Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Backfires and Shuts Off (Read 116 times)
double410
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Backfires and Shuts Off
06/20/10 at 02:09:15

Hi: I just purchased a 2001 savage with 8473 miles. When going up a long steep uphill grade running the throttle almost open the bike will backfire and loose power sometimes shutting off. After setting a moment it will restart and run. It seems like there is a fuel issue. I checked the fuel pet-thingy and it appears the vacuum is opening it. Do think I could have a float not set correctly in the carburator. Where do you suggest I check next. It seems to run OK when the throttle is not held almost open. On the flat the bike runs OK up to 65 MPH with no issues riding double.
                                  Any Suggestions?
                                      Double 410

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine Backfires and Shuts Off
Reply #1 - 06/20/10 at 02:44:30

Try it w/ the petcock on Prime.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/20/10 at 04:56:21

And if that don't do it, check any fuel filter that mite be partially clogged.

I would not suspect the float level adjustment.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/20/10 at 02:44:30:
Try it w/ the petcock on Prime.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/20/10 at 08:13:08

Long uphill climbs with the throttle wide open will get the vacuum down to nothing.  Where a tiny leak in the vac hose will bite you in the ass.  Check the vac hose for loose ends or dry cracks.  Or just replace it.

WWW   IP Logged
double410
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/21/10 at 04:18:15

Hi Everyone:
      Thanks for the advise! I have been running the bike with the petcock on prime and my cutting out issue has been resolved. Woudn't you think if this is an issue with many of the bikes Suzuki would be on top of it and do a saftey recall and repair their problem? This is a safety issue when driving in traffic. Thank you for allowing me to join your web site. I enjoy reading the many comments.
                                   Double 410

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/21/10 at 04:27:12

double410 wrote on 06/21/10 at 04:18:15:
Hi Everyone:
      Thanks for the advise! I have been running the bike with the petcock on prime and my cutting out issue has been resolved. Woudn't you think if this is an issue with many of the bikes Suzuki would be on top of it and do a saftey recall and repair their problem? This is a safety issue when driving in traffic. Thank you for allowing me to join your web site. I enjoy reading the many comments.
                                   Double 410

Rubber hoses aging and cracking on bikes or cars is a normal "wear & tear" issue that should be checked/replaced as part of normal routine maintenance and that is our responsibility as owners/riders.
Safety ?  yes  ... but it is up to us to fix it

Welcome to the forum 410.  I trust you are enjoying the ride now that this issue has been taken care of.  This is a great bike...very usable and friendly

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/21/10 at 07:52:48

Do yourself a favor...if you haven't already replaced the vac line, buy a Raptor petcock and never have the problem again...

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/Criteria/5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw...

Remember to plug the vac port to the carb.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/21/10 at 08:08:26

Replace your fuel and vacuum lines. The factory ones are thin, you should run reinforced fuel line. I always ran dirt bike tank vent line when i had the stock tank and fuel valve, doesn't age out like the stock vacuum line, and can be somewhat color matched to your bike color.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 06/21/10 at 10:38:32

Every year I replace the vac line with a new piece of 1/4" black fuel hose from O'Reilly's regardless of the condition. It's cheap.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 06/21/10 at 11:01:44

Or go into the Tech Ref sectiona and read the manual petcock conversion thread.  ((Use the index sticky post at the top of the page)).

Cost me 23 cents to convert.  Another $3 to replace the back plate (the vacuum inlet plate) with a flat stock piece of aluminum for a nicer look and easier tank removal.  It's not quite as easy tank removal as the raptor , but it gives a little bit more reserve fuel than the raptor.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Backfires and Shuts Off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.