Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help... My S40 is stalling (Read 132 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Help... My S40 is stalling
06/06/10 at 15:59:23

Well, I finally took out the Airbox and installed a cone air filter (with K&N) Oil.  I also have Dyna muffler and header wrapped.  Looks nice.

Waiting for Lancer JetKit (got confirmation it is going out on monday!)

But I can't ride it.  Bike stalls when I stop or slow down. I am also getting black smoke.  What the hell?

After installing the cone air filter, when I started her up, she started fine at first but died about 30sec later.  I found that I can start her if I give her gas while pressing start.  So I increased the (thumb screw) idle setting.  So now it starts.  I also max increased the little brass screw to air/fuel.  It goes, but stalls when I stop or slow down.  I even tried riding with choke out, but same stalling.

Just wanting to confirm... can the problem be the intake and exhaust being too open without rejetting?  Will rejetting fix this or should I look at something else?

Thanks.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Help... My S40 is stalling
Reply #1 - 06/06/10 at 16:20:32

Start with the jetting. I'm running 155/55 main and pilot, airscrew about mid-range, idle at "rototiller" sound. Near open exhaust, no airbox door, paper filter, air snorkel intact as stock. And right now a DPR5EA-9 plug, stock fouls out quickly. Don't run this hot a plug for long though, I'm risking holing the piston every ride. I would suggest you run a DPR7EA-9 to help keep your top end from "coking up" under the extra fuel of rejetting. You'll know it is tuned right when it idles smoothly and you get no more black smoke out the tail pipe. Which didn't happen with mine running a stock plug.

Lean is good, too lean isn't. That jet kit is going to surprise you... in a good way.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 06/06/10 at 16:25:10

Thank you.  I will plan on replacing the spark plug.  Do you what what tools I will need?  Sorry, I am new to this.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/06/10 at 16:35:34

Easy way or hard way? I use a 10mm socket to pull the rear head cover bolt and swing the cover away from the plug hole. Then the plug wrench from the tool kit with whatever size wrench fits the end of it. HOWEVER, I run a completely different tank profile than stock. Can't remember if I could do that when it ran the stock tank.

If you have to do it the hard way, you'll be pulling the seat and tank. 10mm socket, extension, ratchet. Then yank the plug wire and use the stock tools to remove the plug. Can't remember if the chrome needs to be moved or not with the tank pulled.

I definitely don't miss the stock fuel tap being in the way of, um, anything I did to the engine.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #4 - 06/06/10 at 16:37:11

I don't have a stock tool.. what is the tool i need to remove the plug?  I will likely have to buy one  for this.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/06/10 at 16:51:22

Factory tool kit is AWOL huh? No worries, saves you from throwing stuff across the yard when (not if) the "tool" fails.

17mm plug socket, extension, ratchet. Confirm at Autozone, they carry NGK D series bike plugs. Stock is DPR8EA-9, all d-series plugs take the same socket.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #6 - 06/06/10 at 16:54:04

Thanks!

WD wrote on 06/06/10 at 16:51:22:
Factory tool kit is AWOL huh? No worries, saves you from throwing stuff across the yard when (not if) the "tool" fails.

17mm plug socket, extension, ratchet. Confirm at Autozone, they carry NGK D series bike plugs. Stock is DPR8EA-9, all d-series plugs take the same socket.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/06/10 at 18:47:04

Try running it without the air filter. If a K&N is over-oiled it will restrict the airflow making it run rich. If you're getting black smoke, it's too rich.
Always check the last work done whenever there is a drastic difference in performance.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #8 - 06/06/10 at 19:13:21

I just ran it without the cone filter.  I have to run it with the choke partially out, but no more black smoke.  without the choke it dies.  Could my problem be from too much K&N oil... some getting in the carb?

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 06/06/10 at 18:47:04:
Try running it without the air filter. If a K&N is over-oiled it will restrict the airflow making it run rich. If you're getting black smoke, it's too rich.
Always check the last work done whenever there is a drastic difference in performance.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/06/10 at 19:35:21

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #10 - 06/06/10 at 19:47:52

Ok thank you.  I will check the petcock but it was working fine before the Air filter.  The petcock and carb was not removed during the cone install.

Dang it... Could it be that I messed up the carb by oiling too heavy on the filter?  Now I hear continual sqweak sound when I rev on gas.

I read on other forum that running too much oil on filter can result in plug getting fouled and oil getting in throttle body?  What the hell is throttle body and where is this thing.  Do I need to clean that out?  How about the carb?  I do need to clean that out too?

what a mess.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #11 - 06/06/10 at 19:49:04

I feel like I have the mechanical ability of a 3 year old.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/06/10 at 20:17:03

Dont fret. My vote is on an over oiled filter. Generally with a dyna muffler and cone filter you'd be even more lean than factory settings unless you rejet, which you havent. For you to be richer than factory you'd have to make the exhaust more restrictive, the intake more restrictive, or rejet too rich. When you removed the filter altogether you had to use choke because you were too lean. With the filter you're too rich. Set everything back where you had it as far as the air screw  mix, wash the oil out of the filter, let it dry, and reoil it less liberaly and try again.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #13 - 06/06/10 at 20:35:36

Is this the right kind of 17mm tool?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200367524_200367524?cm_ven=Agg...

Thanks.

WD wrote on 06/06/10 at 16:51:22:

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #14 - 06/06/10 at 20:37:56

Thanks.  I will try again with less oil in few days.

Now do you think my plug is shot from running to rich for like 15 min?
Any thought on the sqweak sound when accelerating?  It sounds like it is coming from carb area.

BurnPgh wrote on 06/06/10 at 20:17:03:
Dont fret. My vote is on an over oiled filter. Generally with a dyna muffler and cone filter you'd be even more lean than factory settings unless you rejet, which you havent. For you to be richer than factory you'd have to make the exhaust more restrictive, the intake more restrictive, or rejet too rich. When you removed the filter altogether you had to use choke because you were too lean. With the filter you're too rich. Set everything back where you had it as far as the air screw  mix, wash the oil out of the filter, let it dry, and reoil it less liberaly and try again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:00:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help... My S40 is stalling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.