Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brand new petcock issue (Read 125 times)
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
brand new petcock issue
06/25/10 at 23:18:36

so i recently just purchased a 95 savage through a private sale.  initially it was having sputtering and dying issues, bike hadnt been ridden in a year.  so the previous owner yanked the carb and cleaned it, flushed out the tank and had fresh gas in it, and also replace the petcock with a brand new OEM petcock.  when i rode it home it started to sputter again so i switched it to prime.  ran like a dream after that!  

ive been digging around the forum for the petcock fix, but what would be the issue if you already replaced it.  i wanted to go to the raptor but i figure this guy just replaced it with an OEM one, i might as well get his money's worth out of it.  the only thing i can think of is the vacumm line is bad.  can anyone think of anything else that would be the issue

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: brand new petcock issue
Reply #1 - 06/25/10 at 23:49:15

If it is a brand new one then it's the vac line.
if it looks like it's in good shape, put clamps on the ends.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/26/10 at 05:03:41

If the vacuum operated petcock valve is good, and the vacuum supply line is good, then I could suspect a low vacuum supply,....which could mean leaking exhaust and/or intake valves,......symtoms of which would be lack of compression and power.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #3 - 06/26/10 at 07:00:41

if it was an exhaust or intake valve issue wouldnt that effect the performance even when running on prime?  she runs beautifully on prime and its a brand new petcock.  gonna check the vacuum line which im almost positive thats the issue.  just wanted to get peoples opinions if i forgot anything

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 06/26/10 at 07:45:51

I just went through petcock issues. I rebuilt the dam thing and did some carb work, all to no avail. I pulled and plugged the vacuum line and run it on prime. Runs great once warmed up. I do still have idle issues but I can deal with that. I have to turn the throttle stop screw about 1 1/2 turns in when cold. Once it warms all the way up, I put screw back where it was and ride for hours with no problems. I never used to have to do that so there's still a problem somewhere but it's not the petcock. Like I found out, once rebuilt doesn't mean it's working right.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/26/10 at 08:02:04

I am forever tweaking the idle . B4 its warmed up, it needs a higher setting, to get it off the choke after 3 or 4 minutes & it not be just too low RPM for the oil pressure. Once it warms up, I lower the idle back down so its not racing. Takes about 15 or 20 minutes of riding b4 its totally smoothed out. I dont mind it one bit, its just me & my engine, its not a carb problem, its just the way that engine works, IMO.

The petcock on the W is a vac iperated unit,. I opened it up, just to have a,ook. Kinda reminded me of the stuff in a weedeater/chainsaw carb, w/ little flaps cut & just waiting for a tiny piece of anything to get in there & mess things up. If I was working on one, Id sure want no lint or anything around, they look pretty persnickety.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/26/10 at 13:48:10

I would like for you guys to try something: Let the bike idle and then pinch the vacuum line with your fingers and thumb and tell me if your idle goes UP a little holding it there, and when you let go of the hose if the idle goes back DOWN to what it was before.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/26/10 at 13:50:34

Another question: To those who rebuilt their petcock, which kit is the one that fits correctly and where to get it and how much?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/26/10 at 14:30:16

Hashbrown wrote on 06/26/10 at 07:00:41:
if it was an exhaust or intake valve issue wouldnt that effect the performance even when running on prime?  she runs beautifully on prime and its a brand new petcock.  gonna check the vacuum line which im almost positive thats the issue.  just wanted to get peoples opinions if i forgot anything

If any valves were leaking slightly, it would lower compression slightly, causing a drop in HP, and a drop in vacuum, but could still run quite good,....or what you mite think is good. But that would be a last resort only if no other problem was found..

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/28/10 at 19:34:01

ralfyguy: I got the K+L fuel petcock repair kit at the local dealer.
Part # says FCK-5   GS1150    $23.00. It didn't fix my problem so I'm running it now on prime, with the vacuum line plugged and the vacuum port capped. If I had it to do again I would just get the Raptor and be done with it. Also about $23.00.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:34:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brand new petcock issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.