Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Highway bar and pegs. Lots of Pics. (Read 455 times)
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Highway bar and pegs. Lots of Pics.
07/02/10 at 11:54:17

Here's something I did that I thought would be a little different. Thought I'd post them. Who knows maybe it'll give some of you some new ideas.

Started with a couple 1 1/8" bar clamps on the down tubes and went out from there to some #80 chain I had laying around (welded the links solid). Then I capped them off with some 20mm fake rounds I got. 32 1/2" from tip to tip. Really comfy going down the road. I put a slight angle up on the shells to keep my feet from sliding off.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Highway bar and pegs. Lots of Pics.
Reply #1 - 07/02/10 at 12:28:20

That is cool as sh!t.  Not sure about the "sharpness" of the tips, but I absolutely love the chain.  Looks like you did a great job on the support bar too.  Thanks for sharing!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #2 - 07/03/10 at 03:27:16

Hey thanks Babyhog. The chain was actually my neighbors idea. He saw it laying there and said I got to use it. I'm glad I did. It does look bad a$$ on there.  Smiley

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/03/10 at 08:22:20

Where can one get the chrome clamps?

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #4 - 07/04/10 at 10:04:13

ralfyguy wrote on 07/03/10 at 08:22:20:
Where can one get the chrome clamps?

I got mine at my local motorcycle shop. Their made by EMGO. the part # is 54-78011 the package says "chrome 3 piece clamp 1-1/18 inch"

They fit perfect.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #5 - 07/04/10 at 19:42:48

Killer work man

Looks like some kinda 007 gadget... Maybe take out a few cages if they p!ss you off on the road!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 07/04/10 at 20:55:53

The quote,....what a cold cold heart ! Wink

The bars,....maybe they'll grow on me ? Undecided Smiley
earlytimz wrote on 07/04/10 at 19:42:48:
Killer work man

Looks like some kinda 007 gadget... Maybe take out a few cages if they p!ss you off on the road!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/05/10 at 03:41:24

very nicely done dude !

love the look...bullets are always good for show   Grin

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #8 - 07/05/10 at 21:57:06

Yea. Thanks guys and gals. Now I just need to find some smaller ones for the passenger pegs.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/06/10 at 04:54:13

DO YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF YOUR ENTIRE EXHAUST ?

IS IT A RAASK UNIT ?

IF NOT, WHAT ?  WHAT TYPE OF BAFFLE ?

IT'S A NICE FAT PIPE   Wink

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #10 - 07/06/10 at 07:27:59

I also would like to see a full picture of that bike so i can take a look at your air filter setup

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #11 - 07/06/10 at 09:41:03

LANCER wrote on 07/06/10 at 04:54:13:
DO YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF YOUR ENTIRE EXHAUST ?

IS IT A RAASK UNIT ?

IF NOT, WHAT ?  WHAT TYPE OF BAFFLE ?

IT'S A NICE FAT PIPE   Wink

It's mostly all homemade Lancer.
Here's what I bought to start with. http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Magnaflow-274322.htm

The piece I bought above has almost exactly the same center radius bend as the stock header.

I went to Orielly's auto parts and picked up a 2.5" to 2" reducer.

I started with the reducer and welded a ring to it for the manifold clamp to fit against. Had a chunk of thick pipe that I sliced a ring off for that. Fits very well. All in all I just pieced it together using the piece I bought above and went to the exhaust shop and got some more 2.5 inch exhaust pipe.

In that very first weld right where the reducer meets the 2.5 inch I made a restrictor plate. Took a flat washer with a 2.5 inch diameter and drilled a 1-3/4" hole in it. Not sure why I did that but I guess I was thinking that since I ported out the exhaust to about 1-3/4" That I should have something as far as back pressure goes.

Here's where things get interesting. From everything I know about motorcycles and engines it tells me I need some sort of baffle to get enough back pressure to make it run strong. I originally really liked the sound without any more restriction.  But before even riding it I had convinced myself that I was gonna need something. So I spent the better part of a day making different baffles and sometimes just different sized flat washers to slide in an out on a rod to adjust for sound. Didn't like the sound of anything I tried. Well after all that I just decided to take it out for a drive without anything but the restrictor plate that I had originally welded in. Wholly crap!!!! Couldn't believe how strong it was running. Even the low end torque was great. I put it in first gear idling up the street just letting it pull itself at an idle and rolled on the throttle as fast as I possibly could and it would almost spin. I couldn't roll the throttle fast enough to make it cough or anything. Then I took it out on the road and it would pull so good that I decided not to go with anymore to restrict airflow for back pressure. It still had a little puff puff puff sound to it at an idle that I didn't like but thought I was just gonna have to live with it. Well after looking at the pipe for a while I thought I'd cut a slash cut at the end and it would make it look a little better. Well I did that and It took the puff puff puff out of it.

With the air filter set up and the mostly free flow exhaust I now have a 55 pilot with the bleed holes and 170 main. The spark plug looks perfect. I'm at somewhere between 1.5 and 2 turns out on the air mixture skrew. Still stock on the white spacer. No backfires at all ever. I did cut a little length off of that spring on the side with the small cover before I ever put the thing together. I had it bored to .5 over also. I'm at 17/50 with the sprockets which gives me pretty close to stock gear ratio. It'll pull really strong to 85 really really quick. After 85 it still pulls up to about 105 but it takes a couple miles to get there. Gonna gear it down and see if it'll pull a little better on the top end of things.

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #12 - 07/06/10 at 09:59:09

RTC wrote on 07/06/10 at 07:27:59:
I also would like to see a full picture of that bike so i can take a look at your air filter setup

Here's the photobucket link to all the pics I've taken http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll291/thetoolswingguy/

Here's a few threads I started about this bike.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1277142076
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1276016268
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1276198365

Here's the link to where and what filters I used. http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-9700

Here's a couple pics I took with one air filter off so you could see the way I built the intake setup.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #13 - 07/07/10 at 08:06:37

Looks great.
May be an illusion to my eyes, but they seem to stick out pretty far.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #14 - 07/07/10 at 08:36:25

cursal wrote on 07/07/10 at 08:06:37:
Looks great.
May be an illusion to my eyes, but they seem to stick out pretty far.

Yea. They do stick out pretty far. Wanted them to stick out a little to give a beefier look. They don't hit my legs though if that's what you were thinking. When you sit on the bike with both feet on the ground they barely touch my under thigh. You can see one of them is a little crushed looking in one of the top photos in this thread ( not from my legs) I was in a rain storm and it got soaked and was hauling a$$ to get home quick and the wind pushed it back. Gonna send it back to K&N to have them replace it. They said they would and that they shouldn't do that. I'm gonna make a little crome shield to mount on the front side to keep the wind from hitting them directly. About a 1/2" away from the front that'll match the curve of the filters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway bar and pegs. Lots of Pics.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.