No, I've fixed it  
  13 (11.2%)
No, but I get a poof, when turned off  
  19 (16.3%)

Total votes: 116
« Last Modified by: Tiefighterpilot on: 06/17/10 at 16:21:19 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Does your bike backfire (Read 1116 times)
RideNaked
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Does your bike backfire
Reply #15 - 06/20/10 at 01:02:46

So my bike started backfiring like crazy, even more than usual.  When I was trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed that one off the bolts that holds the exhaust to the header was missing and the other bolt was spun way out.   Not sure if that is the real problem as I just noticed and haven't been able to fix it yet.   Thought it was pretty crazy though, considering I just bought the bike a couple months ago and it was definitely all tight then.  And a couple weeks ago I had it inspected for damage by the local shop after getting bumped on the highway and they didn't say anything.   Some fast-acting bad vibrations I guess.  I have to say the 4 inch flame that shoots out is pretty sweet.   You guys think those bolts could have worked their way out like that so quickly...  Either way I'll be checking them regularly from now on...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/20/10 at 02:01:01

Mite want to check the peg bolts. Those blasted exhaust bolts seem to either get loose or sieze up. Kinda gotta watch those things. IIRC, I put antisieze on mine.
OHH yea, only torque them up cold. Be easy on them, its easier to tighten them up once in a while than repair threads or get a busted one out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 06/20/10 at 23:13:26

The 08 I sold this year sure does. The new owner and I went for a ride today. Whenever she shut the s40 down the we beastie let one off that would do a shot gun proud. Good time watching people's reactions.  Grin

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 06/21/10 at 08:49:35

Speed downshifting sounds like an M60 .30 caliber belt fed machine gun.

Regular up or downshifting can sound like a .22 or a .45...

Wind it up and key kill it? Ever heard a 155mm howitzer?

155/55 jets, fuel screw wherever it has vibrated to this time, header nuts vibrated loose (constantly) and a leaky glass pack muffler. Not as bad with secondary baffling welded into the fishtail tip.

If I pull the muffler and 29 inch tailpipe in favor of a turn down tip it will throw flames and blow holes in the yard... Grin

Living by a major Stryker base it makes for some interesting hit the decks...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #19 - 06/21/10 at 10:03:42

No poll choice fits.  Never backfires, no pop on decel, no poof on shutdown, no blue heat marks on the pipe and I didn't fix anything.  A previous owner may have though.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 06/21/10 at 10:35:13

Kinda astounding to me how many people have issues with loose nuts and bolts. I keep checking every nut and bolt I can reach, and even when the tank is off any bolt and nut I can see there, on the motor, head and exhaust. Never had anything go loose. And I had stuff apart several times. In 9,000 miles nothing. The only thing I can't check is the head bolts under the head cover. I don't have the balls to open that. I don't think those ever got re-torqued. But it runs fine and no leaks around the head gasket, so I just leave it alone.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #21 - 06/24/10 at 12:10:06

93 octane in the humid mid atlantic = shift/decel pops and off POW!.....if i lived in a bad neighborhood i bet i would have already had return fire from the local hoodlums!.....so far just a few annoyed looks the first few times I arrived home and it ripped off a loud one!......maybe i should put a little beano in the tank instead of sea foam?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
b-p-stewart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/24/10 at 20:50:07

Mine does on decel and sometimes when I first crank it up. I bothered me when I first started riding the Savage, but know I have grown used to it. It is kinda cool, a very different sound from my old Shadow! I am happy I made the switch from Honda to Suzuki also, the Savage is a much better bike. Faster and lighter! Easier to ride!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 06/26/10 at 06:17:15

If someone offered me an 1100 ACE for for my Savage... sayonara baby bike. An ACE with aftermarket "Indian" fenders is better than my all time favorite metric (1500 Drifter).

The Savage is a blended knock-off of several older English singles. Loose hardware is to be expected (so are oil leaks and electrical glitches). Just part of its charm.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #24 - 06/26/10 at 19:00:48

Yup, Snap crackle and POP and I love it. It's part of the bike's charm. I got a ride on a Suzuki C50 last year and it wouldn't backfire, thought something was wrong with the bike Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Garyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/26/10 at 19:10:04

It has always had a poof and sometimes a loud pow on shutdown. The last few days I have beem putting on half choke just as I shutdown and now nothing no poof no pow just stops.
Gary

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 06/26/10 at 19:41:29

It was warm this afternoon,....maybe even hot !
But I learned one thing for certain, my bike backfires much more positively on hot days. If I do it just right, it can be earthshattering ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
itsonlyme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/27/10 at 21:53:47

I am good to mine too and give it high octane gas everytime and it backfires occasionally on decel and always when i shut it down. i am learning to love it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/27/10 at 23:09:36

I get a sharp but not very loud pop sometimes when shifting at mid-rpms. A deep POOF on shutdown sometimes. I've got one of lancers cone filters and the air temp change between night and day sometimes causes a sharp backfire at night but it's not bad.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 06/28/10 at 06:40:46

Hey,....I put some higrade in it,....that maybe didn't completely fix it, but greatly improved upon it.
The only time it does it now is a nasty pop when shifting, (which I never heard before) an earthshattering blast when decelerating, and the normal pow-poof at shutdown ! Grin
So, don't forget to put hi octane fuel on your list of backfire remedies Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:16:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does your bike backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.