Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm thinking of buying an S40. Questions. (Read 157 times)
Rick540
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I'm thinking of buying an S40. Questions.
06/10/10 at 20:58:15

What's up. New user here. Started riding about 4 years ago on a GZ250 but I was fat as hell at the time and it was way too underpowered. I ended up getting a Honda Shadow 750 and rode that for a couple years until some financial problems forced me to sell it. I haven't ridden in about two years but want to get back in the saddle.

Even though the 250 was very underpowered, I really loved how light and agile it was. The 750 wasn't necessarily too big and it definitely had enough power, but another nice used Shadow is out of my budget. I could probably afford one (my budget is around 4000) but that wouldn't leave much for accessories. Plus, even when I did have the 750 I mostly just putted around town and rarely went faster than 45 MPH anyway.

Long story short, I'm thinking about buying an S40. I like the looks of them and I sat on one at the dealer today and besides the pegs being a little cramped I loved it. Nice and light like the GZ250 and even though I've never rode one, I assume they have decent power. FWIW, I've lost 80 pounds and  since owning the GZ250 a few years ago so I think it would pull me around just fine. I was 305 and now I'm 225. Still have 25 to go but I'm gettin' there...

So my questions are this...

My question is are these reliable bikes? Any common problems I should be aware of?

Any way to make these bikes not sound like a lawn mower? Clearly these aren't V-twin motors but all the YouTube videos I've seen of them sound like lawn mowers. I don't necessarily want the exhaust to be louder than stock since I'm not a fan of loud pipes, just some way to make it not sound so much like a lawn mower. I noticed Jardine sells a set of slip-ons that  go into a dual exhaust but I'm wondering if that would effect the lawn mower sound or just make it louder.

Is the stock seat comfortable? The GZ250 seat was TERRIBLE. If not, are there any aftermarket seats for the S40?

Thanks for any info. Sorry for the wall of text..  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I'm thinking of buying an S40. Questions.
Reply #1 - 06/10/10 at 22:12:00

Good post rick, you clearly explained where you're at and where you want to go.

I'm 6' 240# and I love it.  4000, you can just about get a new one.  The bike runs out of breath somewhere over 80, but until then you better hang on.  Seat comfort varies for different people, we have many mod's for it.  Many ways to skin a cat.  Some even say it's fine the way it is.  There's extended control to stretch your legs out with and the bars are the same size as harley's so go find yourself one.  Just make sure he ain't looking.   Huh

If you're near anyone, check the savage rider map, I'm sure you can get some personal advice and a sit from our long timers.

And I'd say it's pretty reliable.  I've had 2, both started with around 15k miles.  1st one is at 45k and I'm gonna replace the cam chain and some other stuff.  2nd at 30k, and still ticking.  Fairly easy to work on, if you ever worked on a Vdub, it's just like that only better.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/10/10 at 22:18:15

They're generally reliable. One issue is the cam chain tensioner. If left unattended for long enough the tensioner housing will seperate and release a spring to get chewed up in the innards of the engine as well as throwing the timing way off and potentially setting piston and valve up on a blind date. The fix is available here on the forum for about $100 from verslagen. Installation is very easy. Other than that the carb setup from the factory is lean. it will run much better if you switch out the jets and lower the needle. What jets you should switch to and how much to lower the needle entirely depends on your individual machine, altitude, and whether or not you've made any mods to the intake/exhaust. The idle speed NEEDS to be at 1000-1200rpm or you'll starve the head for oil due to low oil pressure from the mechanical pump. Other than these 3 issues it is a very reliable bike.
As far as the lawnmower sound...a lot of people install exhausts from harley sportsters and dynas with good results. Jardine makes a bolt on muffler. Raask makes an entire performance exhaust. You can also drill some holes through the stock baffling.
The stock seat is...tolerable. You'll be ready to rest by the time you hit reserve. Corbin makes a seat for the savage. Some have adapted sportster seats, spring seats, and some have cut the stock seat foam down into a more comfortable shape (diamond jim seat mod).
Id recommend finding yourself a decent used model which are readily available for $2k or less and use the rest of your budget for customizing, general fixing (depending on the condition of the particular bike you buy) or something else entirely.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/11/10 at 02:39:53

Just wanted to add a little to the already mentioned exhaust carb/issues.  The stock muffler does make the bike sound like a sewing machine and changing that out for a very reasonably priced sportster/dyna muffler will give the bike a really nice sound along with better air flow.  
The factory does jet the carb very lean to start with, and when changing the muffler, like with an HD muffler, the increased air flow will lean the fuel/air mix more; so a rejetting/tuning of the carb should be done.  This will aid engine cooling and improve overall engine efficiency considerably and add a nice bit of power.
There are Savage/S40's that have had a muffler change and a well executed rejet/tune of the carb and the result is a bike that will run very well, sound great, and have good power all the way to a top end well into the 90+ mph range.
My son recently purchased an '07 S40 which is stock except for a muffler change and rejetted carb and it runs great, sounds great and tops at 94 mph with me sitting straight up.  I am a weight watcher also and am in the 194 lb range currently...shooting for 165.

