A little angry.... (Read 394 times)
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
A little angry....
06/06/10 at 11:06:37

So I go out today to play around with the savage for a bit, and it don't start. NOTHING. I push the starter and don't get anything. Not a click, not a cough, nothing. I might as well be trying to start the darn thing without the key in it. After a few minutes the neutral light slowly starts to fade, along with the other lights. What the hell happened???? The last time I started it was no more than a week ago and the freaking battery is brand new! I put it in no more than a month ago and it's a sealed maintanance free battery. What gives???

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: A little angry....
Reply #1 - 06/06/10 at 11:16:35

Tighten terminals?...

... or look for short... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 06/06/10 at 11:18:21

Sounds like a dead battery

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #3 - 06/06/10 at 11:22:02

Terminals are good, the battery is brand new. Fustrating.  Angry

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 06/06/10 at 11:22:25

return with receipt....if dead
shame...but it does happen

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #5 - 06/06/10 at 11:37:52

So that's the verdict? Dead battery?  Bought the darn thing on eBay so I'm probably effed.

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #6 - 06/06/10 at 11:51:16

what else can i look for? None of the electrics light up, nothing. i was cleaning the controls with some degreaser, but i already took apart the starter/kill switch control and its dry in there. how would i find a short?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
bobbed750
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/06/10 at 12:22:57

maybe a bad ground? should really check the voltage on the battery, i have had a month old battery develop a bad cell and be completely dead

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #8 - 06/06/10 at 12:47:26

bobbed750 wrote on 06/06/10 at 12:22:57:
maybe a bad ground? should really check the voltage on the battery, i have had a month old battery develop a bad cell and be completely dead

I'm looking for 12v right?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 06/06/10 at 13:10:58

I went through 2 brand new batteries from the dealer before I got a good one. They tested great but under load they both had a bad cell (or 2).   Angry

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 06/06/10 at 16:39:54

Check the fuses. Bike only has 2 and it only takes a micro-short to fry them. A bit of water in a connector will do it. Yeah, I mean condensation. Mine goes through fuses like a fat kid goes through M&Ms, I keep it outside and the fuse box fell apart years ago.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 06/06/10 at 16:46:38

First of all, disconnect one of the battery cables, then verify that the battery is fully charged,....and if it ain't, charge it. Yes, you need a voltmeter, or a charger that shows when its full charged. If it doesn't stay charged w/ cable disconnected, the battery is bad !

If the battery stays charged, then the battery is most likely good. Then connect one of the battery cables if it isn't already. After making sure everything on the bike is turned off, touch the last batt cable to the post on the battery and look for any continued sparking (best to do at night) if you see any continued sparking....no matter how small, there is a short somewhere in the electrical system. If no sparking, everything should be ok.

I have this feeling that the battery was not charged properly. Just because a battery starts the bike, that don't mean it was anywhere near full charged. Most battery failure is caused from sitting around 1/2 dead all the time, even if you ride the bike on short trips quite often. If the bike is not run for at least an hour or 2 everytime you start it, the battery state of charge is slowly going down hill, till all of a sudden one day it won't start. Sound kinda like your problem ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #12 - 06/06/10 at 17:52:38

After charging your battery and installing it back in your bike. Leave the pos cable off and hook up the neg cable. Now take a 12 V test light ( a 12 V single filament 1156 with 2 leads soldered on with gater clips is fine) and bridge between the pos battery terminal and the pos lead. Make sure everything is turned off . If the bulb shows any light at all , you have a short to ground somewhere in the system The brighter the light the bigger the short. The light will not glow at all if everything is normal. When hunting for a short, feel the wires as a wire that is shorted will be warm to the touch.
                                                                  Ride Safe
                                                                  Marine5317

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #13 - 06/06/10 at 18:00:56

Routy wrote on 06/06/10 at 16:46:38:
First of all, disconnect one of the battery cables, then verify that the battery is fully charged,....and if it ain't, charge it. Yes, you need a voltmeter, or a charger that shows when its full charged. If it doesn't stay charged w/ cable disconnected, the battery is bad !

If the battery stays charged, then the battery is most likely good. Then connect one of the battery cables if it isn't already. After making sure everything on the bike is turned off, touch the last batt cable to the post on the battery and look for any continued sparking (best to do at night) if you see any continued sparking....no matter how small, there is a short somewhere in the electrical system. If no sparking, everything should be ok.

I have this feeling that the battery was not charged properly. Just because a battery starts the bike, that don't mean it was anywhere near full charged. Most battery failure is caused from sitting around 1/2 dead all the time, even if you ride the bike on short trips quite often. If the bike is not run for at least an hour or 2 everytime you start it, the battery state of charge is slowly going down hill, till all of a sudden one day it won't start. Sound kinda like your problem ?

Yea it does sound kinda like it. It's not my daily driver so it only gets ridden on my days off fora few hours. I'm at work, but once I'm off tonight I'll head over to wal mart and buy a charger and a voltometer cuz I couldn't find mine anywhere earlier. But just to verify, when I disconnect the cable to check if it charges, am I looking for it to say 12volts? And does it matter which one I take off? I hope it's the battery man, but it's only a month old!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 06/06/10 at 18:10:31

A "new" battery is not necessarily a "charged" battery. EVERY new battery should be charged before it is ever installed. Get a low-rate charger, no more than two amps for the battery in the Savage/S40. Charge the new battery overnight, then install it. If you do not do that, you are almost guaranteed a short battery life.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:44:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A little angry....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.