Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just about laid her down tonight! (Read 184 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Just about laid her down tonight!
06/04/10 at 20:09:23

Did some riding today, then got a late start on my oil change. Took it out about 8pm for a quick shakedown and caught some hiway construction so I took the country roads back home at my turn around. Got stuck between two trucks. The one in front of me was sightseeing and the one behind was apparently trying to look over my shoulder as close as he was following. Tried to keep a good distance behind sightseer without becoming a hood ornament for yahoo #2 when #1 took a wild swerve to the center line. Looked up just in time to see a dead something? (huge racoon or small dog) in my headlights. Yahoo #2 was still trying to read my speedometer for me so there wasn't much to do but accellerate and go right over it! Darned handy - those MSF classes I took - worked like a charm! Glad it wasn't a skunk and no flat tire! This finally woke up #2 who slowed down just in time for me to brake before getting run off the road by #1 coming back in his lane. I could see the grass along the right side buckhorn but remembered not to look where you don't want to go! Thankfully a 1/2 mile down the road we came to a crossroad and #1 decided to go check the weather somewhere else. I was still a little shook so I pulled to the right and gave yahoo #2 a chance to pass which he declined. I dunno,maybe he was afraid I'd get his license or was waiting for me to do another trick or something. My exit into town came up and I poured on the juice just to get away from the whole thing.
 Got home and checked everything out. The bike's gonna need a good cleaning, got a few tufts of fur to dislodge, but no worse for wear. Surprisingly I'm not shook, mad, scared...just suddenly exhausted and glad to be home in one piece!
 Well it WAS a nice night for a ride... Roll Eyes

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Just about laid her down tonight!
Reply #1 - 06/04/10 at 20:48:07

Me too, no dead animals though.
splittin' lanes as usual, maybe 10 mph faster than traffic
guy decides to change lanes, no signal, I'm right on his ass.
musta looked like that eyeball helmet, only 2 poppin' out at 'em.
just turned with him, broke, went behind him.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/04/10 at 22:04:54

I think you handled it pretty well,...

...a toast to you,... Cheers!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/04/10 at 22:19:54

good riding, it's times like that you need a ships fog horn, Iv'e always said truckers are the worst drivers on the road.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #4 - 06/04/10 at 22:41:59

Ride safe.  

I f*d up, myself about a week ago.  I was the one not paying good enough attention though, and a sudden stop from the car in front of me..I jacked up the brakes pretty hard (I had to) and lost the rear tire.  I stayed upright, but didn't enjoy the close call.  Sad

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 06/05/10 at 00:28:23

Nice to hear you all survived your near accidents.
Southpaw remember you only have a few days left before heading off to ride the Dragon. Stay safe.. Smiley

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/05/10 at 21:13:08

Thanks for all the good wishes folks, just glad it turned out well.
sorry for the rant - just had to vent!
Sockmonkeygirl - glad you stayed upright also. Sometimes the close calls keep us from getting too comfortable. Stay sharp. I'll ride safe if you will!  Wink

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 06/06/10 at 05:08:39

Well done you guys, crashing sucks.  If that happened to me, the seat would need a good cleaning as well.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/06/10 at 06:31:22

Southpaw, sounds like you have good set of survival skills.   How are you recovering from the "next week" collywobbles?

Me, I always get a little skitty for a week or so after someone takes a good run at my life ....  but that's just me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 06/06/10 at 19:03:29

What's been going on lately?

I had the Triumph out with two buddies on BMW's.  I was in the rear and we hit some great twisties.  I actually scraped boot sole and pegs on both sides, but I was a bit too hot going into one left-hander.  I found myself suddenly dirt-riding the grassy shoulder.  Astonishingly, I slowed down and popped back onto the road, which resulted in all sorts of "interesting" motions of the bike.

No harm done -- except to my ego and sphincter.  As I said, I was last so the whole incident fell under the "don't ask, don't tell" rule.  Still, I bet they wondered why I wasn't keeping up quite as well, and kept pulling shrubbery out from my shift lever!

Now, if bad things come in three's, we're over this cycle.  Let's all take a deep breath and learn from the experience!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/06/10 at 21:30:02

Wow! Good thing you handled this ditch better than the last one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 06/07/10 at 05:02:01

You 2 guys show that not  panicing and knowing how to handle situations can save your butt.. Nice you made it out of the tough situations and were able to post positive info about it.  Smiley

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #12 - 06/07/10 at 10:21:04

kimchris1 wrote on 06/07/10 at 05:02:01:
You 2 guys show that not  panicing and knowing how to handle situations can save your butt.. Nice you made it out of the tough situations and were able to post positive info about it.  Smiley

Thanks, but there's been an executive level decision.  I shall be enjoying the scenery more on our public highways and save the peg scraping for a track day -- preferably on a rental bike!   Grin

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/07/10 at 21:12:46

I play the peg scraping game some, BUt, I run the road first & make sure its not gained a new hazard, like a spill in a corner or heavy dirt or leaves or those blasted Gum Balls outta the elm trees..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - 06/07/10 at 22:13:34

Wow, glad to hear everyone's ok! Shocked

I've only scraped a peg (board) on the new ride once, and that was at low speed, on a roundabout.  It's not as forgiving of hard leans though as the Savage was.  I like pushing it into the corners a little, but I'm not intentionally looking to scrape the boards.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:04:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just about laid her down tonight!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.