Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Southern New England Savage Wrenchers/Mechanics? (Read 133 times)
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Southern New England Savage Wrenchers/Mechanics?
06/03/10 at 21:42:32

I was wondering if there are any southern New Englanders(RI, MA, CT), that could assist me with wrenching on my 2004 Savage? No worries, I am not asking for 100% free help. I have some mechanical ability and not afraid to get my hands dirty, just lack the confidence to mess with the engine alone.  

I am new to bikes, somewhat new to the area and having a hardtime finding someone trustworthy to work on my bike.  Or if you can point me to a honest mechanic that could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: Southern New England Savage Wrenchers/Mechanic
Reply #1 - 06/04/10 at 06:29:07

I'm in Boston.  I'm no mechanic but I'm learning as I go.  Let me know what kind of work you're thinking of.

IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #2 - 06/04/10 at 19:10:55

I have a 2004 Savage with +4K miles.  I was looking to adjust the valves/retorquing the head.  I'm also going to need new tires soon, & probably put on back brakes while the wheels are off.  Taking the rear wheel off and back on, putting the belt back on correctly also concerns me.

I'm noticing some topend noise & starting to become paranoid about riding.  Perhaps purchasing and installing the Verslavy.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/04/10 at 19:16:46

I wouldn't start taking it a part jap bike are good for a lot of miles,some have went 50000 miles with the s40 with no problems.The back brakes can be good for 30000 miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #4 - 06/04/10 at 19:51:34

I haven't done a Verslavy or valve adjust yet but the rest of it is a piece of cake.  I figured I would remove my own wheels and have the tires mounted professionally but then I read a  bit in the tech forum that made it sound not much harder than bicycle tires so I might try that someday.  I  won't need them for a while so haven't really decided.

Like Bill said it sounds pretty early to worry about some of the things you mention.  I don't how much top end noise is normal -- anybody?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/04/10 at 20:38:50

you'll always have a little tick either when cold or hot.

I'd do the valve adjust 1st, not knowing if you had the 1st service, I'd say it's time.

Key thing to remember, you shouldn't have to adjust it much and most likely if it's ticking it's loose.

WWW   IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #6 - 06/04/10 at 20:41:18

My bike/mc endorsement is 2 years old & I've only put on 1,200+ miles.

My back brakes are squeaky, pretty sure they are OEM and they seem to be louder when its humid out; my front brakes needed to be changed.  

For my tires, the local stealerships are telling me in order for them to change them, I must remove them from the bike.  Again I'm concerned about placing the back wheel/belt on correctly.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/04/10 at 20:42:33

You dont need a mechanic. You're one in the making. Get yourself a clymers manual and maybe a suzuki service manual, read read read here on the site, ask questions when you need to. You'll be good to do anything necessary on the bike in short order.

IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #8 - 06/04/10 at 21:27:22

verslagen1 wrote on 06/04/10 at 20:38:50:
you'll always have a little tick either when cold or hot.

I'd do the valve adjust 1st, not knowing if you had the 1st service, I'd say it's time.

Key thing to remember, you shouldn't have to adjust it much and most likely if it's ticking it's loose.

Yes i started noticing the ticking with helmet on but it has been warm here. I've noticed it lately, but its been in the 90s which is kinda warm for us this time of year.  

I was told that the spark plug, oil, & front brakes had been done before. From reading this site, I changed the oil anyway, because it had been sitting for the winter and who knows what oil they used(please no oil debates, lol).

Speaking of oil, I've developed the speedo cable leak. Is it possible to be leaking up top of the cable or is fixing the bottom of it solve the leak?

Oh and I've added the (mini) crash bars too(the stealership wanted to charge me $85 to put them on). This state is bad for hit and runs.  My last car twice within 30 days, 2 different locations.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/04/10 at 22:40:56

speedo cable leak...
oil comes up from the case.
if you still have the original O-ring in the bottom of the cable, it could be worn out.
most likely you've lost it, it will fall out when the cable is taken off from the case.
replace with a regular O-ring, harbor freight sells a nitrile kit that's compatible with oil.

WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #10 - 06/04/10 at 22:45:55

Where is ur loc exactly?  I'm in western ma(Holyoke). I've been meaning to retorque my head bolts, but been to lazy.  Just adjusted my valves although barely needed it at 8.5k.  I've got a 2002 with a few cosmetic mods and a jardine exhaust.  I want to rejet carb and add a cone filter.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #11 - 06/08/10 at 19:21:17

@ James. Sorry crazy last few days at work. Anyway, I'm in Northern, RI.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:35:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Southern New England Savage Wrenchers/Mechanics?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.