Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trying to figure out if I should get an s40 (Read 491 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Trying to figure out if I should get an s40
Reply #15 - 06/22/10 at 18:55:44

Would anyone expect to sale a S40 he bought new for more than he paid for it. As long as I can remember when you buy a car ,motorcycle,lawn mower,and so on they go down in value.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 06/22/10 at 18:59:27

How about a 1957 t-bird?

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 06/22/10 at 19:14:07

My neighbor's 1950 Indian Chief Roadmaster sold new for less than $2000. It sold a couple years ago for $60,000... and it hadn't been run since the mid 1960s.

His 1968 Camaro (big block, 4 spd, convertible) sold for $250,000. Last ran in 1969.

My 1957 Panhead parts junker is worth $7000 as it sits. I got it for free earlier this year.

My 1998 Savage cost me $4200 out the door, brand new. I've put over $10,000 worth of parts and time into it since then. It's worth about 17 cents a pound at current scrap rates...

Somethings can increase in value over time. An Evo Sporty or modern Triumph won't be worth more than their composite scrap value in any of our lifetimes. Too many of them out there.

So I'd buy the Savage, have my fun and if the old goats don't like it, too bad for them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 06/22/10 at 20:08:14

My neighbors got a 1910 model T Ford with 2500 miles looks like new what do you think its worth.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 06/22/10 at 20:38:55

So you do remember!

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/22/10 at 22:29:02

WD wrote on 06/22/10 at 18:46:42:
A new Savage is a $4500 throw away. A new Sporty is an $8-12K throw away. No matter how much you like riding, you buy a new ride, you've thrown that money away. You'll never get back your initial investment if you move on to something else.

Which is why I advocate buying used. I wouldnt spend more than $2500 on a savage (depending on your area). I bought a '95 with 9500mi for $1500 2 years ago after upgrading from a rebel 250.
I fell in love with it and have absolutely no intention of ever getting rid of it. Once you learn to ride and wrench a while you will "outgrow" its stock configuration and limits.
The awesome thing about the savage is that you can mod the bike to grow with you for pennies compared to a Harley. Go ahead and ask the Harley dealer how much for forward controls. Savage price...+/- $100. Ask how much to rebore fron 883 to 1200. Savage price ... From 94mm bore to 97mm (with a high comp piston at that) will cost you about $300.
This is assuming you do most of your own labor, and the savage is so simple theres no reason you shouldnt after you've done some basic maint. and gotten up your confidence.
Lancer is leading in the mod department and his last rendition gained him 50% increase in HP from stock 30 to 45. And he's done even more. He's expecting in excess of 50HP with his latest round of mods.
It's a light, nimble, reasonably powerful (for a beginner), simply designed, easily maintained, cheap to buy and insure, fuel efficient pallet for riders to paint on. Buy one, ride it, wrench it, make it yours.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 06/23/10 at 08:18:56

I always buy used...everything. New is new but you can get a used s40 with barely any miles for 1/2 the price of used. The warranty on new is only 12 months anyway so what's the point?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1800890619.html

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ashintmc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/23/10 at 08:36:22

Bubba wrote on 06/23/10 at 08:18:56:
I always buy used...everything. New is new but you can get a used s40 with barely any miles for 1/2 the price of used. The warranty on new is only 12 months anyway so what's the point?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1800890619.html

hey thanks for the target .

just finished my msf course this weekend hated the rebels they had me on needed a little more oomph. So took the bonne out and that was too much for me as a beginner its a 800+ displacement.  

so one dad down now on to the inlaws lolz. gonna take a test ride at one of the little podunk dealers here has a 2004 for 1800$ i ll let you guys know what happens. really have enjoyed all the tests ive done on the savage over any of the others.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 06/23/10 at 08:59:32

1800 bucks ROCKS...I bought my '06 for 1900 with 7200 miles and he threw in saddlebag brackets, gloves and a pack...he would have given me his helmet but his melon was way bigger than mine... Smiley

P.S. we used Honda Nighthawks in our training...they felt like toys!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ashintmc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/23/10 at 09:19:49

I hope that its worth my time. it had a dent in the gas tank and some screwed up pegs but if it runs fine im sure i can get some cheap pegs otherwise ill keep my eyes open. it has bags and a windshield to make up the dings .

