prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Brake Pads
06/29/10 at 12:49:10

OK, I searched and thought and did not find exaclty what I was looking for.  I remember reading the EBC pads were superior to the stock pads and I remember some discussion about red pads.  That was as far as I got.

http://www.bikebandit.com/1987-suzuki-ls650-ebc-brake-pads-shoes/c/a642280a63...

Bike Bandit lists two:
EBC Non Asbestos Organic Brake Pads
EBC Carbon X Brake Pads

Both are $30.40

Which do I really want?

Thanks alot guys!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Brake Pads
Reply #1 - 06/29/10 at 12:57:22

I got a cheapo set off ebay for $15. No brand name advertised. Kevlar. Worn better than EBCs so far. I accelerate and brake hard and usually have a set of EBCs severely worn at 5k mi or so. 2k mi this year and no appreciable wear so far.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/29/10 at 13:04:24

Be  aware that some pads last a real long time, but eat the rotors up. IDK which ones will, but Id`rather replace pads pretty regular than the disk. That thing is pricey.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/29/10 at 13:20:06

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=192649&store=...

Vesrah made in Japan.  Standard Organic/Carbon Fiber Brake Pads.

As with Justin, I prefer softer pads longer life to eating up disks.  I ride city, stop/starts, eats pads A LOT.  Commute is about 3 stops per mile if the lights are against me.   I have no problem with my brakes.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/29/10 at 16:52:00

BurnPgh wrote on 06/29/10 at 12:57:22:
I got a cheapo set off ebay for $15. No brand name advertised. Kevlar. Worn better than EBCs so far. I accelerate and brake hard and usually have a set of EBCs severely worn at 5k mi or so. 2k mi this year and no appreciable wear so far.

+1
Last time I replaced with these and bought 2 more for the next time.
EBC's are ok, a little soft and require more grip to stop.
stock's squeal
el cheapo kevlar feel like stock w/o squeal.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 06/30/10 at 02:57:36

Thanks guys. I ordered a set from ebay last night.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 06/30/10 at 07:21:31

If anything like automotive, softer lining has 2 drawbacks,....fade quicker and shorter life. But I love'm because they stop better, and don't eat rotors, and.........never squeal ??
But it is harder to find soft lining anymore,...for saftey reasons I'd guess.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 06/30/10 at 08:09:12

my 2 cents...replaced both front and rear with these...

http://atvbrakesnmore.ecrater.com/p/4087053/suzuki-brakes-05-08-ls-650-boulev...

Seem like decent quality for 40 bucks including shipping. Only time will tell.
PO had put on EBC fronts (they were completely gone...like scary gone) and squealed. The back pads squealed too...but I think they must have been hardened and there was a lot of brake dust in the drum which I blew out.
Absolutly no squeal now...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 06/30/10 at 12:09:53

Bubba wrote on 06/30/10 at 08:09:12:
my 2 cents...replaced both front and rear with these...

http://atvbrakesnmore.ecrater.com/p/4087053/suzuki-brakes-05-08-ls-650-boulev...

Seem like decent quality for 40 bucks including shipping. Only time will tell.
PO had put on EBC fronts (they were completely gone...like scary gone) and squealed. The back pads squealed too...but I think they must have been hardened and there was a lot of brake dust in the drum which I blew out.
Absolutly no squeal now...

Bubba
Tha's where I ordered mine from, just got the front ones though.  The backs don't squeal, the indicator says I have plenty left and I don't use the back brake too awful much.

I guess we will see!

prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 10/01/10 at 10:46:56

Searching for something else and found this.  I am happy with my brakes mentioned in this thread.  If anyone is interested.

prechermike   IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/29/10 at 21:51:37

I recently had my front brake pads replaced just a little past 5k miles.  The front brakes squeeked from the first 100 miles on, so I didn't catch the "wearing out" noise till they went to bare metal.

Fortunately that sound caught my attention and the front rotor lived. I was suprised the pads wore  out in 5k miles but then I didn't really have a good idea how long they should last.

Guess I need to read the forum more often.  Now I know.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 10/30/10 at 19:50:07

Assuming most on here can adapt to changes in equipment, I'd say run whatever floats your duck. As I mentioned before, the organic pads have a softer, more linear feel. The sintered pads usually give a quicker grab and probably last longer. I use the Vesrah organic and have only a slight squeaking at times. About $30.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.