Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
12 things cops don't want you to know. (Read 676 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: 12 things cops don't want you to know.
Reply #15 - 06/24/10 at 07:50:12

If it makes you feel better, the limit for a commercial driver is 0.02. The slightest trace will put the driver "out of service" for 24 hours. Those who have a CDL (commercial driver license) have to be very watchful even when not driving commercially. When driving non-commercially the 0.08 limit is supposed to apply, not the 0.02. But I am told a CDL holder can be confident of needing an attorney if tested at, say, 0.06 in the car off the job.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #16 - 06/24/10 at 07:50:56

Babyhog -

We're on the same page.  I think we need realistic limitations on the degree of all of the means of impairment that allow anyone to drive.

I just can't stand the way the whole system has picked out one form of impairment for a ridiculous, extreme limit, for political correctness and to satisfy the radicals who make up MADD.

We have a nut here in Ohio, Mike DeWine, running for the Senate, who wants the limit down to .06.  He had a child killed years ago in an accident with a "drunk driver", and this is his personal crusade.

How many people know someone who had a bad accident with a totally sober driver?

Can I understand his feelings?  Sure.  But I still don't agree with them.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 06/24/10 at 07:53:54

Interesting about the CDL limit of .02.

Just an example of how the limit is extreme.

For commercial flying, the limit is two fold:  At least 8 hours since the last consumption of any alcohol, and a max of .04.  To me, that's reasonable.  Having done it for years, landing a jet at night in the rain is a little more demanding than driving.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #18 - 06/24/10 at 08:02:23

Mr. Hyde -

Canada, unfortunately, is often the harbinger of things to come in the U.S.

The limit in Germany is .04, BUT, you have to remember that they have many autobahns with no speed limit, where one can drive at 150 mph if his car can do it.  I have freqently cruised well in excess of 100 mph for hours on end in Germany.  More demanding situations = need for a tighter limit.  OK by me.

Again, reasonable for their conditions and their circumstances - stupid for North America, though.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/24/10 at 09:27:04

we have .05 in Bosnia. Croatia has ZERO. That's 0.0!!! And they are a Mediterranean, Adriatic, very tourist country... Imagine that. You come to the adriatic coast and you can't have a single drink...
To me, tightening the boundaries is not smart. Make punishment radical, but loosen the legal limit. My city just passed a 50km/h speed limit law (used to be 60) to stop speeders. Know what? That is not going to stop them. It will slow ME down, all right, but it will not stop violators, since they never cared anyways!!
What is MADD anyways???

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #20 - 06/24/10 at 10:03:15

Mothers
Against
Drunk
Drivers  

MADD

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #21 - 06/24/10 at 10:07:28

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 06/24/10 at 05:49:53:
So my beef is simple - some degree of impairment is allowed in many situations - I only say that the .08 alcohol limit is too low - that's all.  Raise it back to .15, where a person is truly too impaired to drive.

OK, I'll support this (even though my Son, not some 3rd cousin's friend) was hit by a drunk driver who at least had the decency to die in the accident he caused.

But only if you will support that when they do catch someone over the new limit, they put his A$$ in jail for a LOOOONNNGGG stretch, not one of these "Go to jail on week-ends" deals.

Since we have now raised the limit, we know it wasn't just 1 beer, and they should have known the consequences.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/24/10 at 10:24:58

jerry,

so we get to choose which laws we want to follow based on our own logic???    

awesome!!  

Cool

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 06/24/10 at 11:20:40

I'm with Tanker 100%. Loosen up, control often, and if I still break the law - punish hard! All these "preventive" restrictions don't do too much.

Mothers Against Drunk Drivers, huh? Interesting. I'm all for AGAINST drunk drivers, but .05 is (IMHO) not "drunk". Just as 50km/h is not "speed" for cars nowadays.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #24 - 06/24/10 at 11:38:43

"Drunk" is an interesting concept.  What is "drunk" as opposed to "impaired"?

"Drunk" is a media catch word; nothing more.

As I said earlier, we're all impaired to some degree - unless you're the likes of Michael Shumacher or Lewis Hamilton, nobody can really drive.