ill post a pic if i get it

thanks for all the input

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 06/23/10 at 09:24:38

I know you're in the middle of Kansas and all but sometimes it's worth it to wait for the best deal to come along. I almost drove to Colorado Springs from Denver to pick one up in a trailer...she had sold it to someone else and was kind enough to e-mail me and let me know before I rented the trailer.
2 weeks later I saw the one that I finally bought...even talked him down 100 bucks.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 06/23/10 at 21:05:51

I've had: Knuckleheads, Panheads, both styles of Shovelheads, Ironhead Sportsters, Evo Sportsters, Evo Big Twins, 45" flatheads, 74" Chief flatheads, Scouts, BSAs, Triumphs, Henderson, Excelsior, BMW, Hondas, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Suzukis, Benelli, Hodaka, Husqvarna, even had a Puch for awhile.

I've got a beat to s**t Panhead, a beat to s**t Honda 250 Scrambler turned tracker/cafe cross (shame the ultra-rare CL72 was already cut up when I got it), a Rickman Zundapp that is slated to get a Benelli 2 stroke engine, and a heavily butchered Savage.

This one:

It now has a set of 800 Intruder rear shocks, so the back end sits a good bit higher. But, that photo came out like crap.

You can do anything with these bikes and 99% of the time they will take it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
drd1135
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Southwest Virginia
Reply #27 - 06/24/10 at 08:00:49

I'll delurk for a minute.  I have a 2003 Savage and and 2005 "1200 conversion" Sportster.  I bought the Savage first and learned to ride before I bought the Harley.  My wife still uses the Savage but, given that she doesn't ride much, I will take it out periodically to put some miles on it.

Firstly, the Savage is a much better starter bike than a Sporty.  It's lighter and feels a bit lower.  Not only is it easier to handle, but being lighter, you get less damage is you drop it during low speed maneuvers, which are the hardest part for beginners.  It has a similar power to weight ratio as the 883 Sporty (just look up the numbers, especially the torque numbers)  For long distance riding, I've changed the seat of the Sportster so now it's  more comfortable.  Still, the Savage is pretty good especially considering it's still stock.  

As someone that rides both, my observation is that the bikes have similar power characteristics, with the the Savage easier to ride and the Sporty more comfy on long rides.  As a starter bike, the Savage is a no brainer.  The Sporty is harder to ride.  Whether you keep the Savage or trade away is a matter of preference.  Of course, you can always have one of each. Cool

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #28 - 06/24/10 at 10:49:53

i got my savage as a beginner bike over smaller cc bikes because i didn't want to have to trade up as soon, but i love it now. as you can see, its not just for beginners as some of the members have settle on these after riding all sorts of stuff. i do wish mine was a little more gutsy on the highway, but a stock one will do 90mph no prob. don't know what kind of riding you'll be doing. in town they're good. long distance: you may want to make some comfort mods. they're light, quick, easy to ride, easy to maintain (except you have to take the seat and gas tank off to work on anything), and cheap to modify. oh, and great mpg.

i've only ever owned the savage, but would love to own both a triumph and a sportster. that sounds like a good price for them too (depending on the year and mileage), but a used savage can be had for half that. think of the beer money! also, i wouldn't enjoy having people tell me what i should ride. get what YOU want. i've got a chip on my shoulder about harley riders too. the majority seem to have more money than brains.

the Harley: an American classic, but you'll blend in with every other a$$hole out there.

the Triumph: great looking, classy, but not sure about reliability.

the Savage: cheap, reliable, you'll get looks and "what is that??" plus a big grin on your face  Cheesy

just my $.02

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #29 - 06/24/10 at 13:13:25

I am sure to catch flak for this, but as a rule stock motorcycles tend to be more reliable than modded ones. Minor body mods such as fenders, mirrors, foot pegs and so on have little effect, however. Motorcycles seem to bring out the "modify it and make it your own" folks. I have caught flak before for saying that modifications tend to reduce resale value - but they do. It is your money and your choice, but if it were me I would consider keeping it stock for a while. After all, the time you spend modifying is time you won't be riding.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trying to figure out if I should get an s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.