Advice needed! (Read 164 times)
stonedeaf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Advice needed!
06/27/10 at 03:50:18

Hi Guys,

Had my Savage for over a month now & I have certainly spent some time getting my hands dirty!!

Just a couple of things that are bothering me and I'm struggling to find on this great site.

1st Having an early model ('87) I'm getting the backward motion on switching off the engine...starter clanging. I know people have mentioned letting out the clutch to stall the bike helps, but tried that and it still happens. Is there any fix for this ? I really don't like what I'm hearing Shocked (sounds like an expensive repair sooner or later).
It isn't everytime, but I'd say 3 out of 4 which is not good.

2nd issue is the Petcock/carb. I have had several problems getting the bike to run on the Vacumn(on) position. I have replaced all the hoses and bought new fixings to clamp everything tight. I still find the bike seems to idle much lower on the on setting as opposed to the prime position. However if I run it on prime the bike is fine but after a long run if I forget to turn it back from prime the bike relieves itself all over the floor!!
I assumed a stuck needle valve so stripped carb and cleaned but this still happens.

I have on order from the States, a Raptor petcock and a carb rebuild kit, but any advise would be appreciated. I'd love to get this little bike running reliably enough to venture out with some of my biking friends again.

Lastly, and sorry for the wordy thread. I would like to try to adjust the valves on the engine. The "how to" in the list of topics will not open for me. Is there a guide anywhere that may help?

If not is it like an old style setup ie a locknut and then a screw adjuster on the top? Also is it possible to just remove the inspection covers to adjust the valves or do I need to remove the whole top cover of the engine?

If you've stayed with me all this way... you're worthy of a medal...sorry for so many questions.
Stoney. Wink    

If I don't reply for some time it will be me watching England whippin' the Germans this pm Grin Either that or needing therapy for another humiliation on penalty shotouts.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Advice needed!
Reply #1 - 06/27/10 at 06:44:38

Valve Adjustment - Try this link, works for me.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1255580802

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/27/10 at 06:57:57

Can't help with the starter...

The Raptor will likely fix the idle and fuel leak problem...

Regular screw slot and locknut adjusters... easy as pie.... and top cover stays on...
To find TDC,... turn engine CCW 'till you see the intake valves finish their cycle... 0.004" or 0.1mm...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/27/10 at 07:32:06

It sounds like the diaphram is bad in the petcock. It can be rebuilt

If the Raptor doesn't fix the fuel overflow, the carb may need a new needle/seat assy, and maybe a float to stop the fuel overflow. Be sure to watch the oil level for added gasoline in it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/27/10 at 08:28:11

you guys only left me one thing...  Smiley

There is a circuit you can build to activate the decomp solenoid on shutoff.  if you need the info, pm me.

Or you could activate it manually by adding a lever.

WWW   IP Logged
stonedeaf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/27/10 at 10:11:35

Wow thanks guys. That's loads to be getting on with.

After Englands shameful performance I have all the time in the world! Sad :'(

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 06/28/10 at 13:05:45

The European Savage site has the decomp circuit listed somewhere on it.    

Basicllay it keeps the bike running for a tiny amount of time after you turn off the bike, and at the same time engages the decompression solenoid.

Other choice would be to find a Dual Sport bike and take the manual decomp linkage and rig something up to both decomp the engine and be a kill switch

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:33:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice needed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.