Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DRILLING BAFFLE (Read 227 times)
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

DRILLING BAFFLE
06/22/10 at 19:43:22

my friend drilled 1/4 in holes in his baffle on his sporty i heard bad things not rejetting and back pressureissues he swears upand down it doesn't affect backpressure or mixture . but i beg to differ.If it is okay might do this mod but i'm kinda reluctant, i mean no rejetting at all???good backpressure, sounds like bs right???

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: DRILLING BAFFLE
Reply #1 - 06/22/10 at 19:55:08

If it doesn't effect backpressure,.. it's not doin' nuttin'...
If it does,.. then you need to rejet...

If it sounds different,.. it did something,.. so, it affects backpressure and needs rejet...
... can't have it both ways...

He's wrong...

(affect, effect,... I hope there aren't any English majors out there...) Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/22/10 at 19:58:21

my thoughts exactly jus wanted to hear it from you  guys . apperciate that

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/22/10 at 20:00:06

cause now it is a littler better sound wise but i wonder perfomance wise?? i hear a free flowing muffler decreases power correct????

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/22/10 at 20:07:41

It's all about balance,..  matching the in, to the out...
Better breathing can increase HP's,.. but only by allowing more fuel burn, which requires mores fuel (rejet)... without rejet, you're just getting more air, making you lean,... you have to match that extra air with extra fuel...
...but,... you pay for more HP peak by having a narrower torque/power band...  and torque is what gives you that sweet kick in the pants launch...
... a Stock Harley Sportster muffler is a popular swap on our bikes,... Yes, rejet,...
... and you get nice sound, and better breathing, while keeping a wide power band...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/22/10 at 21:49:14

SPORTY MUFF AND REJET NEXT...THX ALOT Cool

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/22/10 at 22:03:36

really...its likely you should rejet whether you change mufflers or not. These bikes come from the factory lean. But hell...if you gotta do one anyway you might aswell do the other.

As to your buddies sportster...its possible that drilling a few holes in the baffle worked without leaning it TOO much. He's most definately leaner than before and he most likely has reduced backpressure but he might still be okay without having to rejet. If you're on the knifes edge of lean/okay (savage) any change from stock will require a rejet. His sportster might be jetted on the rich end of okay from the factory. Or if its newer it might be FI. IDK know anything about FI. I geuss theoretically, FI sensing and compensating for the increased airflow (as if running slightly higher revs) it may auto adjust negating the need to rejet...or jetting in general. But again...I know nothing about FI.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/23/10 at 05:50:44

Still yet, I'd still have to have evidence of lean running before I'd rejet. IMO, too many here rejet just to be rejetting Shocked
Even a few hundred feet in altitude can make the difference.
My stocker (w/ drilled exhaust) shows no sign of running lean (hi sp) here at 6-700 ft.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/23/10 at 06:30:42

Routy wrote on 06/23/10 at 05:50:44:
Still yet, I'd still have to have evidence of lean running before I'd rejet. IMO, too many here rejet just to be rejetting Shocked
My stocker (w/ drilled exhaust) shows no sign of running lean (hi sp) here at 6-700 ft.

Routy you did the white spacer mod that richens it,I drilled my stock muffler up in side with long bit and a 1/2 drill,And I went 1 jet size up on low speed and 2 sizes on high speed and it really runs good.And left the spacer stock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #9 - 06/23/10 at 12:04:02

Nobody mentioned the air filter thingy.  Wink

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 06/23/10 at 14:20:58

bill67 wrote on 06/23/10 at 06:30:42:
Routy wrote on 06/23/10 at 05:50:44:

Routy you did the white spacer mod that richens it,I drilled my stock muffler up in side with long bit and a 1/2 drill,And I went 1 jet size up on low speed and 2 sizes on high speed and it really runs good.And left the spacer stock.

Bill,
I did the metering needle adjust (spacer mod) because it had a lean ragged running low end,....before ever drilling the exhaust.
After drilling the exhaust, I didn't notice any change, or any evidence of running lean, therefore no jet change.

Doing the spacer mod takes the place of adjusting the slotted needle that was done away w/ years ago,....or so I was told here, and according to the pros is the proper way to enrich the low-intermediate fuel delivery. If you corrected any lean conditions by changing jets, thats good, but if you changed jets w/o any evidence of needing it, that was the sole purpose of my post.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/23/10 at 17:27:12

OKAY BUT CHECK THIS OUT I DID THE SPACER MOD  I LIVE IN SA TEXAS LOW ELEVATION AND HUMID HOT 10 MONTHS A YEAR. SO I DID THE SPACER THINGY AND THE darn THING HATED IT IT FLOODED VERY TIME IN LIKE A MINUTE AFTER OF RUNNIN IT. SO WENT BACK TO STOCK. THEN sorry caps my bad Smiley my plugs are perfect color.its tuned pretty good my opinion. also i tried putting a kn filter in mine but that made a little to lean. so space mod and drill baffle??? or just baffle.cuz if i don't like it ill tap it and put bolts in the baffles to go back stock. i do'nt need morepwer i already got a bigger rear tire and it runs 70 at bout 4600 rpm which is a good cruzin speed right???

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/23/10 at 17:30:23

by the way his sporty is carb it's 99 not 07

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/23/10 at 17:34:45

alsodoes the s40 have arev limiter???its got 20k and runs like new no cam chain noise.valves been done decom sylonoid too beside reg maintence,just haven't checked the timing chain but it doesn't make ne noise

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 06/23/10 at 18:16:11

texsam wrote on 06/23/10 at 17:34:45:
does the s40 have arev limiter???

no...