Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Routy - 5th gear indicator (Read 223 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Routy - 5th gear indicator
06/24/10 at 13:17:07

Hey Routy, weren't you trying to rig up some kind of light to indicate 5th gear?  Did you ever figure anything out?

Was looking at b-p-stewart's bobber pictures and noticed the Left Turn/High Beam/Right Turn lights above the speedometer.  Mine's an '06, so I guess at some point, they changed to just arrows and the "high beam" symbol, instead of words.  Never really noticed the "old" indicators before.  Then I got to thinking, I look at the switch on the handlebar to see if my high beam is on.  Why do we need a light on the tank to show high beam?  Maybe you can use it for 5th gear?????  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Routy - 5th gear indicator
Reply #1 - 06/24/10 at 15:09:57

my indicator is the dent in the top of my boot.
after awhile i figger it out........

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/24/10 at 15:20:23

I use the dent in buttgoat's boot too... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #3 - 06/24/10 at 15:37:03

As long as we are talking about 5th gear, let me ask this.  The shift from 4th to 5th on my Savage is much less clean and distinct than the one from 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4.  Is this common?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/24/10 at 16:43:27

Tanker2Biker wrote on 06/24/10 at 15:37:03:
As long as we are talking about 5th gear, let me ask this.  The shift from 4th to 5th on my Savage is much less clean and distinct than the one from 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4.  Is this common?

yes

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/24/10 at 19:00:30

You don't need a 5th gear indicator on the S40 when it sounds like your in 3rd your in 5th.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 06/24/10 at 20:37:21

Bill, you seem pretty unhappy with your S40. Why don't you either trade it off or modify it to make it fit your expectations? Perhaps more to the point, why did you buy it in the first place? Didn't you do your homework and find out what you were buying?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/24/10 at 20:57:46

babyhog wrote on 06/24/10 at 13:17:07:
Hey Routy, weren't you trying to rig up some kind of light to indicate 5th gear?  Did you ever figure anything out?

Was looking at b-p-stewart's bobber pictures and noticed the Left Turn/High Beam/Right Turn lights above the speedometer.  Mine's an '06, so I guess at some point, they changed to just arrows and the "high beam" symbol, instead of words.  Never really noticed the "old" indicators before.  Then I got to thinking, I look at the switch on the handlebar to see if my high beam is on.  Why do we need a light on the tank to show high beam?  Maybe you can use it for 5th gear?????  

BH, thanks for your, thoughts, but I gave up on the 5th gear indicator as soon as I realized that the connection would have to be done internally. All of the external tranny linkage and shifter arm returns to the same position no matter what gear you're in. I'll get e tach one of these days.
Actually there is so little difference tween 4th&5th, it doesn't really matter what gear I cruise in Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 06/25/10 at 05:14:13

Routy wrote on 06/24/10 at 20:57:46:
babyhog wrote on 06/24/10 at 13:17:07:

BH, thanks for your, thoughts, but I gave up on the 5th gear indicator as soon as I realized that the connection would have to be done internally. All of the external tranny linkage and shifter arm returns to the same position no matter what gear you're in. I'll get e tach one of these days.
Actually there is so little difference tween 4th&5th, it doesn't really matter what gear I cruise in Wink

I hear ya.  After I posted that, I thought I can rarely see if my high beam light is on or not, so it wouldn't really help much as a 5th gear indicator anyway!  LOL

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #9 - 06/26/10 at 09:08:50

6th is the gear I usually have trouble finding  Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 06/26/10 at 12:32:26

5th gear? What the hell is that?

When I bought my Savage, I asked the PO how many gears there were. He said five. I said, five? "Yeah 5." So I ride it home on the parkway and I'm kickin through the gears; 1, 2, 3, 4......kick up for 5.....Nothing. Gear busted? No. No 5th gear for me Angry

FSO
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #11 - 06/26/10 at 18:17:49

photojoe FSO wrote on 06/26/10 at 12:32:26:

When I bought my Savage, I asked the PO how many gears there were. He said five. I said, five? "Yeah 5." So I ride it home on the parkway and I'm kickin through the gears; 1, 2, 3, 4......kick up for 5.....Nothing. Gear busted? No. No 5th gear for me Angry

I had just the opposite problem.  When I bought mine, the guy told me it had 4.  I just miscounted at one point, and on the way down to first, I realized I had gone down 1 more gear than I thought I had on the bike. Grin

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 06/28/10 at 12:59:42

photojoe FSO wrote on 06/26/10 at 12:32:26:

Joe,
My sporty has only 4 too.  took a while to get use to it.

On my Savage,  I was always looking for 6th.   Till I got a tach.     then I started to use the tach as a speedo since it was up on the handle bars.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Routy - 5th gear indicator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.