Send Topic Print
How much seafoam (Read 239 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
How much seafoam
06/10/10 at 15:06:47

It says on the can ad 1 oz per gallon .People here seem to reccomend 1 oz per tankful which is less than 1/2 that .Can adding to much seafom to your gas cause a problem ? How often should you add it? Also ,is it a good idea to add marvel mystery oil to the gas once in a while ,and how much? Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How much seafoam
Reply #1 - 06/10/10 at 15:07:46

I drop a few ounces of diesel in mine once in a while, like months abart.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/10/10 at 17:13:27

rl153 wrote on 06/10/10 at 15:06:47:
It says on the can ad 1 oz per gallon .People here seem to reccomend 1 oz per tankful which is less than 1/2 that .Can adding to much seafom to your gas cause a problem ? How often should you add it? Also ,is it a good idea to add marvel mystery oil to the gas once in a while ,and how much? Thanks

If its the first time put 2 in after that 1 should do,,sea foam has oil in it.I put it in about every 2 months.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/10/10 at 17:36:53

I suggest, before you use either product, you find out what is really in them. Using your favorite search engine, type in the name of the product and the letters "MSDS." MSDS stands for "Material Safety Data Sheet" and it will tell you what is really in the product. You might have to root around a little. You will probably find that there is nothing useful in any additive. I don't remember the exact search term I used, but I found an interesting Department of Defense booklet saying the Army does not authorize the use of ANY oil or fuel additive, because they don't work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 06/10/10 at 19:14:18

Charon when is the last time you tried Sea Foam

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 06/11/10 at 05:46:52

Tell me, Bill, why I should put an additive of doubtful value into a machine which already runs just fine? How is it going to improve something that already works? Ever work the math? Seafoam costs about nine bucks for a pint, over fifty cents an ounce. Used at the recommended ounce per gallon, it raises the fuel cost over fifty cents per gallon. That's pretty expensive for a mixture of oil, naptha, and isopropyl alcohol. Until I see some truly controlled testing of Seafoam I will continue to believe it is snake oil.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/11/10 at 05:50:34

Charon you think your bike runs fine,Put some Sea Foam in it and you will see what running fine is like.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 06/11/10 at 06:06:05

Many years ago, before the Internet existed, a British bike magazine ran some tests of additives. They strapped a bike to a dynamometer (a real load dyno, not a Dynajet) and ran it up to full power. They then, with the machine running and making no other changes, poured various additives into the fuel tank. None made any difference in the power output, within the limits of their measuring systems. Bear in mind this was back in the Sixties, and I cannot remember what additives they tested. If you care to fund a repeat of that test and are willing to publish the results, feel free to do so and then to astound me with the amazing improvement wrought by Seafoam.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/11/10 at 06:13:27

Sea Foam isn't a fuel thats going to give you more horsepower,Its going to get your jets clean and keep your carb slide running smooth,so it reacts quicker.So you will always be getting max horsepower out of it at any speed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #9 - 06/11/10 at 06:19:08

I am a believer in Sea Foam - my bike was bought a month ago used 1996 had been setting for over a year - was sluggish - i drained the old gas put in new high octane and 1/4 can (4oz) of Seam foam - i put the sea foam in first before the gas and set the petcock to prime so the sea foam would be the first fluid in the carb - i let it set over night - the next day when i cranked it it actually idoled and did not die off it did not have any more hesitation - i just put the second tank of gas in it yesterday and added 2-3 oz sea foam - will continue this until the bottle of sea foam is used up......it cleaned my gunky carb and allowed me to ride without having to re-build the carb.....don't tell me this stuff does not work - i know first hand it does.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 06/11/10 at 06:38:18

Mark Twain said it best - "Faith is believin' somethin' you know ain't so." There are a lot of people with a lot of faith in Seafoam. As far as I know, no one has actually devised a test proving whether it does or does not work when added to fuel. That specifically includes its manufacturer. Seafoam's website says it slowly and gently cleans fuel system parts and intake valves. But that is just what the Federally mandated detergent package in gasoline is supposed to do, so one cannot isolate the effect of Seafoam from the effect of the detergent in the fuel. The Department of Defense pamphlet I found earlier says the military will approve fuel additives only if the manufacturer provides testing showing results of fuel with and fuel without the additive. The tests have to be repeatable, because a one-time test may be a fluke. It appears none of the additive makers have troubled themselves to do so, and with a fuel market as large as DoD they would sell a lot of additive - if the additives could be proven to  work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/11/10 at 09:23:24

Like Mark Twain said"Faith is believin somethin you know ain't so,Charon you believe Sea Foam doesn't work,You have faith in that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #12 - 06/11/10 at 09:27:41

Charon, you have made several valid points & I agree there's no magic fix in a bottle... Period.

Adding Seafoam to a perfectly fine engine will not produce more power. It's not gonna fix a burnt valve or a spun bearing either. It may clean and lubricate some, but is that really necessary? Maybe not, but a lot of folks believe in it.

Adding Seafoam is basically multiplying the amount of detergent that's already in gasoline. No, it's not a fix-all, but I can see where it may have a place when reviving an older engine. Weracerc took advantage of the extra detergent by cleaning out a neglected carb. Much like soaking it in solvent, only the lazy man's way (no offense Wera... it worked!).

I like the fact that you backed up your decision to not use Seafoam with data from the DoD, even if the DoD isn't always known for making the best decisions. Having said that, I wanna share that my father was a mechanic in the army in the 60's & continued as a mechanic until he died 8 years ago. Although it was not "official army procedure" to use additives, he occasionally would dump a cheap bottle of isopropyl alcohol ($.99 rubbing alcohol) into a fuel tank to help clean a neglected carb or injectors. Alcohol also attracts water, so it will help dry out any moisture from condensation or bad gas. An old trick he said he learned in the army. So I dunno, that was an opinion based on 40 some-odd years of experience.

I say... If you like it, use it. If not, don't...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 06/11/10 at 09:36:35

No one has ever said Sea Foam produced more power.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #14 - 06/11/10 at 10:45:19

Bill, did you read the whole post this time? Or was it too long for you again??

Try adding something constructive to a post every now and then. Back it up with real life experiences, or hard data.

I didn't state anyone had ever claimed it produced more power, did I?

You did say it will ensure "you will always be getting max horsepower out of it at any speed".
Now see, I find that claim very interesting... Would you like to share your dyno sheets, or how about a reply of more than 2 sentences of bullsh!t??? Something with some substance this time, please... We already know your opinion.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much seafoam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.