Send Topic Print
seat comfort (Read 203 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
seat comfort
06/08/10 at 11:57:53

So exactly what makes a seat comfortable? I read that some do modifications to their seats. Take for instance Piglet took the insides from one and used on another.
Some made shock adjustments.

I wasn't sure where to post my question so figured if this was the wrong place someone would point me in the right direction.

Also would a seat from a shadow fit on the S-40?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: seat comfort
Reply #1 - 06/08/10 at 12:35:25

I think a better shock does more than the seat,A wide and more patted seat is better.I have the Suzuki pillow gel seat which has better patting but its almost 1 inch narrower.It also pushes you forward about 3 inches which is bad for a tall person,I'm 5-6 so it just works one advantage of being forward is it puts more weight on the front of the bike,and makes it more stable.The seat I got or the Corbin seat isn't as wide as the stock seat.I don't understand why when you buy a seat to make it better why they don't make it wider.Also the S40 stock shocks are the stiffest shocks I every had on a bike and the shortest travel.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/08/10 at 13:03:09

I have lifted the front, and re-contoured the foam, plus put 12.5" shocks... and have a foe/sheepskin cover... (my bony a$$ has no cushion of it's own)...
... but, just using a piece of fake sheepskin as a seat cover makes a surprising amount of improvement and is only about ten bucks...
It also keeps the seat cool in summer and warm in winter... Highly recommended... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/08/10 at 15:33:47

Cute Tush!  Good Buns!  Some are not so good, maybe some old man needs suspenders.  Every person has a different butt to fit a different seat.

http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Online_Order_Detail.html
Bill Mayer starts with a picture of your bike on your bike, and a chalk of your butt to the saddle.  For $600.

I have a 13" wide springer seat.  Tried, again, again, and finally tried when my seat under my butt.  Sluggo found his 9" seat, tried, again, tried, and found that his used the springer on the front.

All you can do is what each person has used for the seat wanted on their butt.  Maybe a small high front lift, maybe a sheepskin pad.  All you can try is what MIGHT fit for you.  All we can say is what did worked for we.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 06/08/10 at 16:07:47

As for as a spring seat gos Gort had the best setup for comfort.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 06/08/10 at 18:20:04

I spent $60 for a real sheep skin seat cover. Mucho more comfortable. Like Serowbot says, warm when cold and cool when warm, and some extra pading to boot. I liked it so much, I kept it for the C50.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 06/08/10 at 21:43:30

I had the front of mine jacked up an inch or so, and that pretty well fixed it for me.  It didn't feel so much like I was riding on my tailbone, more of the weight was on my thighs, plus it lifted me up just a bit, which might not be as much of a plus for the vertically challenged. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
bushkanaka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/11/10 at 19:53:45

We modified a HD Sundowner to fit...AWESOME!!

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/12/10 at 00:29:29

I raised the front of my seat about 1.5-2 inches and cut the foam down a la diamond jim seat mod. Way more comfortable than stock IMO, plus it looks awesome. The only downside...If I hit a real big bump, and theres plenty of those in the immediate area, (within 2 miles) my boys tend to hit the seat before I do. Id say 2% of the time that translates to "AH!! I JUST SAT ON MY BOYS!!!" Though to be fare, most of those bumps I tend to gun it over with the intention of  launching myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:59:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › seat comfort

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.