Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thickness Of NEW Front Brake Pad (Read 136 times)
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Thickness Of NEW Front Brake Pad
06/08/10 at 11:46:22

I have a new set of front brake pads that seem a bit thick. Having difficulty getting them back on. I have done this before and didn't have any problems last time.

Does anyone have a set of NEW pads they can measure and tell me how thick they are? I found a measurement somewhere else that said they are 7mm thick new. I am not sure if that is pad material and plate or just the pad material. Measurements of of both would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Thickness Of NEW Front Brake Pad
Reply #1 - 06/08/10 at 18:53:33

I don't know the exact thickness, but can tell you how to solve the problem.  Don't throw out the thick pads or try to force them both on at once.  Just order a pair of EBC FA106 pads, which are thin.  Install one of them along with one of your thick pads.  Then when the EBC wears out, use the other thin/thick pair.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/09/10 at 00:09:03

Here's your thread -- tells you all about it

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199152819/0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #3 - 06/09/10 at 04:46:13

Boule’tard wrote on 06/08/10 at 18:53:33:
I don't know the exact thickness, but can tell you how to solve the problem.  Don't throw out the thick pads or try to force them both on at once.  Just order a pair of EBC FA106 pads, which are thin.  Install one of them along with one of your thick pads.  Then when the EBC wears out, use the other thin/thick pair.

Thanks for the advice. I might try that.

Flat Black 88

SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #4 - 06/09/10 at 04:48:14

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/09/10 at 00:09:03:
Here's your thread -- tells you all about it

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199152819/0

Thanks for that link! Why didn't that show up when I did a search? (No, I don't expect you to answer that. I was just wondering.) Looks like I am headed to the dealer tonight. Thanks again!

Flat Black 88

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 06/09/10 at 06:33:04

Dirty tricks for using search

Remember whatever you can remember about the actual  discussion .... for us old guys that isn't much.   And our discussions ramble and change topics at least twice in a good thread.   And sometimes what you are looking for is in the rambling rather than the topic itself (them are tough ones).

Limit the search for what you can remember.  In this case I remembered that we discussed cutting some custom rotors and worn rotors and rotor wear got discussed a lot.

So I cheated -- I knew it was in Rubber Side down and I had started the thread and "worn rotors" was in it.  So I searched for that and hit it the very first time.

If I had looked for brake pads it would have been endless, same for EBC or SBS -- but I would have found it eventually.

So that is how us old timers dig up old stuff out of search so durn reliably -- we remember the "excetera" strange unusual stuff and look for that instead of brake pads.

Helps a newbie a lot, don't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/09/10 at 09:50:29

Found something interesting on EBC's website. Check out the note.

The FA106 pads I just bought are 8.2mm thick and won't fit. But it appears that is the only way they sell them now.

Any other brands available?

Flat Black 88

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 06/09/10 at 09:56:10

Well, I just measured the pads shown in the thread and they are the old 7.11mm pad width.  

=======================

Danny, did you take a big C clamp and fully compress your caliper puck all the way back inside the housing?    

Just asking .....

=======================

At 8.2 mm it sounds like the EBC boys listened to us pregnant dog about being shorted a bunch of wear life with the thin 7mm thick pads and fixed that little irritation for us.

Do you own a finishing sander or a belt sander?   You can fix this issue you know.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/09/10 at 09:59:06

Take a big flat screwdriver put it in there and twist it they will open up.You could put just one side on if that doesn't work,And after it wears down put the other one on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #9 - 06/09/10 at 10:16:08

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/09/10 at 09:56:10:
Danny, did you take a big C clamp and fully compress your caliper puck all the way back inside the housing?    

Just asking .....

=======================

At 8.2 mm it sounds like the EBC boys listened to us pregnant dog about being shorted a bunch of wear life with the thin 7mm thick pads and fixed that little irritation for us.

Do you own a finishing sander or a belt sander?   You can fix this issue you know.

Used a small c-clamp then a big one (twice).

Funny thing about my finish sander... It got really hot (REALLY HOT) while using it this past Sunday. Then it quit working. No belt sander.

Think I might use bill's idea.

Flat Black 88

SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #10 - 06/09/10 at 10:19:51

bill67 wrote on 06/09/10 at 09:59:06:
Take a big flat screwdriver put it in there and twist it they will open up.You could put just one side on if that doesn't work,And after it wears down put the other one on.

I had tried that. Got all excited when it seemed it would work. Got it half way on then the pads get lined back up like they are supposed to be and it clamps down. Had to use the screwdriver to pry them back off.  Shocked

Thinking I will try your wear one pad down first idea.

Flat Black 88

Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #11 - 06/09/10 at 20:59:23

When I did my 1st pad change last year the dealer sold me the wrong pads. They were too thick. I took them back and fortunately got a full refund. The right sized pads installed with no issues at all.  

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #12 - 06/10/10 at 04:44:16

I went back to the dealer last night and explained my issue. They dug around and found a set of the FA106 pads that were a little older. The older but still in the package pads were 7mm. Took them home and they went right on, no problems at all. I just think EBC made the newer pads a tad too thick. If they would have been 8mm instead of 8.2mm I bet they would have worked.

Flat Black 88

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:43:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thickness Of NEW Front Brake Pad

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.