Send Topic Print
Bigger gas tank? (Read 188 times)
gurdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigger gas tank?
06/29/10 at 19:09:27

Is there any place to look for a bigger gas tank that can easily be swapped with the little stock tank?  I have a 2001 savage and would like to not have to stop at the gas station every other day to put in $4 in gas.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bigger gas tank?
Reply #1 - 06/29/10 at 21:05:17

Many have used many different types of tanks as replacements. They all required frame modification and most were not very well documented. You're not going to find a straight swap out. At least no one has yet.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 06/30/10 at 05:12:22

I think I heard a Vulcan 750 tank is about the easiest, but still requires modification.  

If you find something that works, please let us know!   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 06/30/10 at 08:58:03

No matter what kind of tank you get it's gonna be a custom job,
so what I would do is to get another savage tank and do
what this guy did, look!!

* I saw a cheap savage tank here last week:
http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc_Suzuki-GZ250-Savage_W0QQ_fsubZ...

Good luck.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #4 - 06/30/10 at 09:07:43

That tank aint to pretty, but I'm sure it gets the job done.  I think it is actually more work than fabbing up a few brackets to mount a different tank to your bike.  It's  a neat idea to keep the stock speedo and key gas cap with a bigger tank. You could probably do something similar and chop out the middle section of the stock tank while building a custom tank around it.  The biggest thing that is chopping out all your room for gas is the spedo in the middle.. if you want to eliminate the speedo from the tank patching across the speedo hole would allow probably a few more quarts of gas with a very close to stock look.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/01/10 at 07:16:07

I was thinking of doing something similar to the picutres but I would spread the rear out more (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches each side) and less on the front (maybe the same amount as back).  Would also make the side walls near vertical since they angle in now and that's reduces capcity.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:22:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger gas tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.