Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to do? (Read 227 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
What to do?
06/09/10 at 10:32:27

Over the winter I did some mods, white spacer, K&N filter and a HD Dyda with a 3/8 in hole in the baffle. I also rejetted the carb. per the great instructions on here. (I think from Bill?) The bike nows runs great and has a lot more power and the gas mileage is good. It has loud snap, crackle and pop on decel which I can control somewhat with the throttle. I really like the sound the way it is, but I do have an exhaust leak between the header pipe and the muffler which is probably causing most of the popping. My question is this. What kind of damage will I do if I don't fix the exhaust leak?  Undecided

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: What to do?
Reply #1 - 06/09/10 at 10:38:25

Deja vu...  I await answers with you....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/09/10 at 10:50:32

... eventually you'll shoot that center baffle plate out of your exhaust...
...ask me how I know... Huh...

'course,... eventually that will happen anyway, but a regular diet of good "kerpowies!" will speed it up...
mine lasted 16k miles... without an exhaust leak...

I don't imagine the reverse pressure from a big bang is good for the pipe or the exhaust valve either...  probably can loosen your header bolts some...?

Pops, blats, and poofs are normal,... kerpowies!,... aren't...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #3 - 06/09/10 at 11:02:11

Well that seems to be good news. Since I did the mods I don't have any "kerpowies" only snaps and pops and I really like those. I can control them on decel with a little throttle so I don't scare any old ladies.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #4 - 06/09/10 at 11:05:09

Oh yea, blats was the word I was looking for. On decel from 60, the beast sounds like a big cat clearing its throat! Grin

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 06/09/10 at 13:38:14

What did you use to fill up the difference between the metric header and the 1 3/4 inch muffler pipe?

On my Screaming Eagale Turn-out ( talk about decel rumble  Grin ), I had some Aluminum sheet metal that I cut to size.  Then I used some kind of tan goop exhaust pipe stuff I picked up at AutoZone.  It drys hard and is high temp stuff so it filled the voids very nicely.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - 06/09/10 at 14:37:44

I cut up a soda can and made a filler but did not use any paste. My problem is that it runs so well I don't want to screw it up a by fixing the leak. P.S. I bought the muffler from you.  Cheesy

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 06/10/10 at 13:21:08

Oldnewguy wrote on 06/09/10 at 14:37:44:
I cut up a soda can and made a filler but did not use any paste. My problem is that it runs so well I don't want to screw it up a by fixing the leak. P.S. I bought the muffler from you.  Cheesy

Thought so Smiley ... I'm happy that your happy.....

That is about half way between the stock and the SE I had.  

Hmmmmmm...  I should run by that Indy shop to see if they have any more take off's.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 06/10/10 at 15:17:14

Please do that. I am sure that I will be needing another one in the future. The dealer near me doesn't have any and said that most guys take them with them to sell on Ebay or such.  Sad

If I fix that leak will I have to re-jet or just do some screw adjustments? What do you think?  Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/10/10 at 18:22:58

If a leak is makin ya lean, its more than a leak.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #10 - 06/11/10 at 12:38:49

Splain that please.  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/11/10 at 12:47:31

If its just a small leak, it isnt creating so much more airflow than if it was wasnt leaking. Doesnt take a big leak to make it pop big time. Fix the leaks. Youll know if it needs rejetted. Have you done any rejet at all? If youve changed the airflow & havent changed the jets, then you most likely need to rejet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/11/10 at 12:53:05

Mine developed its' own two holes aboit 1/2 inch in diameter in the underside of the stock muffler.  As it gained miles the banging got louder and more frequent until once when I was stopped on a gravel road and looked down, I saw the dust puffs under the bike and the secret was out.
Fortunately I had a spare muffler from a parts bike.

Phelonus

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #13 - 06/11/10 at 13:47:21

Over the winter I removed the white spacer and put in just one out Lancer's kit. Replaced the pilot with 52.5 and main with 150. I did not have to adjust either the idle screw or the pilot screw, they were dead on perfect when I got done. The bike runs and sounds so great I hate to fix the leak and have to "fuss" with the jets again.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:32:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.