Thanks man, I need it,

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Re: Tough Decision
Reply #16 - 06/09/10 at 20:42:23

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use an aftermarket key switch instead of the stock one on my savage.  I really dont like the stock one, and cant ever seem to get the wiring right on it.  The book tells me its supposed to be red,grey,brown,and orange.  I have two oranges,red,and brown.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 06/09/10 at 22:14:14

Just remember that whenever you download a manual for free from the Internet, you are cheating somebody out of his royalties. The people who write those manuals put a good bit of work into them, and deserve to be paid.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #18 - 06/11/10 at 06:13:45

+1 what Charon said.  I downloaded the Clymer's and then bought a hard copy.  It's very convenient to have both.

Clymer's shows two oranges a grey and brown for 86-95 and no reds anywhere ever except the positive battery connector.  So I'd try red = grey.  When I dealt with this on my bike and had two oranges they were usually slightly different and I could get a hint which was which.  I also used the diagrams with a multi-tester to trace wires I was unsure about.  When it starts making you nuts just walk away.  Often it looks a lot different the next day, or week.  

I don't see any reason you couldn't use another switch but you'd still need to wire it.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 06/11/10 at 11:38:59

mikelhsr1982 wrote on 06/09/10 at 20:42:23:
Does anyone know if it would be possible to use an aftermarket key switch instead of the stock one on my savage.  I really dont like the stock one, and cant ever seem to get the wiring right on it.  The book tells me its supposed to be red,grey,brown,and orange.  I have two oranges,red,and brown.  

- Orange is switched power (output of the switch)( note: orange is switched power everywhere on the bike, but some wires have a extra stripe on them)
- red is unswitched power.  I forget if it comes from the battery or from the fuse block.  Don't have schematic in from of me.
- brown goes to the rear running light.  It's at the key switch for the "Park" setting which I was told is an European requirement.  Haveing the park setting, not the brown wire at the switch....

Never saw a free FSM to download.  But you can get them on ebay used.   If doing work inside the engine, the FSM seemed slightly better.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 05:44:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tough Decision

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.