babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Riding in gravel
06/15/10 at 08:13:49

Ok, I am petrified of riding on gravel.  I know there are plenty of you who do it with no problem.  
I know you shouldn't make sudden/sharp turns, and don't use the front brake, but what other tips can you offer?  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Riding in gravel
Reply #1 - 06/15/10 at 08:48:28

wear leathers... Wink

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 06/15/10 at 09:05:55

And you should be concerned with gravel BH, its dangerous. I kind of roll through it. Along with potholes, and bad intersections, I also memorize areas with gravel. I can think of 2 spots in tight turns, on my regular ride that have enough gravel to take me down. Cruise slow, and don't lean too much. You're right about not hitting the brakes too hard. I just slow down before the gravel to coast through it.

FSO
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/15/10 at 09:15:50

One of my favorite rides out here is a twisty turny road up through a canyon 5 miles from my work. In Colorado they don't use salt on the roads they mostly use sand and gravel.
It's almost worse than riding on a completely gravel road cuz it acts like ball bearings on pavement. Come spring you have to be ready in turns for all the gravel and sand to knock you down...so I ride really careful until the stuff is gone...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/15/10 at 09:22:22

Paved roads are just another waste of taxpayer dollars.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/15/10 at 10:06:47

Not sure if you mean gravel on a paved road, or gravel roads.  As others have pointed out, big difference.  Gravel on a paved road is more dangerous than a gravel road.

I'm trying to cure myself of the habit of going down every "un paved" road I might see.  To me, it's fun!! but the bike hates it after a while.  I have busted a muffler mount, loosened many a bolt and nut, lost my gremlin bell, chipped a fork, grooved a tire (rock up in the fender.. grind!!), etc, etc.
With that said.. darn if I still don't just go out there and do it.

As you surmised, corners are the most interesting.  What I try to look for is a groove made by truck tires that I can plant the front wheel in to act as a mini-bank for the corner.  Sometimes, the edge of the road (or the middle) has a nice ridge that I can use.  No, it won't save your bacon (sorry) if the ridge/groove gives way and the tire slides off, but it can be a help.
Try to stay in the tire tracks or where there is the minimum of loose stuff.  If you need to cross from one tire track to the other to setup for the next turn, do it easy and don't try to turn as you go across, lots of loose stuff in the middle.
You need to plan further ahead than normal.
Keep it SLOW!  or put knobby tires on..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/15/10 at 10:12:18

Years ago I seen a kid I know going down a paved road with fresh pea gravel on it at 100 mph with his feet on the hand bars. He was only 19 years old.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/15/10 at 10:13:04

Keep your arms loose and relaxed,... allow the handlebars to self correct.
The centrifugal force of the turning wheels wants to keep the bike upright and forward moving,... relaxing your arms lets that happen...
Also,... if you start to wash out in a deep pocket, don't slow down,... gas it a little,... this too, will increase the centrifuge action of the wheels and lift the bike to vertical...

EDIT... I meant gyroscopic force not centrifugal...  That's the force that lets you ride with your feet up...
Ever try to keep your feet up at a traffic light?... very tricky!...
'Cause your gyroscopes aren't turning Wink...

May the force be with you... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 06/15/10 at 10:36:35

Good point about keeping the arms relaxed...best tip I've heard from a sport biker is to squeeze the tank with your knees, it forces your shoulders and arms to relax...apparently they do that a lot on sport bikes to get out of a tank slapper (bars wobbling back and forth).

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/15/10 at 11:02:49

I bit it once on just a slight bit of loose gravel going up a driveway--I made the mistake of gripping the front brake. Down I went. (Only time ever, so far.....) And I almost bit it going slow around a corner--it had rained earlier, road was still damp. I hit one of those painted turn arrows--front tire went out like I was on ice. Somehow I managed to stay upright.
Stay alert, slow down on turns, plan ahead.  Be safe.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 06/15/10 at 11:13:21

Very nice!  Thank you all for thoughtful, "real" tips.  And youzguyz, I was meaning gravel roads, not gravel on a paved road.
I try to avoid gravel altogether, but I also know that at some point, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Memorial Day weekend, when we went to my husband's dad's cemetary, I forgot that the turnoff included about 20 feet of gravel to cross.  This is coming off a main road, 55mph, in a curve... and uphill! Between the main road and the paved cemetary road was the gravel.  I'm about to pee my pants.  But he told me to slow down enough to coast across it (thank goodness for our headsets, he "walked" me through it before I crossed it).  I did fine, but I admit I was trembling.  Coming down was no great fun either!  
So I know things like this will happen.  Can't avoid everything forever.  I avoided stoplights on uphills for a long time, until I finally got comfortable with it.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #11 - 06/15/10 at 11:17:16

A few thoughts jump to mind:
Smoooooth
Relax
Don't
ATGATT

And if that doesn't work:
Speed Dial
I want a new MC
médico

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #12 - 06/15/10 at 11:30:56

My driveway is about 250' of gravel. I don't even pay it no mind. My advice is to just relax, take your time & don't think on it too hard. Your tires will wander a little on gravel (especially the front) so slow down and go with the flow.

Around here you gotta really watch out for gravel washed out into the road from peoples driveways. I can think of 2 near my house that are in terrible locations, right in a curve. Normal cage traffic usually leaves a couple of clear tracks through the gravel but when you're not familiar with a road it can be terrifying. Look ahead & never turn your scanner off!

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #13 - 06/15/10 at 14:19:18

Piglet, I don't like gravel either.  I would rather ride across any other surface than gravel with the exception of snow or ice..
Now if your talking of packed gravel or loose gravel their again are 2 different riding surfaces.

I find a slow steady pace as well as not using the front break helps one to avoid being toppled.

Maybe you can go back to that section of road and practice your technique as sounds like you handled it well with the hubby's instructions.  Smiley

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #14 - 06/15/10 at 20:06:11

1+ Quote:
wear leathers

knew a guy that came to visit me when I wasn't home on my gravel road.  I came home to a note "cleaned myself up" and my towel drenched in blood.  He was wearing shorts.  Not wearing protection is asking for injury..  

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:19:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in gravel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.