Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: A little angry....
Reply #15 - 06/07/10 at 17:04:58

Quote:
But just to verify, when I disconnect the cable to check if it charges, am I looking for it to say 12volts? And does it matter which one I take off?  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are disconnecting a cable to check for a short,.....not for if it charges. It doesn't matter which cable you take off. I told you to check for sparks, but if you have a 12v test light, (everyone should have one) do like Marine 5317 says to do.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #16 - 06/07/10 at 21:36:54

So I was pretty sure it's the battery because the meter read an output of 9.34. I connected a motorcycle battery charger from wal mart at about 1am last night, it's pushing 10pm now and the fully charged light hasn't come on yet, is this how long it takes???

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #17 - 06/07/10 at 22:19:08

It can take all night.  Just be sure you dont have a short when u put it back in.  Watch how the cables mount to the battery, and make sure they are good and tight.  When I went to put my new one in, I shorted it out and melted my clutch cable, DOH!!!
Needed a new one anyway. Grin Grin

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 06/07/10 at 22:20:11

If its a 1 1/2 amp charger on a 20 amp hr battery, it seems like it would be charged by now. But leave it on till morning.

I hope you left a cable disconnected just in case you have a short in the system. If there is a short or something is left on, the charger never will show full charge.

Check the voltage on the battery while charging,....it should be in the hi 13 or 14 volts by now.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #19 - 06/07/10 at 22:47:01

Routy wrote on 06/07/10 at 22:20:11:
If its a 1 1/2 amp charger on a 20 amp hr battery, it seems like it would be charged by now. But leave it on till morning.

I hope you left a cable disconnected just in case you have a short in the system. If there is a short or something is left on, the charger never will show full charge.

Check the voltage on the battery while charging,....it should be in the hi 13 or 14 volts by now.

It's not in the bike so nothing is connected, the meter is at a steady 15. Should I still leave it or am I gonna cause harm to it

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 06/07/10 at 22:58:19

What I was told, is those meters aren't worth a sh!t.
But regardless of what amperage it's charging at... 24 hours should be fully charged.  

If it's brand new, take it back.

If it's old, then get a new one.

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #21 - 06/08/10 at 00:21:39

The battery finished charging so I popped it back in and it started right up on the first try! That's a relief! Thanks to ALL of you for your help!!! Saved me a lot of kicking and cursing!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 06/08/10 at 00:23:19

I had the very same problem once and it drove me nuts. I found out the bolt on the bottom of the kickstand was loose. Most likely the  battery but check it anyway. If the kickstand is  loose the bike will do nothing.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 06/08/10 at 00:24:10

I had the very same problem once and it drove me nuts. I found out the bolt on the bottom of the kickstand was loose. Most likely the  battery but check it anyway. If the kickstand is  loose the bike will do nothing.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #24 - 06/08/10 at 04:55:35

If the charger has a float/maintain stage in it, it may get to near 15 volts just before it goes into float mode, which then will drop to 13.4 maximum, and which is  thenok to leave connected as a maintainer charger. check the voltage, and check for a short in the system !

Rich
  IP Logged
derder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/10/10 at 15:37:49

Shutting the bike off and unknowingly leaving the key in the "Park" position will run a battery down, not that I have any first-hand experience of this of course  Roll Eyes

Happy riding,
Kirk

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #26 - 06/11/10 at 06:39:06

i got my used bike a month ago - the battery was supposedly new but had been setting for a while - the day i got the bike it started - due to papaerwork issues i did not try to ride it for almost 3 weeks - the bike would barely turn over - the lights dimmed - i checked voltage 11.1v...i went to walmart and got the $20 battery charger/maittainer - it took from 8PM to 8AM the next morning for the battery to show charged - i started riding the bike last week - and i dont ride more than 10 miles a day (work and back) - but i put the battery on the charger every night and it cranks every morning......

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 12:21:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A little angry....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.