Send Topic Print
Battery Breathe Tube (Read 109 times)
Aggie10
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery Breathe Tube
06/08/10 at 21:09:09

Is the battery breathe hose necessary? I purchased my savage used and being a newb i made the mistake of leaving it in the P position and that drained my battery dead.  so i went to Wal-mart to pick up the same exact battery as was in there before, however the battery's breathe tube was on the other side ( left side) it wasn't until I got home from putting the new battery in my bike that i realized that the previous owner had cut the left side flush so it would fit in the battery case.  i was considering doing the same but i figured i'd ask here first.  Any advice?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Battery Breathe Tube
Reply #1 - 06/08/10 at 21:14:16

Just cut a notch in the left side of the battery box and run the tube on that side,... I did...
Without it you may dribble acid...  that's never cool... Huh...
I don't have a CU photo, but you can just see the tube here... very discreet... Wink...

« Last Edit: 06/08/10 at 22:25:33 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/08/10 at 21:30:49

battery drain tube should hang down so any acids won't drip on the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/09/10 at 02:48:37

& NEVER use a grinder in a manner that would toss the sparks near that vent tube. I made my battery crack its case & spew acid around. Sounded about like a 22 going off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Aggie10
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/09/10 at 03:50:13

How would you recommend cutting this notch?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 06/09/10 at 07:07:32

take the Walmart battery back, and order a Big Crank - http://www.bigcrank.com/category/suzuki-l650-savage-all-battery.html

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Aggie10
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/09/10 at 07:57:38

Will they take a battery back that has already been opened and filled with the acid?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/09/10 at 08:06:56

I think I used a dremel w/ a cutoff disc,... but, even a hacksaw or good tin snips would probably do... then file or sand the edge a bit...
If you need one,.. I can try to post a close up pic later today...

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #8 - 06/09/10 at 08:07:34

Serowbot wrote on 06/08/10 at 21:14:16:
Just cut a notch in the left side of the battery box and run the tube on that side,... I did...
I don't have a CU photo, but you can just see the tube here... very discreet... Wink...

I stuck a Walmart battery in mine,same situation.I just routed the tube down the left side and secured it without notching my battery box.It works fine,but it's more of a wrangle to get the battery in there.If I do it again,I will cut a notch.I would think tin snips and pliers to bend it out and over would do it.
I don't know how the Walmart in your area is,but where I'm at,they would only exchange a battery that had been filled for another.

IP Logged
Aggie10
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/09/10 at 08:09:58

A close up pic would be great.  It's raining here and it's supposed to be raining until the weekend, and since i have no garage or shop i can just sit here and brainstorm.  I was thinking of drilling a hole to start and than dremel out the gap for the breathe hose.

IP Logged
Aggie10
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/09/10 at 08:12:36

ratz wrote on 06/09/10 at 08:07:34:
Serowbot wrote on 06/08/10 at 21:14:16:

I stuck a Walmart battery in mine,same situation.I just routed the tube down the left side and secured it without notching my battery box.It works fine,but it's more of a wrangle to get the battery in there.If I do it again,I will cut a notch.I would think tin snips and pliers to bend it out and over would do it.
I don't know how the Walmart in your area is,but where I'm at,they would only exchange a battery that had been filled for another.

my problem is getting the right side of the box to screw on, the part where the tool box latches on to.  Did you have this problem when you put the walmart battery in?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/09/10 at 10:30:42

Here's pics of the notch cutout...
PS,.. I did this years ago, 03' I think,... I have a sealed battery in there now... so, there's no hose...

side cover on...

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #12 - 06/09/10 at 10:44:11

Aggie10 wrote on 06/09/10 at 08:12:36:
ratz wrote on 06/09/10 at 08:07:34:

my problem is getting the right side of the box to screw on, the part where the tool box latches on to.  Did you have this problem when you put the walmart battery in?

Yep,that's where the aforementioned wrangling came into play!
It's do-able,But a notch WOULD make it easier!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:59:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Breathe Tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.