Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack (Read 1634 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Re: Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack
Reply #45 - 08/16/12 at 15:09:10

Got the call, my rack is ready to be picked up. I'll try to toss some pic's up tomorrow night. And I have a trip planned for the Sept long weekend so we'll give her a test then and I'll let you know how it works out.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #46 - 08/16/12 at 15:27:27

Looking forward to seeing it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #47 - 08/16/12 at 16:08:28

Raask makes a nice one.http://www.raask.se/ind-eng.htm

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 03/27/14 at 14:36:39

Bump.

For anyone else searching, there is a new rack (from hong kong) on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310439820076?item=310439820076&frommaketrack=true&vie... (in case that link dies, search for seller "dream6625" and item "Backrest Sissy Bar Suzuki Savage LS400 LS650 87-97 #r" they also have a few other sissy bars but only one with a rack, which is the #r part)

I might pick it up and if so will report on its quality. Just emailed the seller to verify the rack and the bar come together for that price (~ $140 USD shipped) and a few questions about installation details. There are no current reviews of this item although I found one good ebay feedback (and no neg) on one of the other s40 sissybars with similar mounting (but no rack).

Also to add regarding the raask rack, I contacted them and want to mention the staff (Sivert) was very good about responding to my request and providing information. According to him, some countries had slightly different bikes and his carrier didn't fit there, I wasn't confident enough judging from the pics to buy one (the screw holes looked a little different from what is shown in my repair manual) but I encourage anyone who is looking for a rack to at least check them out because again his email support was very good. They are Sweden based.

At this point I'm thinking either that ebay one or the OEM (despite the weak weld reports, I'll just avoid heavy loads). If anyone knows other new options or has tried that one from ebay, info would be appreciated. It's unfortunately the OEM model seems so weak.

Attached a picture of the ebay rack. I'm wondering if it goes under the stock chrome piece that would be in that area, or just replaces it (which might not look very good). The OEM sissybar replaces that part but has identical styling, whereas this one is very flat. Thoughts?

s40_rack.JPG
  IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 05/07/14 at 15:48:21

An update on the ebay item I mentioned in the previous reply. I decided to buy it. So far I'm very happy. I think the total with shipping from Asia to NYC was ~135 USD. Pictures at: http://imgur.com/a/mNhRZ

The only drawback is that it's not compatible with the stock chrome side handles that are on the rear fender, assuming you have the same ones I did (they are shown in one of the pictures linked). This also means it's probably not compatible with the stock rear turn signals (although I'm not 100% sure on that since I had already changed mine to aftermarket).

The side handles are mounted using nuts and bolts on 4 holes that are on the fender. This item basically mounts using two of those same holes. I didn't install myself, since I had to drop my bike off at the shop for inspection and some other odds and ends, but I don't think it would be very difficult if you're handy. The hardest part might be the rear turn signals, as you'll need to reroute the wires and probably buy different signals. We routed the wires under the seat, with just a little bit of wire sticking out to where we stuck the signals onto the rack.

I was willing to sacrifice my side handles, since they were basically obscured by my saddlebags anyway. There are two holes in the fender left unused which also might bother you. I just stuck a plug in one and the extra nut and bolt in the other on each side.

I haven't put anything too heavy on it yet but it seems sturdy enough for my needs (laptops, clothes, some groceries, etc).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.