIRELLI Mandrake, as I had fitted to my old Moto Guzzi; not as performing as the Avons, perhaps, but they got me through many years of riding safely in the rain...

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #29 - 07/14/10 at 12:22:57

i've felt that front tire up like a... well nevermind, but it seems legit. no bumps, bulges, tears, nicks, waviness, or other deformations. bead looks seated all the way around too. have not checked the year date though - keep forgetting to write down the numbers.
my verdict for now is that there is "something" unkosher going on with one or both of the tires. although it feels like its coming from the front, i did have problems before with the rear being oversized. i hate to leave it at that with a potentially dangerous problem like this. i paid good money for those tires that have less than 3000 miles, and i'm poor so there's not way i'm gonna ditch them yet. i've really run out of things to look for on the bike  Undecided. any other suggestions are welcome.

just as a matter of interest, what type of front tire would one want to run with a Darksider rear tire? - seeing as how that type of tire is a harder rubber compound than most bike tires... just curious, ya know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speed Wobbles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.