Send Topic Print
Rear brake squeal (Read 188 times)
n1jdu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear brake squeal
06/22/10 at 04:50:27

I haven't ridden my '04 Savage in a year (or two), but recently put it back on the road Smiley

As soon as I started riding it I remembered that my rear brake squeals .. every time it is applied strong enough to make a difference in my speed. This was the case when I stopped riding, but when the bike was "new" it was fine. I don't remember when the squeal started but the bike has 11k miles on it.

The other day .. approaching a stop .. I applied the brakes and instead of the 'normal' squeal there was a *very* loud squeal .. almost like something was broke/breaking ... but now .. THE SQUEAL IS GONE!

My question: what causes squeal on drum brakes .. and why would it go away suddenly like that?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Rear brake squeal
Reply #1 - 06/22/10 at 09:53:27

well, i'm not 100% sure about your case, but it is my understanding that most squeals are caused by debris in the brake.

so i guess it is *possible* that when you applied your brakes hard it cleared the debris out. i sometimes use that trick when i know i've got dirt or whatnot in my front brakes.

on the other hand, it could be that your pads were low and scraping against the metal on the brake shoe, and that you just busted the hell out of them.

but, like i said, not too sure. i've never had the guts to dive into the drum brake, despite having replacement pads ready and all...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
n1jdu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/22/10 at 10:47:21

Thanks for the reply. However I did not apply "hard" breaking when I heard the loud noise. I was on a city street at less than 30 mph, and as soon as I heard the noise I let up on the rear brake (and finished the stop with the front)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/22/10 at 22:19:22

I'd open it up and check it out.

The dust and moisture will make it squeal.
Ever since I started using the rear brakes just a little when ever I'm slowing the squeal has gone away.  1st time use them hard till they get hot.  then the squeal will go away.

WWW   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 06/23/10 at 00:35:52

i have the same problem   it does make people cross quickly at crossing though because it sounds like your unable to stop  Grin

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/23/10 at 12:19:10

If a rear brake isn't used much its more likely to squeal try using it more.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/27/10 at 14:51:21

Mine have squeeled forever. When I had the rear tire off to fix the flat I went in and roughed up the shoe surface and the inside of drum with emery cloth. I beveled the contact edges and cleaned it all up with brake cleaner. Didn't make a dam bit of difference. Squeeled just the same. So I just let it squeel, as I can't afford new shoes and I'm not taking it all apart again until I can. I do get some weird looks from people in the cars next to me. Oh well.....

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/29/10 at 12:19:10

If it was a real problem, I'd drop the shoes off at the clutch and brake lining place, have some soft lining put on......end up w/ no squeals and less lever pressure for more stopping power.
Or else w-d it ! Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:28:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.