Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Riding in gravel
Reply #15 - 07/05/10 at 21:11:44

babyhog wrote on 06/15/10 at 08:13:49:
Ok, I am petrified of riding on gravel.  I know there are plenty of you who do it with no problem.  
I know you shouldn't make sudden/sharp turns, and don't use the front brake, but what other tips can you offer?  

Baby,

Don't forget to give your drive belt a once over after every significant foray onto gravel.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #16 - 07/05/10 at 21:17:27

Good call... I dug a rock outta my belt when I brought it home. It was wedged in & put a hole plum through it. Doesn't seem to be a problem though

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/05/10 at 21:38:43

The gripping the tank tip is definitely a good one when your in the twistys really connecting you to your machine but riding on gravel I've always taken the route of letting the bike do what it going to do anyways,  the key is you can't fight it  stay slow and loose and use your eyes at all times.  

When I was 17 I got my first bike a Suzuki GSX-R 750 absolutely crazy I know and to make things worse I grew up in Muskoka, Ontario tons of snow and buckets of sand and salt for months into the riding season and I lived in the boonies on an unpaved road, I rode that piece of road everyday actually put 30,000 Km's on the bike my first season but I still haven't ever been down (knock on wood) I'm 29 now but I have to say that my first 3 years of riding that ridiculous, amazing, exhilarating machine was the best training I could have ever had.   The only thing that will make you comfortable with anything you could encounter is by having already done it.  Just my 2 cents.

And the last thing yes always wear your protection and I mean jacket and chaps if you got em too ... Road rash is sometimes much worse than the impact of a slow wipe out on rough terrain.   Protect your largest organ.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #18 - 07/06/10 at 04:25:44

The "town" I live in has all gravel roads, so once I turn off the hwy I dont have much choice.  I keep the speed sloooooow, and in fact rarely even let the clutch all the way out when Im in 1st gear, partly because our house is downhill from where I come into town.  You have to let the bike shimmy a bit, its almost impossible to keep the front end/handlebars from wiggling.  Dont know that I'd want to ride any distance on gravel though, I'd think it would wear you out.  Both in terms of physically tiring and stressfull.  

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/06/10 at 05:43:46

Our driveway is gravel & has washes across it, lumps of gravle, generally, not a safe ride & its pretty seriously sloped up to the road. Stay loose on the handlebars, feet on pegs. Trust me, if the rear shifts right, youll shove your rear end over to keep it upright. As long as you arent being a goon( turning too hard) or hitting thre front brake the front will track along.

Now, Sand,,theres a fun subject. I had a kawa 750 I took out into the dirt roads of west texas. Ive been stuck, with cows in the road. If you think they ignore a car horn, just try to make them move with a bike horn. Anyway, if you come to a long patch of sand, slow down before you get to it & lean back & gently dial on the beans. Itll hold the front tire out of it a bit & make it a lot easier to handle. I came out of 1 patch of sand running near 70, but it was tracking okay. When the front tire settles into it, its no longer stable. The Savage has a better h4ead angle tho & is more likely to track straight, I think.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/09/10 at 06:41:47

Gravel can be really fun, or suck really bad.  My driveway is gravel and im so used to it Im almost never going straight on it. sometimes I hit full steering lock.  

But just the other day I lowsided in a parkinglot because of these tiny rocks I couldnt even see.

Here is a video I made yesterday testing out a camera mount I made.  I went slow to make sure the camera was gonna stay put.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbbewiW4Ag

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:09:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding in gravel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.