Ebay Mufflers (Read 303 times)
eriver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ebay Mufflers
06/03/10 at 23:26:10

Hey folks,

Has anyone ever tried the cheap mufflers from ebay? Some claim to be Harley Davidson mufflers, some just homemade I guess. I hate the stock mufflers but can't really afford a Supertrapp or Jardine. I was looking at stuff like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120479625115&ss...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-S40-BORED-HARLEY-SPORTSTER...

Another thing, would I have to rejet the carb if changing the stock muffler to any of these? Is that hard or doable by someone with little mechanical experience?

Opinions would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
E

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Ebay Mufflers
Reply #1 - 06/04/10 at 08:02:52

The prices they are asking for these mufflers is much too high.  I bought my HD muffler #64941-01 from Ebay for around $30.00.  Some members have purchased theirs very cheaply from Harley dealers, who remove them from new bikes.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 06/04/10 at 09:27:47

I bought TWO brand new discontinued "Dyna Power" mufflers off ebay for 40 bucks plus shipping.
I love 'em
If you're near a harley dealer you can probably get a take off HD Dyna AND a clamp for 20-30 bucks...
Depending on how the bike reacts with the new pipe...yes re-jet. I'd never done it and it wasn't bad at all...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/10/10 at 04:26:58

These are priced way to high.
As mentioned already, HD mufflers can be found on ebay for as low as $25 for a pair if them, + shp;  or a local HD shop.

As an example look at this sale.  This auction has 3 days to go and there is no reserve price so if you bid the starting price and no one else does then you get the pair for $3.99 + the $14 shp cost.

HARLEY DAVIDSON MUFFLERS /EXHAUST SPORTSTER 97  

Starting bid: US $3.99
Shipping: $14.00 US Postal Service Parcel Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-MUFFLERS-EXHAUST-SPORTSTER-97-...

IP Logged
eriver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/10/10 at 22:22:06

Cool, thanks guys. I might just check out a store around here, since most sellers don't ship to Canada.

And just to be sure, these will fit the savage without any mods right?

Thanks again!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/11/10 at 03:08:16

The HD mufflers have a 1 3/4" ID, which is just slightly larger than a stock LS650, but the difference can be made up two ways.  One is to just cut a strip out of a soda can, wrap it around the end of the header and then slide the HD muffler on and clamp it down.  The aluminum strip takes up the extra space and also aide sealing when clamped.
The other way which some folks like is to have a local muffler shop makes a short piece of pipe  with a slight bend in it from the header to the muffler so that both are sized exactly and also adds severaly inches which puts the end of the muffler just past the rear brake mechanism.

IP Logged
Trish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/17/10 at 07:06:33

I just purchased and received a "Harley" dyna muffler off of eBay - how do I know it's authentic? Thought I got a GREAT deal until I read these posts!
Also - another problem - yesterday, I put the kickstand down before I put it in neutral (just got this little bike, was a Harley girl and wasn't used to the kill switch) and, obviously, the bike died.
I put it back into neutral to start it again, and it popped, snapped, wouldn't turn over - and the neutral light went out - bike is DEAD.
Any suggestions? Was a LONGGGGGGGG push to put it into the barn.
Another ? while I'm asking - I got some saddlebag supports, and can't figure out where the two bolts go - one one front of fender "rack" and 2nd one where - take out taillight????? HELP  :'(

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/17/10 at 07:36:59

Check the fuse under the right side of seat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/17/10 at 07:39:45

Feel under the fender about half way to taillight you will feel the other bolt.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Trish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/17/10 at 08:12:02

Going out to check now - you JUST may be my new hero Wink

IP Logged
Trish
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/17/10 at 10:06:51

Well, found the two bolts underneath the fender (where I'm guessing these are supposed to go, as there isn't enough "give" between the chrome support & fender) and they're just WAYYY not long enough...WTF???

and BTW, took the seat off, powered right up... (another WTF?)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/18/10 at 11:29:40

Cut the kickstand switch wires, take a small wire nut and twist the wires together. That stupid "safety" switch is hazardous to your riding health. They tend to fail going down the road. Shuts off the bike and down you go. I put a jumper wire in the clutch switch plug as well.

Pull a fender bolt, go to Lowes and get  4 about 3/4" longer. Buy satinless if they have the right size, the stock bolts are cheap and rust readily.

Oh, and it sounds like you have a wire pinched by the seat. Pretty common. Look for a flattened one and reroute it away from the stock location.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:16:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ebay Mufflers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.