Truly drunk, to me, is so far slammed that you can't walk straight, can't talk, maybe even can't sit up straight.

Below that is "impaired".  All of the way from the .18 guy who runs a stop sign and red light, to the .24 person who can't realize he just entered a freeway up an exit ramp and hits someone head on.

So the problem is that we set a limit, and treat all people above the limit as the same.

My solution would be a graduated limit, with ever incresaing penalties.  For a first time offender, I can live with a limit of .08, so long as the penalty is commensurate with a slight impairment one has at that level.  Treat this offense like the typical speeding ticket.

Then, maybe around .12, stiffer fine, and maybe a 5 or 10 day license suspension.

Then, at around .15, get serious - heavy fine, 3 to 6 month suspension.

At about .18, get real serious - 10 days (consecutive) in the slammer, very heavy fine, 1 year suspension.

After .20, treat it as a 4th degree felony.  30 days minimum in jail, license suspension of 2+ years.

If an accident is involved with serious injuries, kick each limit up at least one notch on the scale.  Each offense after the first one, do the same; kick it up one notch for each time after the first one.

But today, we in Ohio treat all violations the same for a first time offender if he exceeds .08, regardless of how high he was.  Stupid.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #25 - 06/24/10 at 11:51:51

Here is another tid bit of info.  If you get a speeding ticket and argue it in court, inquire or have your attorney inquire if the officer calibrated their radar prior to shift.  Dont know if it works in other states but I learned that when I was a police officer myself.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/24/10 at 13:45:15

License suspensions don't work.  Those with suspended licenses continue to drive and ignore the consequences.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 06/24/10 at 14:10:53

License suspensions do work for most people.  Agree they don't work for all - some people have never bothered to ever have any license at all.

My buddy who got nailed received Ohio's mandatory 6 month suspension, and after 15 days of "hard time", got the standard work privileges - to and from work 5 days a week, home off the road totally by 6:30 PM, 1/2 a day on Sat., no driving on Sunday at all.  I had to go get him if we wanted to have dinner together, which we did a couple of  times.  Again, this is the first ticket of any kind this 48 year old business owner had ever had - treating him like a child molester with his otherwise perfect driving record for over 30 years was ludicrous.  And, he is a single guy - no driving at all on Sunday was about as stupid as it gets.  And, of course, his violation was on a country road 200 yards fromhis home, no accident, just a cop from a sheriff's dept. that has a real reputation to begin with.

All depends on who the violator is - business person, steadily employed person - they work.

Bum, illegal immigrant, or the like - they don't work.

You can't over characterize a penalty as never, or always, working for everyone.

And, one more thing - a person with a single DUI cannot enter Canada for 5 years after the completion of sentence and probation if imposed by the court.  Period, can't go there.  After 5 years, the person can ask Canadian authorities for permission, but it may not be granted.  After 10 years, Canada assumes that the person is rehabilitated.  How stupid is that for a one time offender?

My buddy has a boat on the Ohio side of Lake Erie - now for 5 years he can't dock at any Canadian port.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #28 - 06/24/10 at 14:26:38

Jerry, I could not agree with you more on all counts. Let the punishment fit the crime.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 06/24/10 at 15:56:48

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 06/24/10 at 14:10:53:
his violation was on a country road 200 yards fromhis home, no accident, just a cop from a sheriff's dept. that has a real reputation to begin with.

My buddy has a boat on the Ohio side of Lake Erie - now for 5 years he can't dock at any Canadian port.

Must be tragic to only have half of one of he Great Lakes to use.  Does he Boat "not really impaired too"

And since we are looking at the confrontation with the LEO happening "only 200 yards from his driveway";  did he just materialize there?  Or was he driving from wherever he had had the alcohol for some distance.  Potentially putting anyone he passed at risk.  

I am a big believer in personal freedom, but when your freedom choices put me or my family at risk, I draw a line.  If your friend wants to drink until he is over WHATEVER the limit is,  he needs to find an alternate means of transport.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 10:40:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › 12 things cops don't want you to know.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.