Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Acceleration Noise Question (Read 105 times)
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Acceleration Noise Question
06/03/10 at 18:41:26

My bike has the Verslagen two hole cam chain tensioner update. The bike is an '06 S40 with a little over 4000 miles. My mechanic thought the chain was too loose in the standard hole so he used the tighter one. Could this make the chain too tight? What kind of noise would it make if too tight? It is hard to describe this noise. The sound is most noticable when the bike has been ridden 5 miles or more. It makes the sound on acceleration. I have come to think it is a strange version of spark knock. It is not the usual pinging or rattling often associated with preignition or spark knock. Using premium gas has no effect. However, it was much worse when using Sea Foam in the gas. In fact, I thought the sound was cured after draining the tank and using fresh fuel. The sound has returned. Maybe it is caused by the alcohol in most of our gas these days. I relate it to spark knock since it mostly occurs on acceleration...even light acceleration and when the engine is hot. I will try to describe the sound. It seems to come from the head or maybe the lower right clutch side of the engine. It sounds like it is related to ignition when the throttle is advanced. It is not a knock, but more like the clutch basket touching the engine case on acceleration, yet not the harsh sound expected with a scrape. The pitch is medium to high.  Sorry I can't describe it any better. Could this sound be coming from a too tight cam chain? The bike has had the valves adjusted and the white washer mod as well as the idle mixture screw adjusted. Otherwise it is stock. It runs good and strong as if the sound was meaningless. It is just annoying and tends to dominate my mind when I should be enjoying the ride.

Thanks for any and all help solving this worrisome sound....Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Acceleration Noise Question
Reply #1 - 06/03/10 at 18:55:28

... just to rule it out,.. Try a little lube on the drive belt, see if the sound changes...
Unless he totally jammed the cam adjuster in place, it should be only as tight as the spring pushes it...
Could be a broken piece of guide rubbing against something?...

Just throwing out ideas... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/03/10 at 19:12:18

Well, I was writtin' a whole bunch of stuff about the cam chain and then the power went out, so I don't think that's it.

but for my info, how tight was it?  you didn't bottom out the pin in the slot did you?  If not, it's ok then.

so it sounds like you don't have the noise at idle?
and you have to be moving to hear it?

Check the torque on the drive pulley.
if it gets loose, the splines can be worked back and forth till they're eatin' away.

WWW   IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #3 - 06/03/10 at 19:18:53

Verslagen, You have to be accelerating to hear it. Does it in all gears except 1st. Seems it needs more strain on the engine to make the noise than you can produce in 1st. Like spark knock, but not the usual sound associated with that....Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/03/10 at 19:37:00

I think that's it then.
get a wrench and twist that tighty on tight.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Acceleration Noise Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.