No, I've fixed it  
  13 (11.2%)
No, but I get a poof, when turned off  
  19 (16.3%)

Total votes: 116
« Last Modified by: Tiefighterpilot on: 06/17/10 at 16:21:19 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Does your bike backfire (Read 1116 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Does your bike backfire
06/17/10 at 16:20:31

I hear conflicting take on backfiring.  Some say thats the way it is.  Others say you can fix it.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
TommyRocket
YaBB Newbies

Northeast Pennsyltucky
Re: Does your bike backfire
Reply #1 - 06/17/10 at 19:34:40

I just put a DJ jet kit in my girlfriend's S40.

Bike was 100% stock. In very good tune - I adjusted the valves, decomp, new air filter, and put in a new plug before I played with the carb. It would backfire very often and with a loud backfire when shut off. Fuel screw had very little effect. Bike would still idle with it turned all the way in.

I went to a 47.5 non-bleed pilot. (I wanted a 50 but the 47.5 is still better than the 52.5 that was in it.) I installed the jets recommended by DynoJet. DJ140 main, DJ needle on the 4th clip.

Fuel screw 2 turns out and now it responds the way it should to adjustment. It rarely backfires when riding and just has a light "poof" when you shut it off. When it does backfire it is much quieter than it was.  Bike runs great and even starts quicker.

I'm sure this has already been discussed on here somewhere, but I'm new and like to learn the hard way. The taper on the DynoJet jet needle is almost identical to the stock jet needle. Shaving down the plastic spacer would have had the same effect as installing the new needle. I saw a member selling jet kits. I think it was Lancer. I should have bought one of his and save some cash.

PS - I'm at about 900' elevation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/17/10 at 19:51:02

If Bills bike could talk, it would complain about HIM backfiring.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/17/10 at 19:53:38

Mine rumbles & grumbles & sounds great, I think. Every once in a while itll give me a decent sized POW, but generally, it sounds like an old truck w/ a  glass pack & standard trans on decel,, just a low grumble with a few minor exclamation points.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/17/10 at 19:59:12

Rarely backfires on shutdown...usually only if it's cold (40 degrees). If I wind the throttle WAY out it pops between shifts otherwise if I'm gentle with it, it just growls (LOVE it). A mile high, open pipe, K&N drop in air filter, 52.5 w/bleed holes, 150 main, 2/3 spacer, airscrew out 2 turns...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 06/17/10 at 20:02:55

Mine did now and then. At times on shut down it had a lil bit of a pow yet  not very loud.
She has not had anything done to her jets yet nor her valves. That may change soon.  Wink

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 06/17/10 at 20:13:57

I love the backfire.  I like the close of the throttle that sounds like a Jake Brake.  When I was riding down following Wendy from Duarte to Gardena she was watched fire up the muffler on deacceleration.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 06/17/10 at 21:23:00

The poll doesn't have the choice for mine. It has never yet popped on shutdown, and only sometimes does it pop on deceleration. Exactly the same as my old Suzuki Tempter did, back in '83.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #8 - 06/18/10 at 03:36:18

Just a poof on shut down stock 07 only bike I have had or will have. Smiley

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 06/18/10 at 05:38:36

I love it when it rumbles!  I certainly wouldn't want to "fix" it.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/18/10 at 07:09:45

I do like the "pow" on shut down when I'm at work- the acoustics of the parking deck makes it sound like a Howitzer. I've only seen one guy hit the deck so far  Cheesy

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 06/18/10 at 07:11:12

Just a poof on shutoff. I can create a backfire by holding in the clutch and revving it up a few times while riding  then putting it back in gear...or sitting still in"N".
------------------------
Edit*
Update: based on what sjaskow has said
I do only use  93... Primarily from Shell
93 = a kind of sigh on shutoff and no pops on decel

« Last Edit: 06/19/10 at 14:12:17 by cursal »  

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #12 - 06/18/10 at 10:42:16

I've discovered how much mine backfires depends on the octane of the gas I put in it.  It works likes this:

87 = popping on decel and poofs on shutoff

89 = poofs on shutoff and a pop on decel every once in a while

93 = a kind of sigh on shutoff and no pops on decel

My bike is an '06 with almost 11,000 miles and is still 100% stock on the carb and exhaust set up.  The gas I use is almost always Marathon.  I very occasionally use Shell but when I do it's their 93 octane stuff at the beginning of the spring.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 06/18/10 at 10:48:48

I get a poof on shutdown and the rumbles on decel, with kerpows when it goes down to between 3,000-3,200 rpm. This RPM range is almost guaranteed to create a kerpow, not above and not below that. I don't know why it is like that. At night you can see blue flames coming out of the pipe in unison with the rumbling, and when the ~3,000 rpm kerpow occurs, there's a blue flame coming out about 6 inches long. It constantly changes during the day on what it does. I can have days where it doesn't kerpow at all, no matter what. Next day it's back with a vengance. Some days there's not even the poof on shutdown. And I didn't change anything at all.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 06/19/10 at 05:33:49

I know,.....it almost a big letdown when I get all prepared for the "big one",......and for some reason it doesn't ! Angry

I think humidity plays a big part it that,.....but I'm not sure.
I've never tried different octane.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does your bike backfire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.