Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trying to figure out if I should get an s40 (Read 491 times)
ashintmc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Trying to figure out if I should get an s40
06/22/10 at 13:57:34

I'm looking at getting my first bike ever and fell in love with the savage. There's a couple of problems though living in Kansas it's very hard to find a used one and my wifes father is an extremly pushy Harley guy and my dad Is a lifelong triumph buyer. Both have offered either a bonneville or nightster to me for the same price as new s40 and both have given me alot of greif over even looking at a savage. I don't know what to do as a beginner. If I get the savage what are somethings I cam tell them justify picking it over the bonne or Harley . Thanks in advance

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Re: Trying to figure out if I should get an s40
Reply #1 - 06/22/10 at 14:13:03

I like the single cyl/single carb/belt design.  Simple and easy to work with to maintain and modify.  So unless you are getting a HD or Triumph with single/belt... you can make a case.  But if they are very knowledgeable about HD or Triumph in terms of mech and maint, you won't hear the end of it, it you run into issues with a savage that you can't solve.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 06/22/10 at 14:23:26

If they're offering to pay then I'd go with the Triumph. I've always liked the look of them. But why buy new???

You're best argument for the Suzi is that if you go used, you've only spent like 2500 for a pretty new bike that is way fun to ride. Plus, if they like to wrench their gonna love how easy the savage is to work on (except for the crappy screws).

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/22/10 at 14:48:52

Ride you own ride.  Did they chose your wife?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/22/10 at 14:58:10

Look you're a beginner right?
Tell them you want a cheap light bike to get your wheels rolling and if you drop the thing, you'll only cry half a tear.  Then when you got your wheels on straight you might take 'em up on their offer.
Get yourself anything later than a '95 with under 20k miles for $1500 give or take 500 and have fun.
Cut the muffler off and put a straight pipe so you're louder than the HD and he'll be impressed.
Rejet it and make him cry when he can't shake you.
Rub it in, call your bike a moped as in "your dad can't outrun a moped"

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 06/22/10 at 15:13:37

Many of how us can any bike we what.  I want a wickedly quick light city bike.  Can they do this?:

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/22/10 at 15:46:54

What Versy says, is a good point...
Plus,.. what Paladin says...

verslagen1 wrote on 06/22/10 at 14:58:10:
Look you're a beginner right?
Tell them you want a cheap light bike to get your wheels rolling and if you drop the thing, you'll only cry half a tear.  Then when you got your wheels on straight you might take 'em up on their offer.
Get yourself anything later than a '95 with under 20k miles for $1500 give or take 500 and have fun.

Paladin. wrote on 06/22/10 at 14:48:52:
Ride you own ride.

Tell them it's what you like...
That's why they ride what they ride...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ashintmc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/22/10 at 16:08:56

Thanks it actually helps when putting together a case(both are lawyers) another question that popped what are some unique things to look for on a used savage that wouldn't be common on bigger twins while I'm mildly mechanically oriented i just don't want to overlook something when I get it

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/22/10 at 16:56:20

If your looking for a round town bike and back roads the s40 is the best choice,But if you want to ride double and go any distance its not a good choice.If you buy and S40 buy new or other wise you will been spending your time working on it instead of riding.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 06/22/10 at 17:07:31

You said it would be your first bike ever, but you did not say whether you have ever ridden before. If you haven't I suggest finding and taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginning course before you even look at a motorcycle. You will have a chance to ride (a little) on their bikes instead of your own, and perhaps decide if the whole idea is what you want. One thing about the MSF course is that, in many states, successful completion waives the requirement to take a state driver's license test. It becomes possible to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license without even owning a motorcycle.

Be advised there is at least one forum member who, based on a statistically invalid sample, believes the MSF course is dangerous and should be abolished. Just thought you't like to know before he chimes in.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/22/10 at 17:07:56

This one is really old school.
Oil leaks are common but not difficult to fix...
head plug - take head cover off and replace.  visible behind header.
head - retorque head if not too bad, new head gasket if it is.  visible on underside of head.
clutch arm - r&r cover, replace o-ring.
various o-rings on inspection covers.
valve ticking, easy to adjust, just like old vdub
problems to watch out for are knocking on the right side above the oil filter cover, easy fix, just mutter cam chain $600 to fix.
Take some time and isolate any noises you hear by touching various things and see if the noise goes away.

A lot of the stuff your dad and in-law knows will transfer right over.
and what they don't know we do.  just ask, someone here's done it.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/22/10 at 17:12:29

I have never bought a used bike and never would,Young people do not take care of their stuff,How do I know I have a son and 3 son in laws.When I grew up people didn't have much so they took care of what they had.Today and for the last 25 years the kids have had almost anything they wanted,so it don't mean much to them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/22/10 at 17:25:55

... on the other hand,... I always buy used...
Let some other guy take the sticker shock...  a bike loses a thousand dollars of value when it leaves the dealership parking lot...
I usually $1200 to $1800 for a Savage with 3 to 6 thousand miles on it...  96' to 04'...
I've bought and sold 6 of them...
I've got 24k miles on my 97' with no major problems... I paid $1500 for it back in 03' with 3200 miles on it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 06/22/10 at 18:03:31

I bought a used 07 a year ago for $2500, only because I couldn't tell it from a new one, and at 5,000 miles, still can't.
I wanted to ride a Sporty before I bought anything, but after just sitting on one, I knew it wad'nt for me,.....apples to oranges in my book !
The Savage s-40 is very unique, basic no frills,.....just the way motorcycles were meant to be  Cool I wouldn't trade mine for any other bike,....or none that I've found yet.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/22/10 at 18:46:42

I wouldn't have another Evolution Sportster on a dare, given to me brand new, with free gas/oil/tires/pistons thrown in. For the length of my life. Top heavy, cramped, lousy power to weight ratio (stoplight to stoplight a Savage will eat a 1200 piglet), parts fall off (lights), leaky external oil tank and lines, undergeared, 2X6 seat "padding", rear cylinder overheats frequently...

I haven't played with any modernized Bonnevilles, biggest difference I see against my 1964s (gave away because they were such heaps) is better electrical system and no more external oil tank/lines. The brakes are supposedly pretty good though.

How many Savages do you see traded in for a Big Twin Harley versus how many Sporties come back within a year for something better, more comfortable, larger...

A new Savage is a $4500 throw away. A new Sporty is an $8-12K throw away. No matter how much you like riding, you buy a new ride, you've thrown that money away. You'll never get back your initial investment if you move on to something else.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:17:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trying to figure out if I should get an s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.