Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small engine repair/maintenance (Read 131 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Small engine repair/maintenance
06/24/10 at 06:35:40

IDK if its repair or maintenance, but the lawnmower s Kohler engine started surging, terrible at idle, less terrible as RPM went up & finally, at full throttle, it was running steady. The governor was clearly the culprit, but crud, IDK hoot about those things. The weathervane type, like the 3 HP lawnmowers Ive messed wit, were enough to leave me a bit lost. This thing works different, a shaft goes thru the side of the engine, goes to?? Where?To What? IDK, BUt It was messed up so, I had to give it a shot. Anyway, after taking  some parts off & tinkering around, oiling here & there, I decided to loosen the adjuster on the governor. Not a bad idea IF I woulda made some note of how the governor shaft was oriented first.. OOOps.  put it together & started it, It was headed for Full RPM & I shut it off, did that 3 times b4 I got it adjusted about right. Now, the surge is gone, running fine & I dont have one solitary clue what was done to make it work.
Anyone ever mess with these things? Can you tel me what I did & what to do next time? Or am I stuck with the Braille method?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Small engine repair/maintenance
Reply #1 - 06/24/10 at 12:30:25

Hey Justin,
  Welcome to the small engine world.

I have old mini-bikes (Rupp's) that use tecumseh engines.    Most small engines use a centifical govenor setup.  L-shaped weights fly out, push a bobbin against a lever/rod  that goes thru the block.  The lever attaches to the arm you adjusted.  

Tecumseh has a setup procedure in a docuement I have electronically.  I'll try and find where I have it and sent a link in a PM.  

What I remember...  with engine off, pull throttle to WOT, and adjust arm to full ....    (aaaaa was it CW or CCW????? ).   What I remember is that it made the mini-bike slow and I tweaked it a bit ....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/24/10 at 20:16:07

Cool, man, Id like to have some real info. If you find it, fire it on over. Thanks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 06/26/10 at 08:01:30

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 06/24/10 at 12:30:25:
Hey Justin,
  Welcome to the small engine world.

I have old mini-bikes (Rupp's) that use tecumseh engines.    Most small engines use a centifical govenor setup.  L-shaped weights fly out, push a bobbin against a lever/rod  that goes thru the block.  The lever attaches to the arm you adjusted.  

Tecumseh has a setup procedure in a docuement I have electronically.  I'll try and find where I have it and sent a link in a PM.  

What I remember...  with engine off, pull throttle to WOT, and adjust arm to full ....    (aaaaa was it CW or CCW????? ).   What I remember is that it made the mini-bike slow and I tweaked it a bit ....

i'd like a copy of that tecumseh info if it's possible - trying to resurrect/build a go kart for my kids!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/26/10 at 13:03:38

It's just PFM

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 06/27/10 at 19:21:25

Took a while to remember where I had it saved.

I had found this as a free download from the Tecumseh website several years ago.

Click---> Tecumseh Manual

T-Mack

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #6 - 06/29/10 at 10:34:07

Wow, thanks.  My 13 yo twin boys and I are restoring a go-kart.  This manual will help a lot!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 06/30/10 at 13:05:01

I used the manual on my first thumper.

1971 Rupp Roadster.  

Yep, that's a snowblower motor on there.  Bike looks bigger than it really is, but will do somewhere between 45 & 50 mph.  And on something that small that 's a little scary.

Click here for bigger pict

---
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/30/10 at 13:20:44

Well thats a thumper too

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print