Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stranger On Your Ride.. (Read 443 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stranger On Your Ride..
Reply #15 - 06/22/10 at 22:44:31

Never had anyone touch my ride that i know of. It does have the potential to get ugly if the scenario did occur. My theoretical response would be 1- Get off of my bike now. Assuming non compliance...2 - Threaten to call the police to report an attempted theft 3 - Report an attempted theft in progress 4 - My keys fit very comfortably between my fingers when I make a fist...and step 4 is when the d!ck messing with my bike will find that out.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #16 - 06/25/10 at 04:59:11

I wouldnt want a kid to get hurt, they arent old enough to know better.  Their parents, they are stupid and should be informed of this.  (the stupid often don't realize they are, in fact, stupid)  I would be mad too if I saw a stranger just plop their behind on my bike without asking first.  You know only a peep that doesnt ride would do that.  Anyone that has a bike would understand, and show more respect.  How to handle this situation?  Humm, well how about a "GET THE HELL OFF MY BIKE"? Works for me.  Wink

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #17 - 06/25/10 at 06:07:52

That is relatively unheard of where I live. People up here seem to instinctively know you don't sit on someone's motorcycle without permission, ever.  I agree with Angie - "GET THE HELL OFF MY BIKE" should work, if not, regardless if you're 5'1', give him a shot.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 06/25/10 at 07:55:24

I've been thinking about this since the thread started.  I don't think it is common practice around here either.  We were looking at one in a yard, with a For Sale sign on it, and I wouldn't even sit on it.  The owner was not outside.  But if I came out of a store or something, and found someone sitting on my bike, "Excuse ME?!!" would probably be my first reaction.  "Get the hell off" would follow if they gave me any lip!  

Cute (but coulda been scary) -- We were camping with in-law's.  They have a big camper, hubby and I rode the bikes.  The bikes were parked at the end of the camper.  Sister-in-law and I were sitting outside talking, 4-year-old nephew was riding around on his bike.  He had been wearing my son's FF helmet, riding his little bicycle with training wheels, it was adorable.  Anyway, we were just sitting, talking, not paying attention.  I hear "Help" in nephew's little voice.  I walked around the end of the camper to find him perched on MY bike, helmet in his hands, and he didn't know how to get back down.  I was internally fuming because we had already cautioned him that it could be hot (not to mention he had previously climbed on hubby's bike, scraped his foot across the passenger pillion leaving a mark!).  And I was scared that he could have knocked mine over.  I had to get pretty stern with him and show him that I was not happy with what he had done.  Looking back, it was cute how he wimpered "help"... poor thing.  I sure am glad it didn't turn out worse.  Now I watch my bike like a HAWK!   

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #19 - 06/25/10 at 08:30:44

"the stupid often don't realize they are, in fact, stupid"

My wifey calls exactly this "the hamster theory",
as in: a hamster doesn't know it's a hamster  
Grin

"People up here seem to instinctively know you don't
sit on someone's motorcycle without permission, ever"

Yeah, that should be the case in every corner
of the world, sadly respect & common sense
is an artform long lost and forgotten by many.  

Still, I think it depends a lot on the situation,
and it's very true that kids don't know any
better and can simply cannot resist the
temptation of hopping on a parked bike.

I'm guessing a lot of us started exactly
that way, maybe sneaking into someones
garage (uncle, cousin, familyfriend, etc)
on any given sunday and dream-riding
on a real motorcycle complete with
real controls, pegs, mud and that addictive
smell of mixed dirt and gasoline, hell I know
that that is what got me hooked when I was 6.

Now let's also face the fact that maybe 90%*
of male adults are still dumb children on the
inside and resistance to beer, chocolate, t&a
and motorcycles is futile, so can you really
blame anyone at all?  Cheesy

* The other 10% are just plain bitter folks or
fear them cause someone they know killed them-
selves on a motorcycle (as if it's the bikes fault).

So always leave your bike in gear and go ahead,
make the little bastards day and let'em hop on
and dream for 2 minutes, if it's an adult greet the
smuck and try to coax him into buying a savage,
either way there's usually no harm done and it's
not like it's a classic vincent or anything  Wink

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #20 - 06/25/10 at 10:05:00

Seems no one has mentioned locking their forks to deter anyone from sittng on their bikes.
For those of us that have that option at least. I lock mine anytime I am off of my bike. It makes it a little more difficult to just sit on the bike that way.

We would all most likely prefer someone to ask us first whether we would mind them sitting on our bikes and for the most part that is how it happens. It appears for some their have been occassions where it hasn't. If enough of us spread the word thru friends, co-workers, etc, etc, to ask before sitting, maybe it will get the word out to the non riders to be more respectful.. Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/25/10 at 10:15:02

I tend to think they would sit on it anyway,... but are more likely to drop it if they try to set it upright...
I know I've been caught off balance by righting a bike with the fork locked...

I never use the fork lock... two tough guys can easily throw our bikes in the back of a truck, locked or not...
But, Savages are the least stolen bike...  
Go figure?... People have no taste.... Huh...

I usually leave my helmet and gloves on the bike, in the open....  I think it sends a signal that I'm close by,... and not afraid to come over and kick your ass...
'Course,... I'm mostly bluffing, unless you're a total wuss... Huh....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #22 - 06/26/10 at 07:40:21

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 06/25/10 at 08:30:44:
"the stupid often don't realize they are, in fact, stupid"

My wifey calls exactly this "the hamster theory",
as in: a hamster doesn't know it's a hamster  
Grin

I think the official name of the hamster theory is the "Dunning-Kruger effect"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

i saw this while browsing - "hey, that's the hamster theory!" Cheesy

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 06/26/10 at 08:51:52

When Im rubberneckin a car or bike  & the owner isnt there to say its okay, I keep my body away from it, hands behind my hips, so it theyre watching they can at least see I have respect for it. Last one I walked around & poked my head in was a Camaro. I just looked at the state inspection sticker to get the year model. 69 camaro, all original. Im pretty sure the guy saw me, since he was walkin out the liquor store as I was finishing my second pass, walking around it, studying the body lines. Look, dont touch, I think its a good policy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 06/28/10 at 21:20:02

Makes my blood boil just thinking about it.   Staplebox I couldn't agree with you more and I believe Angie said it best :

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GET THE HELL OF MY BIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!,  followed by the bigest and fastest fist I could sling.  

a cellphone picture might be a good thing to have when the law showed up, but I doin't know if I could wait to smack the perpatrator long enough to snap a picture.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 05:29:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Stranger On Your Ride..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.