Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack (Read 1634 times)
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Re: Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack
Reply #30 - 07/10/12 at 00:49:26

Digger wrote on 08/10/11 at 19:34:27:
An update on this luggage rack:

Last April, I was running errands and noticed that my trunk (mounted on the luggage rack) was starting to flop around.  I stopped in a parking lot and looked the situation over.

A weld on the luggage rack had given way:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/Digger109/LS650/LuggageRackFracture-...
SNIP

Bottom line:  I'm still pleased with my luggage rack! BTW, any thoughts on my amateur "repairs?"

You have a tremendous amount of stress on that very small cross section to support the trunk. This amount of stress is increased tremendously when the motorcycle continually bounces along the uneven road surfaces. You basically have cyclic fatigue going on.

A simple solution would be to extend metal brackets (see picture) as diagonal braces from the pillion handle or rear of the fender area to a location toward the rear of the package rack. This was common in earlier motorcycles and it work. It will offload the tremendous bending moment you have on the smallish weld area.  Wink

Here is a possibility for brace material:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Metal-Stock-Bar-Flats-Tubes-...

or http://tinyurl.com/6v7f9r2

YMMV.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #31 - 07/10/12 at 01:17:58

After reading through this thread, with me thinking about getting a luggage rack for mine,  I'm leaning towards making my own now. Just do away with the stock Sissy bar itself and do the whole sissy bar and luggage rack from scratch with diagonal supports on each side.  Plus doing it this way I could make the Sissy bar with back rest taller for more support for my kids when I give them rides,  Might even be able to come up with a way to put in a back rest for myself doing it this way for those longer rides as well.  This might be the only way to get rid of the breakage issues I'm reading about in this thread from the OEM and aftermarket ones.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 07/10/12 at 01:23:56

Highway Hawk, Netherlands used to make a Savage package rack. I am glad I picked this one up, unfortunately it has been discontinued for a while.

It has solid plate steel that bolts underneath the pillion handles and continues rearward, is tremendously strong.

Good luck on all those for overcoming the lack of a decent package rack.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #33 - 07/31/12 at 21:43:53

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/10/12 at 00:49:26:
Digger wrote on 08/10/11 at 19:34:27:
An update on this luggage rack:

Last April, I was running errands and noticed that my trunk (mounted on the luggage rack) was starting to flop around.  I stopped in a parking lot and looked the situation over.

A weld on the luggage rack had given way:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/Digger109/LS650/LuggageRackFracture-...
SNIP

Bottom line:  I'm still pleased with my luggage rack! BTW, any thoughts on my amateur "repairs?"

You have a tremendous amount of stress on that very small cross section to support the trunk. This amount of stress is increased tremendously when the motorcycle continually bounces along the uneven road surfaces. You basically have cyclic fatigue going on.

A simple solution would be to extend metal brackets (see picture) as diagonal braces from the pillion handle or rear of the fender area to a location toward the rear of the package rack. This was common in earlier motorcycles and it work. It will offload the tremendous bending moment you have on the smallish weld area.  Wink

http://highplainsthumper.pcriot.com/LuggageRackBrace.jpg

Here is a possibility for brace material:

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Metal-Stock-Bar-Flats-Tubes-...

or http://tinyurl.com/6v7f9r2

YMMV.

That's a decent suggestion, thanks.

The small 90 degree steel braces (see my post on the second page of this thread) have turned out to be quite strong, it seems to me.  However, if I encounter future problems, I'll consider these side braces.

They would, however, require a bit of disassembly, as I'd need to put nuts in the inward facing sides of those chrome-plated rear fender struts.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #34 - 07/31/12 at 22:32:38

Savage Rob - Which model is that sissy bar/luggage rack that you have? It looks like it's what I want. I like how it appears to be a little higher over the tail light, than the stock rack.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #35 - 08/01/12 at 16:37:29

greenmonster wrote on 07/31/12 at 22:32:38:
Savage Rob - Which model is that sissy bar/luggage rack that you have? It looks like it's what I want. I like how it appears to be a little higher over the tail light, than the stock rack.

It is a bit higher than the stock.  The image in the previous post by me was hotlinked to the seller's site.  It looks to me like Scootworks no longer sells this item but they have two other versions for the Savage/S40 available.  Both are shown on the page if you scroll down.  One has a studded pad and the other is plain.  I don't know if what I got is available anywhere now since Scootworks was the only place I ever saw it.  Both images are hotlinked to the same location.  I did see some pictured further down the page that resemble mine but did not see if any fit the LS650.  You might call them to find out.

This is what I got:

This is what they show now:

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #36 - 08/01/12 at 18:47:54

Darn, the one that scootworks has now is a little more than I want to spend. I guess the search continues.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 08/02/12 at 14:50:26

greenmonster wrote on 08/01/12 at 18:47:54:
Darn, the one that scootworks has now is a little more than I want to spend. I guess the search continues.

Seriously, scroll down the page a little further and they describe some with round bars that resemble what I originally bought from them.  It can't hurt to give them a call and ask whether any are available for the LS650 and, if so, at what cost.  They still look pricey when all parts are considered but it can't hurt to ask.  I hope you can find a similar one.

I had been searching for the Highway Hawk model mentioned earlier in this thread because I'd remembered seeing it several years before but was unable to locate any.  Take a peek at eBay every now and then.  You never know what somebody will get tire of and take off.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #38 - 08/06/12 at 19:34:20

What we really need is for someone here on the board who welds to take up where seviersavage left off, building luggage racks.  With a few small changes, his design would be totally solid right out of the box....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #39 - 08/07/12 at 11:14:49

My brother is a welder. He works on bikes and has been thinking about building some sort of custom part to sell. I'll pitch the idea to him. What modifications would you all make to seviersavage's design to make it perfect?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #40 - 08/07/12 at 11:52:10

I've spoken with one of the welders that I work with. I'll be drawing up a design and giving it to him to weld up for me. I want it out of stainless and I only have MIG here or I'd do it myself.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #41 - 08/08/12 at 20:28:30

CalisOsin wrote on 08/07/12 at 11:14:49:
My brother is a welder. He works on bikes and has been thinking about building some sort of custom part to sell. I'll pitch the idea to him. What modifications would you all make to seviersavage's design to make it perfect?

Maybe a little bit beefier bar stock, with a reinforcement (perhaps a section of angle stock) welded to the inner sides of the two corners where the welds broke on mine.

To me, strength is more important than looks, but I don't want it to get rusty over time, either.....

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 08/09/12 at 04:07:08

Here's how I hacked up the OEM rack after breaking another set of welds.
I drilled a couple holes through the rack and sissy bar and then re-used the rack bolts.  

http://joe-freeman-personal.blogspot.com/2011/05/suzuki-s40.html

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #43 - 08/09/12 at 07:02:35

Nice mods Joe!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #44 - 08/09/12 at 10:59:12

That seat looks interesting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:29:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.