Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is the longest lasting tire? (Read 401 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
What is the longest lasting tire?
06/18/10 at 12:22:05

I am looking for some guidance on tires - my front is going to need to be replaced pretty soon - the rear was replaced last year...the bike has 7K miles on it.......I am not going to do much more than ride it to and from work 10 miles round trip a day....doubt i ever take off on a road trip.....what tire would give me the longest life under these scenarios?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: What is the longest lasting tire?
Reply #1 - 06/18/10 at 14:04:10

Most lasting miles?  Dark Side...  http://www.directbuytire.com/product-p/24200002.htm

Most motorcycle tire, probably a Metzeler.  I ride any time and want top traction -- wet, paint, steel, etc..

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/18/10 at 14:43:53

Best bet is the 66Route Pirelli for high mileage, handling, and smooth riding tire.Most tire stores have the ratings on tires 66 route the top rated.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/18/10 at 21:36:10

the metzlers
get new
rim liners and tubes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 06/18/10 at 23:25:17

I have 6000 + miles on my Goodyear radia T/A 155/80-15 car tire .   If you was to look real close you might notice the middle is beginning to wear, but at this rate it will last over 40,000 miles.

I realy like this tire it handles "GREAT".   that said ; unless you have taller rear shocks go for the 60 series ie (155/60-15).

I doin't know why the tire people cant make a bike tire that last 50,000 +  miles .  

Let us know what you get !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/19/10 at 00:41:51

Lomgest lasting tire, huhh? Well, whose baseball glove lasted longer than anyone elses, ever?

Lucy, on Charlie Brown.

Why, Why DID her glove last so long>?

Cuz that girl Never caught a ball, EV  Errr.

So, the longest lasting tire is the one that never wears out. Any tire brand can do that, just stop riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/19/10 at 01:37:12

Yeah Justin, except the answer has to be stated in miles, rather than years.

Paladin and MMRanch have given good darksider recommendations on long lasting rear tires and both mention you have to make some clearance in your wheel well if you go that route.

MMRanch's $66 Radial T/A recommendation requires less clearance to be made (less work to install the tire on the bike) so I'd go with his if I were doing it again.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+...

Cost per mile is a metric we rarely use in these discussions, although we did on one a while back and found that Metzers could last up to 18,000 miles on the back of a lightly used bike (but ran the risk of dry rot towards the end of that long life) and they cost about 0.62 cents a mile to do it.

Dunlops and Perellis would do like 9,000 miles or a bit more at about the same 0.62 cent cost per mile because the tires could be bought a good bit cheaper than a Metzler can be bought.   A point was made that a cheaper tire that wears out before it rots is a better thing than a very expensive tire that starts to rot before it wears out.

Darksider tires cost per mile was astronomically less than a motorcycle tire (0.14 cent a mile) and even the cheapest ones did not apparently dry rot in real use like a bike tire eventually does.   Not yet, anyway.

I have a approaching 4 year old Nankang (alias "Chungfooie") brand tire that is only about half worn out yet shows no signs of dry rot.   We will eventually see about total miles and rot and such, but it is taking sooooooo very long to do it it begins to get all boring to even talk about it.

And that is the final, most appealing thing about Darksider tires -- put one on the back of your bike and then NOT HAVE TO EVEN THINK ABOUT "TIRE" ANYTHING FOR LIKE 5 PLUS YEARS.  

Just consider that for moment -- no annual hassle buying, putting on, etc. etc.

That's nice ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #7 - 06/19/10 at 03:44:02

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/19/10 at 05:02:05

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090305054411AAN0e3o

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Some highly skilled, imaginative and knowledgeable youngsters on Yahoo-Answers, aren't they?    
(some seem to still be riding on their original bicycles .... )

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195891&page=2

seem to understand what they are doing a good bit better.   And maybe even actually own a motorcycle !!!

