Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newcomer to the Sport (Read 112 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Newcomer to the Sport
06/30/10 at 23:22:17

Evening folks. I'm brand new to the sport, and as I'm sure many of you are delighted to know I'm starting off on a Savage. Picked up a 2001 model used off of Craigslist. She's a real beauty, had 5,000 miles on her and was kept in show room condition.

I'm 20 and a college student at the University of Missouri. I got introduced to the sport by my brother has been into the sport since he was old enough to keep a bike upright using his tippy toes as well as some of my friends who discovered this sport a couple years back.

I searched for the right back at the right price until I was blue in the face. I just hauled the new girl home a couple days ago but it's been a  blast ever since. Granted I've been restricted to parking lots getting used to getting a good solid feel of the clutch, taking off, breaking, turning, and other safety procedures. I'm of course going to take the Motorcycle Safety Course before the day comes that I hit the actual road. But just learning in the parking lot has been a real blast.

The most fun has come from reflecting at home about what I've learned. I've nearly dropped the bike once practicing slow turns, I hesitated when starting a sharp turn from simply not feeling comfortable with the bike yet. Managed to salvage it with barely a scratch to the right peg. Gotta get that first one out of the way at some point right?  Wink Just an excuse to do another 5-10 minutes of figure eights to make sure you don't end on a bad note!

Just wanted to introduce myself and get some of the excitement off the chest. I'm looking to make sure I take every step with safety having the up most priority. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous being brand new to the sport. But I'm sure that will melt away with experience. Just trying to keep the rubber side down!

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Re: Newcomer to the Sport
Reply #1 - 06/30/10 at 23:54:44

welcome to the cult man...and its not a sport its a way of life  Cool

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/01/10 at 02:39:52

YEP, it is a WAY OF LIFE.

Welcome to the family young dude !   Wink

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/01/10 at 04:17:07

Welcome to the brotherhood.  Cool

You definately picked a good bike to start on. It's good to see someone who's actually being smart about their choices in regards to getting into riding. Far too often I see people getting in WAY over their head w/ too much bike or a "I already know everything" attitude. It normally doesn't end well for those folks. Just keep doing what your doing.

Oh, just remember: A protective jacket, gloves and a helmet may be uncomfortable at times, but a head injury or a skin graft is FAR worse. Gear up and enjoy the ride.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 07/01/10 at 05:58:52

Welcome welcome!  As a mother of an almost-19-year-old, I'm happy to read that it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.  Makes a mommy feel good.   Smiley
Take it slow and easy, and safe.... and enjoy!  

There is a ton of experience in the old geezers on this board.  You've joined a great group of people to learn from.      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 07/01/10 at 06:16:12

Welcome Wake...I was born in Columbia, MO...there are some great twisties around there. Just take yer time, enjoy and don't let anyone tell ya it's too small of a bike. If you treat her right she'll treat you right.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #6 - 07/01/10 at 10:09:30

FYI occasionally scratching the pegs of a cruiser is normal IMO.

One thing became clear to me in class, that it is much easier to go faster than to go slower - the centripital force of the faster wheels makes the bike stable and easier to control.   Watch out for sand, gravel, manhole covers and road stripes.  oops- and dead leaves

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #7 - 07/01/10 at 11:26:48

Thanks for the warm welcome!

As for those who like to shoot flak at the Savage not being a real bike, the single cylinder/belt drive says to me, "I'm classy without having to be overly sophisticated.  Cool"

Are there any general recommendations on safety equipment? I know that helmet/jacket/gloves/boots are of course a must and that you want to get something with color to it so that pops out to the eye. Perhaps a lot of it is personal preference but I don't want to skimp on safety gear. Yet at the same time I don't want to buy gear intended for taking a race bike out to the track if it's impractical for the type of riding to be done on a savage.

I'll be leaving for the holiday weekend but when I get back I'll see if I can post some pics of the little lady on two wheels.

Everyone enjoy the 4th and take care when riding or any activity you do over the weekend!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/01/10 at 11:38:33

one tip,.. buy tight...  
...if you do go down,... a loose jacket can move around, and bunch up,... putting padding in all the wrong places...
I got a football size bruise on my left kidney once, from my jacket bunching up on a lowsider...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:20:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newcomer to the Sport

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.