Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack (Read 1634 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack
Reply #15 - 11/16/10 at 21:40:17

sparky380 wrote on 11/13/10 at 08:10:35:
Why not just make the holes in the flat bracket plate square with a Dremel tool and use stainless steel carriage had bolts instead?

Bill

Spark,

Good idea.

I did not think of it at the time.  But, even if I had, I would probably have passed on it, as I am way too lazy.   Smiley

Thanks!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 11/16/10 at 21:52:54

I think itd be easier to round off the corners on a carriage bolt than drill a square hole.  A slot if it must be backed up to get it tight would still take less time than trying to create a square hole.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 11/18/10 at 21:23:59

Digger wrote on 11/16/10 at 21:40:17:
sparky380 wrote on 11/13/10 at 08:10:35:
Why not just make the holes in the flat bracket plate square with a Dremel tool and use stainless steel carriage had bolts instead?

Bill

Spark,

Good idea.

I did not think of it at the time.  But, even if I had, I would probably have passed on it, as I am way too lazy.   Smiley

Thanks!

To expand on this, I believe Sparky was referring to this small mod I made to protect the aft face of the rear seat from damage:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made one other small mod I should mention.

I zip-tied a piece of old leather in front of the mounting plate to keep the mounting nuts from possibly wearing into the aft portion of the rear seat cover:

If I'd positioned the nuts facing aft, I wouldn't have had to worry about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say, in Sevier's defense, I believe he intended for the bolt-heads (vice the further-protruding nuts) to be facing toward the front of the bike.  Oriented in this fashion, I don't believe that fouling the aft-facing surface of the rear seat would be a problem.

I faced the bolt-heads aft and the nuts forward because the nuts were easier to tighten that way and I was too lazy to orient the bolts properly.

Clear as mud?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 08/10/11 at 19:34:27

An update on this luggage rack:

Last April, I was running errands and noticed that my trunk (mounted on the luggage rack) was starting to flop around.  I stopped in a parking lot and looked the situation over.

A weld on the luggage rack had given way:

Note:  The above picture was taken after I had removed the trunk.

Here is a closeup look at the weld that failed:

Also, I was dismayed to find that the weld's twin, on the other side of the rack, was showing signs of imminent failure:

Well, I was several miles from the barn and it was clearly unsafe to continue riding the bike in this condition.  So, I removed the trunk from the rack and bungeed said trunk to my rear seat.  Boy, was I ever glad that I had made a quick-disconnect for the trunk's wiring harness (see this thread):

That saved me from having to rip the wires in order to get the trunk off of the luggage rack.....and creating a lot more work down the road as a result.

I emailed seviersavage to ask his advice.  I wasn't looking for a refund or a freebie, just advice.  He responded and said he'd never seen such a problem develop with any of his racks.  I gave him a few suggestions for ways he might possibly beef up any luggage racks he makes in the future.  He was very pleasant.

In any event, I still had a broken luggage rack.....and my Savage is my daily driver (I don't own a cage).  I had to get creative.

Well, I found two stout little angle brackets in my spares bin.  I drilled a few holes in the luggage rack and installed the brackets.  I think this will last a while:

Bottom line:  I'm still pleased with my luggage rack!

BTW, any thoughts on my amateur "repairs?"

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 08/10/11 at 19:56:20

I agree that the repair should last a while, but I'dve used it as an excuse to buy a little stick welder and a few pieces of scrap to practice on.  On that particular rack, you can get at the weld from both sides, making the job very easy.  If it breaks again in that spot, you could fix it up without having to become an expert welder.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Grand Strand

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/10/11 at 19:59:53

Boule’tard wrote on 08/10/11 at 19:56:20:
I agree that the repair should last a while, but I'dve used it as an excuse to buy a little stick welder and a few pieces of scrap to practice on.  On that particular rack, you can get at the weld from both sides, making the job very easy.  If it breaks again in that spot, you could fix it up without having to become an expert welder.

+1 Its a great first project! I love more tools  Smiley

IP Logged
dekuji63
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/18/11 at 22:16:21

Really enjoying going through this thread - sorry about the rack break, though.  It really looks sturdy but the stress on those attachment joints must be pretty high.

