Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Southern New Englanders... (Read 206 times)
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Southern New Englanders...
06/03/10 at 20:51:58

I was wondering if there are any southern New Englanders(RI, MA, CT), that could assist me with wrenching on my 2004 Savage? No worries, I am not asking for 100% free help.
I am new to bikes, somewhat new to the area and having a hardtime finding someone trustworthy to work on my bike.  

Thanks in advance!   Smiley

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Re: Southern New Englanders...
Reply #1 - 06/03/10 at 21:26:35

With a name like CaramelQT, I might make the drive from Ohio...lol Grin

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #2 - 06/04/10 at 14:09:06

Pretty funny doc! Smiley  That is one hell of a commute though.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 06/04/10 at 17:07:53

CaramelQT wrote on 06/03/10 at 20:51:58:
I was wondering if there are any southern New Englanders(RI, MA, CT), that could assist me with wrenching on my 2004 Savage? No worries, I am not asking for 100% free help.
I am new to bikes, somewhat new to the area and having a hardtime finding someone trustworthy to work on my bike.  

Thanks in advance!   Smiley

Caramel,first you should get the Manuel for your year bike,they are very close but earlier models had 4 speeds, then try an easy job like changing the spark plug, Just about every job you do on the Savage will mean taking off the Saddle and the gas tank, very easy once you get the hang of it, there is a little trick getting the tank off ,but you will deffinatly need the book. Do you have a friend you ride with ? always easier with two heads. Good luck and you can put your self at ease ,you did buy the perfect bike,the longer you have the more you like it.
                                         Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #4 - 06/04/10 at 18:26:31

Mick I do have a manual.  I have done some small things, like change the oil and filter, put pigtails on the battery for charging, change the front brakes, put on saddlebags, put on a windshield, & change the headlight.  

The thing is Mick, I don't have a riding buddy either.  Also, when I think about tinkering with the engine alone, it's somewhat overwhelming.  It's the only one I have and it's pretty expensive to fix or replace.  See where I'm going with this... lol   Wink

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #5 - 06/04/10 at 18:50:21

CaramelQT wrote on 06/04/10 at 18:26:31:
Mick I do have a manual.  I have done some small things, like change the oil and filter, put pigtails on the battery for charging, change the front brakes, put on saddlebags, put on a windshield, & change the headlight.  

The thing is Mick, I don't have a riding buddy either.  Also, when I think about tinkering with the engine alone, it's somewhat overwhelming.  It's the only one I have and it's pretty expensive to fix or replace.  See where I'm going with this... lol   Wink

Yes I do ,it can be daunting ,what year is the bike and how many miles on it ? Looks like you are doing real well up to now, read the book on your next project and settle down and do it, you may not have to get into the engine for quite a while yet,depending on mileage.
Do you have a garage to keep the bike if you don't finnish in one day?
by the time you need engine work you will have a riding buddy.
And then you have winter coming ,you will have a few months to do your work, just take your time ,eventually you will love working on it.
I did mine.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #6 - 06/04/10 at 20:53:32

Mick: 2004 Savage with 4.1k+ miles.  I am hearing some top end noise and would like to get it checked out and get the needed adjustments.  I got my bike/mc endorsement 1 1/2 years ago. The license came first after taking the required 16 hour class on the Honda Rebel 250, bought the bike 3 months later.  

Yes I do have a garage to work on and store her.  I am paranoid to ride her right now until I get it checked out because of the noise. I don't want to destroy the engine and parking her makes me sad Sad

FYI, I moved on this coast from Beaverton Wink  

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/04/10 at 21:06:23

CaramelQT wrote on 06/04/10 at 20:53:32:
Mick: 2004 Savage with 4.1k+ miles.  I am hearing some top end noise and would like to get it checked out and get the needed adjustments.  I got my bike/mc endorsement 1 1/2 years ago. The license came first after taking the required 16 hour class on the Honda Rebel 250, bought the bike 3 months later.  

Yes I do have a garage to work on and store her.  I am paranoid to ride her right now until I get it checked out because of the noise. I don't want to destroy the engine and parking her makes me sad Sad

FYI, I moved on this coast from Beaverton Wink  

Dang it you were 20 minutes away,why the move ? if you don't mind me asking. I will admit this has been a year of lousy weather. I'm getting sick of it,rain all day today.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/04/10 at 21:14:33

forgot to mention top end noise could be just the valves need adjusted , fairly simple job, of course they are all simple once you have done them , as I take things off the bike I used to put them in a zip lock bag and write on the bag what the part was,and most important where it goes.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/04/10 at 22:00:12

Hey QT'y,...
Sorry I'm too far away,  but from what you've tackled already, you've shown yourself to be willing and competent...
Hang on for a few,... and if no offers local offers show, just dig in, and there are many of us here to walk you through any obstacles...
BTW,... welcome to the Savage world... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/05/10 at 02:49:48

Yea, what he said. Unless you're just a " I dont know what a wrench is" kind of person, theres no regular maintenance that you cant do. If you want to be able to ride it & afford it, youll want to wrench on it. The valve adjust is not complicated. Its kinda hard to get a hand into places, but its not something to be afraid of. You might go to a mechanic & get it done the first time, so you can see how its done. I did. After I saw it, I decided Id never pay to have something that simple done again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #11 - 06/08/10 at 19:47:55

@ Justin. Sorry hectic last few days at work. Anyway, I was looking to watch and/or help so I can do it myself next time.  

I would do it blindfolded myself before taking my bike to the local dealership.  They screwed up ordering stuff for me on more than one occasion.

IP Logged
crabpainter

Look Twice Save A
Life    

Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/08/10 at 20:21:16

Originally from CT but now in the bluegrass. Wish I could help.
Have you looked at this?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1255580802

Interested in pre 70's British bikes or Hodaka's.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/08/10 at 20:53:22

doc5446 wrote on 06/03/10 at 21:26:35:
With a name like CaramelQT, I might make the drive from Ohio...lol Grin

and that was my second choice for my handle here....

IP Logged
CaramelQT

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

RI
Reply #14 - 06/09/10 at 19:56:36

Crabpainter, why yes I have.  I was just looking for a hand before the can of curse words get opened up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:05:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Southern New Englanders...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.