Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trying to figure out if I should get an s40 (Read 491 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Trying to figure out if I should get an s40
Reply #30 - 06/24/10 at 21:51:20

Charon wrote on 06/24/10 at 13:13:25:
I am sure to catch flak for this, but as a rule stock motorcycles tend to be more reliable than modded ones. Minor body mods such as fenders, mirrors, foot pegs and so on have little effect, however. Motorcycles seem to bring out the "modify it and make it your own" folks. I have caught flak before for saying that modifications tend to reduce resale value - but they do. It is your money and your choice, but if it were me I would consider keeping it stock for a while. After all, the time you spend modifying is time you won't be riding.

+1 to a point.
Uncharted waters tend to bring about mishaps from time to time. Good thing is...extensive mods have already been tried and perfected on the savage. There's a lot you can do to make it your own that you dont have to be the first person to try. From practicality in maint, to cosmetic to performance. Lots of options. Extensive modding does lend itself to (1 - addiction. Its easy to start tinkering and never finish (2 - From time to time you may well f$*k something up that you have to go back and fix.
That being said...I personally have no plans of selling my savage so I dont mind tinkering and putting money into it to make it my own. Being a new rider you may or may not end up wanting something else in the future. Before you go doing anything extensive it is a good idea to decide what you're plans are for the bike because if you decide to sell, Charon is right...anything that isnt stock will be a hit, even if modest, to the resale value.
I figure you'll have it a year or two before you get up your confidence enough to start changing anything major. By that time Im geussing you'll have made the cost/benefit analysis deciding whether the savage is a keeper or if you'd like something else...or both, but again...for a beginner the savage is a good bike and its a blank slate for much more if you decide to take that route.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 06/24/10 at 22:35:24

Used are so mu8ch cheaper. I bought new in 05. Had I known what I do now, I would have bought used.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #32 - 06/25/10 at 12:57:52

BurnPgh wrote on 06/24/10 at 21:51:20:
Charon wrote on 06/24/10 at 13:13:25:
I am sure to catch flak for this, but as a rule stock motorcycles tend to be more reliable than modded ones. Minor body mods such as fenders, mirrors, foot pegs and so on have little effect, however. Motorcycles seem to bring out the "modify it and make it your own" folks. I have caught flak before for saying that modifications tend to reduce resale value - but they do. It is your money and your choice, but if it were me I would consider keeping it stock for a while. After all, the time you spend modifying is time you won't be riding.

+1 to a point.
Uncharted waters tend to bring about mishaps from time to time. Good thing is...extensive mods have already been tried and perfected on the savage. There's a lot you can do to make it your own that you dont have to be the first person to try. From practicality in maint, to cosmetic to performance. Lots of options. Extensive modding does lend itself to (1 - addiction. Its easy to start tinkering and never finish (2 - From time to time you may well f$*k something up that you have to go back and fix.
That being said...I personally have no plans of selling my savage so I dont mind tinkering and putting money into it to make it my own. Being a new rider you may or may not end up wanting something else in the future. Before you go doing anything extensive it is a good idea to decide what you're plans are for the bike because if you decide to sell, Charon is right...anything that isnt stock will be a hit, even if modest, to the resale value.
I figure you'll have it a year or two before you get up your confidence enough to start changing anything major. By that time Im geussing you'll have made the cost/benefit analysis deciding whether the savage is a keeper or if you'd like something else...or both, but again...for a beginner the savage is a good bike and its a blank slate for much more if you decide to take that route.

i agree 100%. Charon is *gasp* absolutely right. Shocked haha. stock will give you the longest lasting, most economical machine. little things for comfort improve the ride - windshield, forward controls, bars, seat. an exhaust maybe to make it not sound so much like a sewing machine. replace the tank with a bigger one or a sporty if yours is dented. sooner of later, you'll make SOME mod, and then BAM! you caught the bug. haha.
my addiction was accelerated by needing to repair after my first crash  Undecided. but the savage is easy to mod and you got a great bunch of people here to help. just stay away from the carb and engine and you shouldn't have trouble.  Grin

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 06/25/10 at 19:51:35

stay away from the carb and engine and you shouldn't have trouble.

or fun...J/K, Youll have ablast.
A fork brac`e is a good mod to do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 06/25/10 at 22:09:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/10 at 19:51:35:
stay away from the carb and engine and you shouldn't have trouble.

...or fun...

It's only fun until you're about halfway done. The second half of the process is pure frustration that you havent got it JUST right yet...but you're not sure until your done where half way was. By the time you figure out the end and halfway point you'll have forgotten when you started and when you realize you're finished you'll have to start all over...just because the first half was so much fun.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #35 - 06/26/10 at 06:06:49

Other than a carb rejet I don't mess with the engine. On any metric.

My 99 Vulcan 800A had shaved cylinder heads, port matched intake and exhaust, a full balance and blueprint, Cobra exhaust and a K&N filter when I bought it. I flog my bikes like I hate them, I got 44K miles out of it in the 18 months i had it. Bottom end was knocking when I sold it.

My 2005 Vulcan 800B (Classic) had stone stock engine and peripherals when I bought it. Ran great for the 3 months I had it. Steering head bearing locked up at 20 mph in a tight curve, down it went, as soon as I was able to ride post-op, I sold it.

My Savage, even with all the peculiar mods I've done, really only suffers from electrical bugs. And it had those showroom new. I've got the experience to ride anything out there, but choose to keep the baby bike around.

It's funny, but when it is done, the Panhead will be the back up bike to the Savage. I'd rather ride light and tight... man could that ever be taken the wrong way... Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trying to figure out if I should get an s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.