By the way, a new "take off" HD muffler, new muffler clamp, jets for rejetting the carb, and header gasket can all be had for less than a $100 so making the change is pretty cheap...just involves a little quality time for you and your new bike.
And like mentioned, there are really good used bikes with very low miles to be found for $2-2500.  This bike is a good deal and a great ride.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/11/10 at 06:02:14

You can handle it & it'll handle you, just fine. So, run on out & Get One, today..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #5 - 06/11/10 at 07:00:22

Good bike.. easy maintenance only a single cylinder and belt drive.. fun to drive good handling.. decent low end power.. much better than a 250.. not as good as comparable similar displacement v-twins, but makes up for that in the fact it's much lighter than similar v-twins.. the HD exhaust is probly what you need for a better sound without being too much louder.. I have the jardine, love it, but it's very loud unless i'm very easy on the throttle(when passing cops).. I like loud though, keeps me safe.. and visible(audible).. not alot of aftermarket accessories designed specifically for the savage.. but lots of modders on this forum that have come up with creative solutions.. many of the accessories for the other boulevards will fit the savage and people on here make accessories for it they sell like forward controls.. lots of how to's on here..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 06/11/10 at 07:20:17

Have you test ridden one yet? That will hook you like it did me for sure. I sat on one at the motorcycle show. That really got me thinking of getting rid of my Rebel 250. I  bought the S-40 and have not regretted that decision.
Their are many on here that have made modifications and give the best advice on that as well as mechanical problems.. Go get it and get riding.. Wink  Kim

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #7 - 06/11/10 at 07:30:43

Just playing the Devil's advocate here. You're getting all the Pro's but there are some Con's too...

$3- $4000 will buy a lot of good, but different bikes. Craigslist is full of them for that price around here. The Savage is very simple and dependable. No doubt it's a good choice, but not necessarily the best choice for everyone. It'll have no problem pulling you, I'm 205 right now and it scoots! The smaller Hondas are kinda known to be a little on the puny side for performance, so the Savage should feel very similar. Pound for pound, you won't find a better bike for the money. A good used Savage can be had for $2000 or less & that leaves room for plenty of modifications. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with doing mods. The info and friendly folks here will help you through them no problem.

The Savage is on the small side and feels cramped, in my opinion. Forward controls will help you stretch out, but that don't make the bike any bigger. The factory seat is awful. It leans you forward and crowds the "boys" if you know what I mean. For bigger guys like you and me, a seat mod is definitely required but luckily there are several mods to choose from. I don't have it, but I think the Sportster seat looks killer on them.

After riding several different bikes, I would compare the Savage ride to a hopped up VW beetle. Lightweight, quick, no frills with an old-school mechanical kinda clunky-ness. Very agile and fun to drive, but not something I'd wanna take on a long trip. Sure, some people have done it but only the real troopers. Your old Honda was probably more like a... well, a honda car. A little smoother, more room, a little fancier... but definitely not a Cadillac. For $3-$4k, I'd personally buy a good used V-star. That's about the going price for them around here, but then again you don't leave any room for mods or additional comforts. The good thing about buying used is most of the common mods and additions have already been added. Same goes for the Savage only you'll get a lot of bike for about half the $$$, which goes a long way in my book! I completely understand the financial situation!

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #8 - 06/11/10 at 12:13:38

yeah savage is alot cheaper used than 4k.. for 4k used and some good looking around you can probably get a sportster 883, vulcan 500-900, or a boulevard c50, or M50... so basically bikes that are bigger and the next step up in comfort and horsepower/torque.. but their also heavier and the sportster is top heavy and super common.  the bike does look alittle small when your riding it ya can't see most of the tank or engine because my legs completely cover 'em up.. you do feel slightly shifted forward as compaired to other bigger bikes, but that adds to handling and stability.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/11/10 at 12:25:20

Or, drop 2 K on the Savage & have 2 K left for gas, tires, maintenance & a trip er 2..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #10 - 06/11/10 at 13:36:29

^^^ Exactly my point ^^^

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:52:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm thinking of buying an S40. Questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.