Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
STURGIS 2011 (Read 253 times)
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

STURGIS 2011
06/13/10 at 05:39:53

Hi all, My wife and I are wanting to do Sturgis 2011 and thought what better place to ask about accom and bike hire etc. We did Daytona last year and made a couple of mistakes, like use the hotel phone to ring home (UK) 20 mins for about $300. Yep $300.
Anyway Im over that now and having just got home from the Isle of Man TT week Im planning ahead. So good cheap accom not too far from the action and info on bike hire please.
Thanks

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: STURGIS 2011
Reply #1 - 06/13/10 at 06:44:09

Isle of Man, thats my dream trip. Hope you got some pics. Please tell us more. Sorry cant help you with Sturgis. Was going to Sturgis a few years ago and 2 weeks before we were leaving my riding partner hit a deer and got messed up pretty bad. Didnt get to go. My baby brother goes to Sturgis every year and he ships his camping gear UPS to a campground the week before. He has reservations at the campground and when he gets there his camping gear is waiting. The campground owner ships his gear back home, pretty neat idea.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/13/10 at 07:23:04

Photos? Hundreds. PM me your email address and ill send some. The races are amazing. New lap record this year and averaging 130 plus. That may not sound much to you BUSA boys but you need to see the roads. You need to be a real race fan to go from the US and you need to be up early to get the best vantage points. Its a lot less in your face than Daytona and there is no comparison really other than like minded people enjoying themselves. I was most impressed with the 0 cartage. That's 0 emissions, electric bikes? No I'm not an eco warrior. These bikes average a lap speed of just off the ton and a top speed of 140 MPH . Anyway I'm happy to give advice to anyone thinking of going. If anyone else wants photos once I'm sorted ill post them.
Cheers

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/13/10 at 13:10:34

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 06/13/10 at 07:23:04:
Photos? Hundreds. PM me your email address and ill send some. The races are amazing. New lap record this year and averaging 130 plus. That may not sound much to you BUSA boys but you need to see the roads. You need to be a real race fan to go from the US and you need to be up early to get the best vantage points. Its a lot less in your face than Daytona and there is no comparison really other than like minded people enjoying themselves. I was most impressed with the 0 cartage. That's 0 emissions, electric bikes? No I'm not an eco warrior. These bikes average a lap speed of just off the ton and a top speed of 140 MPH . Anyway I'm happy to give advice to anyone thinking of going. If anyone else wants photos once I'm sorted ill post them.
Cheers

Hi mate I am a fellow limey, I went to the IOM 3 years in a row ,my Dad was a pit mechanic for a guy who rode for AJS 7R,it was the years Geoff Duke was winning everything with his team mate Arty Bell,
both on works Nortons,you can post pictures right here on this site.
Why on earth would you want to take your wife to Sturgis ?
most people that go there are riding HDs all it really is is a big drink fest,I wouldn't go there for free with a sweet at the "No Tell Motel"
It's a dump, most of the guys are pigs,be nice to your wife don't go.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 06/13/10 at 15:45:00

I beg to differ with you yet again MICK.

I was in Sturgis in 2008 with my Wife and Dad. It is VERY family friendly and well organized and safe. If you want trouble there are places for that, but they are all fenced in and out of the city limits. I have also been before and after Sturgis SEVERAL times over the years and NEVER once had a problem with any one or anything. The place is NOT a dump, it is just a small town. Besides mostly now its is the Black Hills Rally, not so much just Sturgis anymore.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 06/13/10 at 22:47:50

couple of pics from Sturges.

yes sir! real family orented.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #6 - 06/13/10 at 22:59:23

Well, why yes dear, I am a naughty boy, so I'll see you in your room right away......

Mick, I just love that second picture....... Wink Wink

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 06/13/10 at 23:41:40

Don't take Mick to heart.. he hates everything... don't know WHO your hanging with but I go every year and always have a great time!!! Meet tons of great people who would give the shirts off there backs.  Just stand your ground and people will resepect you!   No disrespect to you Mick!  Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 06/14/10 at 07:29:44

Hmm well that's funny, I can go into the local bike night photo gallery here and find those EXACT same shirts on people so yet again your point is worthless. Hell that top pic is at least 10+ years old any how. So unless you've been in the past 5 or so years like I have, shove it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/14/10 at 11:30:06

While I appreciate any advice, advice from someone who hasn't been is no advice at all. I find both T-shirts very funny. It takes all sorts I suppose. I went to Daytona last year and loved it, so lets not start a debate on weather I should or should not go. We will be going so any sound advice would be appreciated. Mick, there were loads of Harleys, pissing up and offensive T-shirts at the TT.  

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 06/14/10 at 11:55:13

I'm going to send you a PM.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 06/14/10 at 12:04:33

the number one reason I never went to sturgis is because I hate crowds ,that is why I rode a motor cycle,and I allways rode alone.
that is why most bikes only have one seat,or one and a half. Besides as people on this forum esspecialy newbees ,will tell you I am hated .
The whole nature of a motorcycle is to be alone,not standing around admiring each others chrome. I will allways stop and render aid to any one who needs it , other than that leave me the f*ck alone.
I cant ride any more so I drive a two seater car,the right seat for luggage.
As for sturgis enjoy your stay, but I have heard from many people the place smells like urine for weeks after the big event.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #12 - 06/14/10 at 12:08:37

I've heard many people say the moon is made out of cheese. Yet I haven't been myself so I can't really say.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 06/14/10 at 13:05:04

Yes, Mick, we all know you are an a$$hole, that's why we love you.  

You do hear lots of bad stuff about Sturgis, and the reality show they did (can't put my finger on the name of it now) didn't do much to help the image.  But Savage_Amusement, you have helped, IMO.  I might actually put some thought into making that trip someday!  Its too far a ride for me, but Midnight's idea of shipping the camping gear sounds too fabulous!  What a great idea!  

So Knock, do you want 5-star?  Or you wanna rough it?  Or somewhere in between?  Somebody please give the man some constructive ideas......

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/14/10 at 13:43:25

Good clean accon $60-100 ish. The nearest airport and where I can hire a bike for the week. Mick you need to chill. If you cant ride try a trike. Dont care what the place smells like after the party, I wont be there Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 22:44:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › STURGIS 2011

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.