Send Topic Print
doubling up (Read 258 times)
ashintmc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

doubling up
06/24/10 at 14:30:16

now that i have the basics down. just gotta find a savage I like my wife brought up  whether we could double up on the savage and if you need to mod the seat to make it feasible. so the question basically is can you double up at city/backroad highway speeds without too much loss in power. and if it can what kind of seat mods should i do

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: doubling up
Reply #1 - 06/24/10 at 16:21:12

The Savage/S40 has adequate power for carrying double, unless you plan to do long uphill mountain grades at highway speed (think I-70 westbound from Denver). But the passenger seat is not a pleasant place to be, according to my wife. About ten miles was all she wanted. I have tried sitting on it, and I have to agree. If you want to do any serious two-up riding, go look for a bike designed to do that job and don't even fool with the Savage/S40. Go to a dealership - or several dealerships - with your wife in tow. Both of you climb onto whatever bike seems to fit, and sit there for as long as the sales staff will let you. I suggest starting with a Gold Wing, to get an idea of what is possible. Most anything else will be a "downgrade." It is important that both of you sit on the bike at the same time, because the passenger seating position will be different with and without the width of the driver forcing the passenger's legs to spread apart (yeah, I know that sounds kinky).

Edited to add: For two-up riding, don't even look at sportbikes. Most cruisers have poor passenger seats. If the passenger seat isn't as wide as the driver's seat, she won't like it. If the passenger seat slopes rearward, she will feel very insecure on any sort of acceleration. Look to see where the passenger footpegs are located. Most modern bikes do not have centerstands, so you will have to convince the sales staff to hold the bike upright while the two of you sit on it - with your feet on the pegs. Or bring a big, strong, willing friend. I know these comments seem rather negative, but there is a lot of truth in the saying "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

« Last Edit: 06/24/10 at 20:50:00 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/24/10 at 17:15:12

You might consider something like this...
...or make something similar yourself...

http://www.buttybuddy.com/index.asp

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/24/10 at 21:16:13

How much experience do you have hauling anyone? How much experience does she have as a passenger? A passenger who doesnt understand what looking around a car to see whats coming can do to you is a dangerous thing. My daughter put me in oncoming, thankfully, the road was empty.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 06/25/10 at 06:10:25

Even with the best of seats the Savage is just too small for two people unless you are both also pretty small.  As mentioned it has the power but after a short time you'll get tired of banging helmets.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 06/25/10 at 07:08:32

+1 on the knocking helmets. Both my wife and I are small ( Im' 5'9" 145, she's 5'2" 120). We ride around town 2-up but that's about it. Plus, whenever she moves around...I feel it. The savage just barely works for us.
That being said, she loves to go for little rides on it. I've tried to talk her into getting a small bike of her own but she doesn't want to have to think that much... Grin
Also, think about the responsibilty of someone else due to your actions...I ride my kids around in the neighborhood (with a helmet on them) but not the major roads...too scary!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #6 - 06/25/10 at 07:52:19

screw that!  im a big guy and due to a lack of options i end up with some heffers  Grin  savage can handle any beast i throw on the back!  just have to downshift alot  Cheesy  its easy, if your losing power, try twisting the throttle more, that tends to solve the problem.  you might want to get a gel seat if you wife is pleasantly plump but dont worry about the power, that little single can haul a$$ when she needs to.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 06/25/10 at 07:55:14

I'm not sayin' it doesn't have the power, just that it's not the most  comfortable. Remember, the question was thrown out there by a new rider...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #8 - 06/25/10 at 08:03:58

Thanks Hashbrown; I'll be laughing about that one for a couple of days!

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #9 - 06/25/10 at 08:21:38

haha no worries.  seeing me on the savage with my various women is like watching two hippos fighting over a twinkie on a Big Wheel.  i generally have clown music in my head when i ride...yeah i got issues

aatif96   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 06/25/10 at 09:47:15

I've had my savage up to 70-75 sustained riding two up, wasn't too bad. Me (at 5'10" and 200lbs) and my girl (maybe 5'6" at 110) fit just fine, maybe a little close, but neither of us mind!

knocking helmets sucks, but she usually ends up leaning to the side and looking over my shoulder a lot. she is light enough it doesn't affect turning all that much.

heh, i once tried to buck her off by hitting a pothole real hard and cranking the throttle... she stayed on but was none too pleased! got a good little talking to after that one...

she hasn't complained about seat comfort yet, and if she does maybe i'll put in one of these (http://www.viberider.com/vibe_rider.asp). doubt she'd be complaining then!

in short: you can do 70-75 no problem two up, and the seat isn't the best but it works.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #11 - 06/25/10 at 09:50:41

ah, forgot to mention, if you do double up, take a practice ride around the block first. even small girls make the brakes on the savage feel horribly inadequate. long time to stop, wider turns (grind pegs real easy with the extra weight), and harder to stabilize, especially if she likes to fidget. so be sure to get used to all those changes before you go flying down some back country road at 85, laying her down with two feels a hell of a lot worse than laying her down with one  Undecided

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #12 - 06/25/10 at 09:52:05

Top end with me and lady is 80 (bike in sig).
We do freeway rides, back roads...not much uphill.
We are no more than 350 LBs all geared up on the bike with saddle bags loaded up.

She gets her memory foam pillow and straps in over the back seat and pad using a bungy cord. She can ride for hours sitting on that.

+2 for the helmet knocking.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #13 - 06/25/10 at 10:56:12

Helmet Knocking?  oh thats right you guys live in oppressive states that have helmet laws  Grin  in NH its your god given right to be an idiot.

aatif96   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 06/25/10 at 11:02:48

Grin...no helmet laws here in good 'ol Colorado...the fact that I wear one just means I ain't got no common sense... Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › doubling up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.