Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
homemade air intake (Read 1784 times)
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
homemade air intake
06/13/10 at 22:31:28

Message sent 12-3-12 and on 1-3-13

I got a new Lancer Mikuni VM 36 carb.  I wanted to keep the stock battery, but didn't want to keep the stock airbox.  Here's how I did it.  

First off, I have to tip my hat to Lancer, he put a lot of effort into getting this carb all put together for me.  He installed the Dial-a-Jet, UFO, throttle cable, and soldered the pilot jet for me.  He even slipped in a new spark plug and deep well float bowl nut without charging me.  (did you know you did that??? thanks!)

Of course his packing materials were interesting, he must have access to healthcare supplies.  I don't even know what they are called, but I know how they are used.  That made me laugh.

I had already removed the airbox and untaped and moved around and retaped all the wires under the seat.  I even put in a charger for my cell phone.  The CDI got mounted to the bottom of the seat and that went pretty easy.  {I don't have a picture right now, will post one later}

Then it was off to the hardware store with the air filter in hand to find some weird combination of things that served my purposes.  I wanted to get over the battery box and drop the filter in the triangle shaped space where the airbox used to be.  

Surprisingly 2" PVC is almost and exact fit!  So I got a 90 degree street elbow and a foot of the thin PVC.  There's schedule 40 and then there's the thinner kind which would give more air flow.   Here's what the "thinner type" looks like.

A street elbow has one male and one female side.  The male fits right into the filter (slightly loose, but not after you tighten a hose clamp on it) and in the female side, the straight pipe goes.  

I searched for something to connect the other male end of the straight pipe to the carb.  I found a few different things, but I liked this best.  It's a no hub coupling.  Basically it's a rubber gasket with metal around it and two hose clamps riveted in place.  And it looks cool too.  

I also needed a breather filter and spray paint.  Kryon Fusion is about the only way to go for PVC, everything else comes off.  

So I cut it to the right size, and used regular pvc primer and glue to put the one male/female fitting together.  

grind off all the markings and bumps and such, sand it (I did 100 grit, then 220, that's what I had around), and washed it with some dawn, (my hand were pretty dirty at that point), painted it and waited an hour before playing with it again.  

Not the prettiest, but functional.  

The fit of the coupling took a bit of figuring out.  It is a really tight fit, really tight.  (someone's going to quote that and comment  Wink )  So it took me a while, but here's what I did.  

First I cut out the divider on the inside.  It is right in the middle and the coupling doesn't go that far on to the carb.  I wanted the pvc to mesh right up to the carb underneath the couping.  

Then I finally realized that the rubber is only so tight because of the metal around it.  So I took that off, put on the rubber fitting, and then opened the metal really wide and slid that on.  Here's an example before I painted it.

The rest of the process was simply fitting everything in.  I had to push up the metal tab holding that electronic box thing under the gas tank to route the new throttle cable.  And I had to find a new home for the little box.  

The breather tube and the new breather filter were the same size, so I found a piece of hard plastic tubing (it was actually the handle on an old bottle, and that was a perfect fit).  

And so here's what it looks like from a few different angles.  

The cost was about $25 bucks for the air intake.  I suppose if you found the right size hose instead of the coupling I used, you could do it for under $20.

I'm working on tuning it right now.  It's mostly there.  

I welcome any comments or suggestions for improvement.  

« Last Edit: 01/03/13 at 10:18:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: homemade air intake
Reply #1 - 06/13/10 at 22:53:32

most say to mount the breather filter up high so that the oil has a chance to run back into the engine.  but in your case I would just mount it next to the air filter.  any dripping will not be an appearance location.  and I'd paint the coupling black to match so it don't look like you do all your shopping at home depot.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 06/14/10 at 08:15:20

The previous owner put this setup on my bike and I like how he did the breather tube, but I think I will swap the air filter for the cone type as well. If I put a cone right where he put this filter mine will be setup almost the same as yours.

Anyways, I like what you did & love it when I see people having to be creative to get the job accomplished.

« Last Edit: 12/19/12 at 09:55:59 by EJID »  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #3 - 06/15/10 at 18:23:27

I got it better tuned, I still need to mess with the main jet a bit more, but it's mostly done.  I have to say, this bike is a rocket now.  I was doing 80 and didn't even know it until I looked down.  I had tons of speed left, and previously 75-80 was pretty much the upper limit, especially in wind.  

For the sake of others who might do similar mods, here are the various carb settings I have found to work.  It's the Mikuni VM 36 from Lancer with a UFO and Dial-a-Jet.  I have an off-brand HD style muffler (that's pretty much wide open), with stock header, a 5 inch or so piece of tail pipe in between the two, with a baffle in that section (the muffler by it self was too loud for what I wanted) and I've ground out the ring in the exhaust port.  Also, you can see pictures of the air intake I have above.  

