Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad Day North Of Houston (Read 214 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Bad Day North Of Houston
06/19/10 at 17:19:58

Did an oil change on Doc (my '97 Savage) today, my first.  Got everything apart OK.  Found no small O ring next to the filter.  Took a drive all the way across town to the only place that admitted to having one.  Got it all back together, everything tightened, and started an let it idle.  Did not see any problems.  Took off to make a little 3-4 mile run to see if there were any new leaks.  About a mile to 1 1/2 into it, I looked in the rear view and thought I saw smoke, so I pulled into a parking lot.  Smoke caught up to me and all the remaining oil pi$$ed out on the ground (about a quart).  called the wife to come get me.  She took me home so I could take the lid off the pickup bed and load up the ramps and go back up and get the bike, and haul it to my mechanic.

I figured I must have caught the large O ring when I put it back in, and it was snug enough to hold it when it was idleing, but when I started driving it must have blown it out.

My mechanic called and confirmed that the large O ring was crimped, and there are some additional leaks he is looking for.  He has pulled the tank to check for the cap/plug which was already identified for me, and any others he can find.  He is closed tomorrow and Monday, so he will call me Tuesday with what will probably be unpleasant news.

I'll see what he says, then decide if this is the beginning of a money pit, or a one time thing I caused that will be done with this one repair.

Wish me luck!!

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Re: Bad Day North Of Houston
Reply #1 - 06/19/10 at 18:36:43

sorry to hear that, hope nothing got majorly damaged.. ya gotta be careful when doing oil changes.. on your car too, pinched or double gaskets can cause a leak and your car/bike will be running with no oil.. not great for the engine..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/19/10 at 22:11:02

But wouldn't it have been easier to just run down there w/ an allen wrench, redo the o-ring a minute, dump in a qt of oil, and be done w/ it, rather than having to load it, take it to the mechanic, unload it, and now loose sleep as to how bad you are going to get ripped, especially if it wasn't leaking oil before you changed oil.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/20/10 at 02:47:36

Routy wrote on 06/19/10 at 22:11:02:
But wouldn't it have been easier to just run down there w/ an allen wrench, redo the o-ring a minute, dump in a qt of oil, and be done w/ it, rather than having to load it, take it to the mechanic, unload it, and now loose sleep as to how bad you are going to get ripped, especially if it wasn't leaking oil before you changed oil.

No, there were other leaks before.  Ralfguy & Earlytimz had already identified that in some earlier pic I posted.  I had been putting off doing anything about them.  This just kind of pushed it all to the Let's do it now list.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/22/10 at 17:50:35

Just got off the phone with my mechanic.  It was the Large O ring.  There was also the typical oil leak at the top, and another on around the shifter shaft.  Needs new brake pads in front, gonna have him do a valve adjustment while it's apart.  He is going to pull the rear brakes so he can clean all the oil off the shoes and drum.

Probably get it back by Friday

And, YES, I know that I should be able to do some of this myself, but I'm willing to admit I'm too old and too fat to be willing to be rolling around the driveway when it's 98 degrees and 85% humidity!

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/26/10 at 18:27:28

Got my Doc back.  And he runs GREAT Smiley

I think the valve adjustment did a lot of good.   I seem to have a lot more at the top end.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 06/28/10 at 13:08:47

Smiley

Yeah!!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 06/28/10 at 19:02:36

Good to hear you've got him back and running well again. Hope the shop didn't take you to the cleaners too badly. Must be nice having a shop that you feel comfortable with doing such work. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but if I feel that I am in over my head I don't know who I will call to bail me out  Embarrassed

Speaking of, I need to read up on that valve adjustment since I haven't done it and I don't know if it's been done yet (6100mi). Also better decide what I'm going to do to check the cam chain...for good measure. Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/28/10 at 19:07:14

pertty low miles for a cam chain. Might wanna get some kinda stethoscope lined u, tons of ways to fake it & start listening to the engines guts now, so when it starts making threatening sounds, youll know it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:34:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Day North Of Houston

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.