I'd like a similar one only wider rather than longer.  I bought a tail bag (Nelson Rigg) and I hate the attachment for it.  Plus it's ginormous and sags down over my tail light so now it's my pillion rider.  Grin  I was just thinking about finding a beater trunk, hacking off all but the bottom and using it as a plate to hold my saggy bag up.  Sevier's rack looks much nicer!

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #22 - 08/19/11 at 00:14:37

Digger... I think your "patch" looks strong enough and on the right track for a better attachment solution.  Since you didn't mention what suggestions you had already made to the builder, here are a couple of thoughts that came to mind after looking at your latest pics...

My first thought would be to make the back "strap" bracket  longer and "l_____l" shaped with the legs 2-3" long or just long enough for a couple bolts on each side.  The legs could be bent (or welded) and profile cut to match the side rails of the rack bed.  This should essentially double the strength of that joint on both sides.

Second thought would be to just weld a peice of angle to the inside for addtional joint reinforcing or welding a couple of gusset plates on top at each back corner (also on the bottom if you can work around the side rail profile).

Just my 2 cents....  Smiley  Please keep us updated on your progress, I am interested in doing something like this too!

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #23 - 08/21/11 at 18:33:09

Sunchasers wrote on 08/19/11 at 00:14:37:
.....My first thought would be to make the back "strap" bracket  longer and "l_____l" shaped with the legs 2-3" long or just long enough for a couple bolts on each side.  The legs could be bent (or welded) and profile cut to match the side rails of the rack bed.  This should essentially double the strength of that joint on both sides.....

Sun,

Thanks for your insight.

Although my jury-rigged fix doesn't worry me and seems quite strong, I think a better solution (for someone who doesn't know how to weld Embarrassed) would have been longer angle brackets that bolt to the "strap" bracket you speak of.  The rear parts of said angle brackets would have still been bolted to the body of the rack, as I have done with the short angle brackets I used in the above pics.

I may have gone the way I did because, like I said, I already had the short brackets in my spares bin.....and I was probably too lazy to ride the three miles to Lowe's.   Smiley

Perhaps seviersavage will see this thread and get some ideas!

No worries!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Michael A.N. Winkler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/20/12 at 11:30:54

Good Afternoon All:

Does anyone know whether the "SevierSavage's" luggage rack is still available for a LS650P Savage built in 2003?  

And if not, would anyone know of a good substitute?

Thank you for your help (I am new to this site and to the "savage").

Michael
manwinkler@yahoo.com

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 02/20/12 at 16:30:55

verslagen1 wrote on 07/03/10 at 18:51:50:
Was the stock sandwich rack polished stainless steel or chrome plated steel?
The weld that broke lacked full fusion in the center, bad weld.
And you're not supposed to weld chrome.

I've had TWO Suzuki racks and BOTH broke at the welds.  Now I have this one from Scootworks.com.  The rack is part of the sissy bar and is not detachable.  I've only had it a few months, so I can't say for sure it's any better than stock but it appears to be better construction.  I'll remove my bags from it and take a couple of pics a bit closer up.  Below is the image (hotlinked) at Scootworks.

« Last Edit: 02/21/12 at 13:02:39 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #26 - 02/21/12 at 15:53:18

Okay, a few pics...

Here you can see the general design and the welds.

That disc-looking thing is a rare-earth magnet I once used with my oil filter but now use to temporarily hold tools and such.

Wow!  This came out a little oversaturated but the intent was for you to see the pad.

« Last Edit: 07/09/12 at 14:34:52 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/31/12 at 19:11:22

Thanks for the pictures.  It looks nice. The rack looks a little higher than the stock?  Is that true?  It might make the brake light more visible.  

Still no good way to mount a top case Sad

IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/09/12 at 03:52:33

Savage_Rob wrote on 02/20/12 at 16:30:55:
I've had TWO Suzuki racks and BOTH broke at the welds.  

I broke the welds this week on another of the OEM racks.  I keep staring at them thinking the way to solve the problem is to drill two holes from the side of the rack through the sissy bar.  Then I could bolt the rack to the bike from the side rather than relying on the cheap metal bending approach taken by the OEM rack.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 07/09/12 at 14:36:48

So far as the height difference, I'll have to dig out a stock one and compare.  I think you're right that it's a bit higher but I'm just not positive.  The overall sissy bar is a bit taller for sure, though not as tall as I'd like it to be.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:33:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Product Review - Seviersavage's Luggage Rack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.