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

and here are folks that discuss mounting techniques and pressure levels and all the other technogook concerning car tires on motorcycles.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/19/10 at 05:06:33

I have do agree its a stupid thing to do don't do it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 06/19/10 at 08:08:32

Depending on the source, it seems most recommend tire replacement at no more than seven years, whether the tires are used on motorcycles, cars, RVs, or trucks. It is usually recommended that you do not buy a tire more than a couple of years old, because the seven year life starts the day the tire is manufactured, not the day it is mounted. Naturally enough, there are those who say tires last a lot longer and the seven year thing is a ploy by tire makers to sell more tires (just as the 3000 mile oil change is a ploy by oil makers and lube shops to get more money for unnecessary work).

I notice the linked videos are all of car tires running on motorcycles, and it seemed to me there was a good bit of tread lifting when the motorcycle leaned. I noticed a lack of videos showing motorcycle tires for comparison. Wonder why no before-and-after videos?

There seem to be a lot of comments about tire shops which will not mount car tires on motorcycles. Car tire makers recommend against it, and as far as I know so do motorcycle makers. Motorcycle magazines also seem to feel it is bad practice. There may be liability issues involved, but if so it coiuld be that real liability attaches to the practice. I wonder whether, in the event of a crash, the motorcyclist's insurance company would have grounds for denying or reducing coverage based on use of a non motorcycle rated tire?

Does anyone know what tires are used on the Can-Am Spyder? It is a trike which does not lean, so it would seem a natural place to use car tires. Car tires would also seem a natural for other trikes and for sidecar rigs.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/19/10 at 08:23:16

You bring up a valid question about the "unsafe" or "modified" motorcycle and fights over insurance coverage -- the answer lies with choppers, bobbers, street fighters, cafe racers and other heavily modified motorcycles (some with brakes removed from front ends, no turn signals, etc. etc. ) -- and of course the use of them nasty 'ol darksider tires on bikes falls in this arena as well.

Here's yer sign ....

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225895

Go to the place where darksider tires are more the norm now rather than the exception -- the Goldwing boys

============================================

Let's take it from the tire seller's perspective -- it is against the law now for him to sell or mount a tire that is not speed rated for the vehicle he is going to put it on.  

In such an environment would a normal car tire dealer mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim  ---  Hell NO !!!   He'd be scared silly of the idea as he lives in a litigation based world anyway.

Is it illegal for you to buy it and for you to mount it?   Nope.  Does it violate the law?  Nope.

And most Goldwing specialty shops WILL mount a correctly speed rated car tire on the rear of a Goldwing -- I find that informative, it is just a tire and it is covered by the same speed rating law so they'll mount it if it meets the required speed & load ratings.

There is no 155/80r15 or 160/80r15 tire that is rated for less than 2,000 lbs load at 120 mph  (the minimum car requirement).   Our stock bikes will do 85-90 mph tops and you and the bike weigh less than 700 pounds total, so I don't think you run afoul of the legal requirements, per se.

Now, each business can make up its own rules for what feel right to them.   Tire Rack always asks you what car you are buying a given tire for, as does WalMart.  

Both of them firmly expect you to say you are buying a new spare tire for your daughter's Volkswagen Beetle, 1962 year model because you checked her spare tire and it had dry rotted in the trunk over the years, so you need just one new tire for it.   There ain't no S40 or LS650 in their listing book anyway.

Grin   Grin   Grin

"Bad boys, bad boys, what'cha gonna do?  

What'cha gonna do when they come for you?"

If the law states "motor vehicle" you are golden, because you meet the load and speed requirements.  

If the law states "automobile" it does not apply to you anyway.

There is no law that says you have to put a "bike" tire on a bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/19/10 at 09:17:14

Its nice to know motorcycle tires and oil have come a long way since,On Any Sunday.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/19/10 at 09:50:10

Hey, O.F., what kinda clearancing needs done to get that VeeDub tire up under there? Just curious, of course. Id NEver go fishin for info on how to go Darkside,, nope,, not me, just Not that kinda guy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 06/19/10 at 09:55:51

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:22:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is the longest lasting tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.