So the needle jet and jet needle sizes are elsewhere on this forum, they are the standard ones Lancer puts on his carbs.  I turned the air screw is out 1 1/2 turns.  The pilot jet was already soldered by Lancer.  The needle clip was on the second setting, but it hesitated midrange, so I moved it up to the first setting and it works great there.    

I have the DAJ in the middle setting and the main jet is #200.  I think that is too high and I am adjusting it downward.  Lancer stared off with the #165 and that had major problems and accelerated hard in the roll-off test.  Of course nothing else was really adjusted right at that time.  So I tried #190 and #200, I couldn't tell any difference.  With the DAJ, I suppose the method is to use the smallest main jet you can that still gives you good top end.  

A question for those who know: it's pretty obvious to me that the #165 was too lean with the roll-off test, but how do you tell if the main jet is too rich?  #190 and #200 I really couldn't tell much difference, but maybe I don't know what to look for.  

IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #4 - 06/15/10 at 21:45:25

Update after a few off again and on agains with the float bowl:

I had a #200 and thought it was too rich.  So I dropped down to 180, that was way too lean, failed the roll off test.  #190 did better, but still failed.

#195 passed the roll off test, but there is a huge hesitation for instance when I am going 25 and then go straight to WOT.  It hesitates and then shoots off like a rocket.

So I tried #200 again to compare.  It still does the hesitation, but not as bad.  Passes the roll off test.  I feel like it accelerates faster, but that's too subjective to really go off of.  

Only difference with the roll off between #195 and #200, is the 195 seems nether to accelerate or decelerate going from WOT to 7/8, but 200 decelerates from WOT to 7/8 (or rather I mean it accelerates less at 7/8).  

So I'm curious what you guys think.  Is #200 the best main jet from that description?  It is the biggest one I have, otherwise I would try larger ones to see the difference.

I also wonder if the initial hesitation has to do with the DAJ catching up?  Perhaps that check valve on their website would help with that????

I'll start comparing fuel mileage between #200 and #195 later this week.  I might even go shopping for a few bigger jets to compare.  

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/02/11 at 10:56:37

It should hesitate because you have no accelerator pump. You have effectively made the carb throat longer, like an S&S super B. They have issues when you slam the throttle wide open. You have to roll it some then whack'er open. Amal carbs used to do the same thing. You also need to look at your exhaust too. Intake charges are effected by the exhaust pulse also. You need to find a balance that will minimize the stumble you are finding....On sportsters, I play with exhaust length for optimal max power with the broadest power band with open pipes (sometimes with baffles) is 32"-38". You will also need to play with your timing some since you have changed the characteristics of performance. You may also keep in mind that if your repeated attempts to tune it come up in between 'optimal', tune it without the air filter and see what happens. You may very well need a filter with more surface area since you effectively now have a velocity stack. I wonder how one of these would react to a jetted down CV carb off of an 883.........Good job, I like it very much.

IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #6 - 06/26/11 at 17:39:45

UPDATE FROM A YEAR LATER:

The black paint has come off in a few places, and is all sticky in the two places that were under rubber (air filter and coupler).  So I'm looking for the same thing with black ABS, but they don't sell ABS around here, I guess it is not code in Nebraska.  So black duct tape is working for now.  

I also (early on) remounted the breather filter up in the front and higher, since I was getting lots of oil everywhere.  

I ended up settling with a 195, it seems the best.  There is still a hesitation when I am going slower and then go straight to WOT, but how often do I really need to do that?  

When this battery goes bad, I'm thinking of getting a smaller battery and relocating it to where Lancer did on Rex and doing something different with the air filter/intake.  Maybe that will fix the hesitation like the comment above mentioned, but it's not really that bad now that I have gotten used to it.  

I was going to check and report my mpg on my last trip (mostly going 80 mph on I-80 in Western Nebraska), but I forgot, sorry.  It wasn't good though.  I had to stop every 90 miles or so.

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #7 - 12/18/12 at 13:32:34

Nice info but ALL the pics are NOT there!!

google search says these are on facebook-v1

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 01/02/13 at 19:17:59

Yeah, bummer.  No pics.  Dang it!

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #9 - 01/18/13 at 13:03:56

Looks nice...all but one of the pics are not there......any chance of getting some more pics? What is that black rubber coupling going from the carb to the PVC elbow?

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Royal Yar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/29/15 at 18:28:19

I am looking to do the same set up for my 97 savage. The pictures on your page did not load for me, but others on this thread did. Would you mind emailing your original post to me? I would appreciate it man! irishyar26@yahoo.com

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/29/15 at 18:51:39

hasn't been here in 2 years so you're not likely to get an answer.

WWW   IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/09/16 at 09:39:54

Verslagen1.....That is too bad looks to be a good how-to thread. I can't see any of the pics either..

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 07:20:12

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › homemade air intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.